Page 1 of 2
Bit of an odd one so i'll make a hypothetical scenario to help.

Say you follow two people in a normal day, one of them is a master musician and one of them doesn't play. Do you think you could tell which one was which without watching them play? Do you think that there is any way of telling if someone is a proficient musician just by the way they act?

Is there anything in particular that you're looking out for?
are there any character traits that you'd assume would make you a musician..

Is there anything about being a musician that changes your day to day life is what I'm asking i guess

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
A musician will have a larger ego, dick, and IQ than a mere mortal.
I would say the only real tell is appearance, I would be more likely to believe someone with long hair, sunglasses and a band shirt was a musician than someone in more plain/formal clothes, and of course the obvious stuff like if they carry a guitar with them or talk about music a lot.
Some of the greatest blues artists of all time looked like your normal everyday people, acted like it too. Most skilled musicians that aren't super famous would be very hard to pick out. Hell, in Austin, everyone and their grandma is a skilled musician.

I think it's pretty obvious.

...It's insanely hard to find a picture of an "average person" on the Internet. Drew Carey was the best I could do, okay?

On topic, I'm a musician, and I don't think you could tell from looking at me, especially since I cut my hair. I'm a pretty average looking guy. The only telltale sign is I still wear band T-shirts a lot, but it's not like you have to be a musician to wear a band T-shirt.

Besides, I play guitar, that's like one of the most common instruments to play. Since high school, I don't even blink when someone tells me they play guitar.
Last edited by CaptDin at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by CaptDin

I think it's pretty obvious.

...It's insanely hard to find a picture of an "average person" on the Internet. Drew Carey was the best I could do, okay?

drew carey is a musician. he can play instruments...
The real musican would probably sling his dick around in helicopter fashion at traffic, but ONLY if it's a Tuesday.

The non musician would probably plaster his bum with a broomstick.

I really don't think I could tell
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by alexgepgepgep
If they tap their foot or keep time to any sound around them.

I do this so much, and it gets on a lot of people's nerves. I find my self tapping to an oscillating fan, or dripping water. Pretty much any repetitive sound I hear gets converted into a beat. I even find that I'll do things to whatever song is floating through my head. And of course, people always give me the stink eye because I'm disrupting them from studying or something. BITCH IF YOU'RE TRYING TO STUDY, GO TO ONE OF THE DOZEN LIBRARIES ON CAMPUS.

/rant
Quote by Dio10101
If they play guitar, they aren't a master musician. Or so a lot of wind players tell me.

Bleh, wind players are full of hot air.

*badum, tsh!*
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Check if the suspect is air-drumming or air-bassing.

That would make every black dude pounding his fist to a rap beat a musician. Which I guess is technically true...
Ask them there name, whoever has the crazier name is obviously the musician.
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

I'm glad someone else pointed out that Drew Carey is a musician. He's jammed with members of the Eagles. What have YOU done?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
My guitar teacher in high school could hear literally any noise and tell you what note it was. He once told us that the lawn mowers at school made a G flat.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

Quote by SilentHeaven109
I would say the only real tell is appearance, I would be more likely to believe someone with long hair, sunglasses and a band shirt was a musician than someone in more plain/formal clothes, and of course the obvious stuff like if they carry a guitar with them or talk about music a lot.

Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Dio10101
If they play guitar, they aren't a master musician. Or so a lot of wind players tell me.
Tell those wind players that they're idiots.

Although, if your name is Herman Li, you're not a master musician.

OT: I usually expect a musician to have some sort of eccentric behavior.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by CaptDin
That would make every black dude pounding his fist to a rap beat a musician. Which I guess is technically true...

Also, to StewieSwan, I was obviously generalising, of course there are exceptions
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Sep 14, 2010,
Quote by hildesaw
I do this so much, and it gets on a lot of people's nerves. I find my self tapping to an oscillating fan, or dripping water. Pretty much any repetitive sound I hear gets converted into a beat. I even find that I'll do things to whatever song is floating through my head. And of course, people always give me the stink eye because I'm disrupting them from studying or something. BITCH IF YOU'RE TRYING TO STUDY, GO TO ONE OF THE DOZEN LIBRARIES ON CAMPUS.

/rant

I read this in Dave Chapelle's voice.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by mrfinkle213
My guitar teacher in high school could hear literally any noise and tell you what note it was. He once told us that the lawn mowers at school made a G flat.

My radio professor taught us that the buzz fluorescent lights make is almost a perfect B flat, and when you ask an American (I think it has to do with using AC as opposed to DC) to hum, they will hum a near perfect B flat
Quote by Chikao42
I read this in Dave Chapelle's voice.

Funny, my voice is pretty much exactly like Dave Chapelle's. Except for I have a Midwest accent, and none of the dynamics of his voice.
They have callouses, for a guitar/bass player. They have a beat in their step, drummer. They sing at random times, singer. They are pretentious pricks, most everything else.

So, no, I probably couldn't.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Violinists get hickeys on their neck a lot.

Brass players (dunno about woodwinds) have stronger and more prominent cheek muscles.

Trained singers have a certain sing-songy quality to their voices when they talk.
Quote by crazy8rgood
Bleh, wind players are full of hot air.

*badum, tsh!*

We can also use our lips and tounges better than guitar players can.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by SilentHeaven109

Also, to StewieSwan, I was obviously generalising, of course there are exceptions

What? I'm not a troll. I was being serious. I mean, if they're making a beat, then it's technically playing music... but the point is, I never troll.

Seriously, I've been posting regularly here for well over a year, you'd think people would start to recognize me.
Quote by hildesaw
My radio professor taught us that the buzz fluorescent lights make is almost a perfect B flat, and when you ask an American (I think it has to do with using AC as opposed to DC) to hum, they will hum a near perfect B flat

this is actually really interesting. i will try this when i have my chromatic tuner
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Quote by DashBlaster
Violinists get hickeys on their neck a lot.

Brass players (dunno about woodwinds) have stronger and more prominent cheek muscles.

Trained singers have a certain sing-songy quality to their voices when they talk.

Guitarists have very strong hands.
Drummers have very synchronized hands and feet.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by hildesaw

I hummed a near-perfect A.

What do I win?
I finger play bass alot. I also conduct different songs seeing as how I'm the Drum Major, and I finger along to my trumpet, mellophone, flugelhorn, french horn and saxophones solos for all-state and all district. My hands are always moving.
I havn't changed this thing in a year.

I LOVE GIANT YELLOW TEXT!
Quote by CaptDin
What? I'm not a troll. I was being serious. I mean, if they're making a beat, then it's technically playing music... but the point is, I never troll.

Seriously, I've been posting regularly here for well over a year, you'd think people would start to recognize me.

I recognize you, CapitalD. I haven't looked at your user name in months, I know you by your avatar.
Quote by RU Experienced?

What do I win?

Same with me. Prize plz.
Quote by RU Experienced?

What do I win?

A truck load of STFU
Quote by CaptDin

Oh, alrite then, sorry mate. Guess I was expecting something like this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1328384&highlight=hip+hop+popular
where someone makes a comment about hip hop and the "OMG Rap is so real music" brigade comes out and creates a 10 page shitstorm, probably one of the most quietly effective forms of trolling I've seen. Glad to see my troll detector was off on this one

I'll recognise you from now on
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Sep 15, 2010,
Page 1 of 2