... and its not an MG. I found 1987 Artist Series 4203 for $300. Any info?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Supposedly if you had to have a hybrid, that'd be the way to go. They say it's easier to emulate a preamp than a poweramp, so it might actually sound good. Try to find some demos on youtube and stuff.
do you think it'll be good for metal?
The clips on youtube were only of rock
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I've owned it. The best way the describe it is it would probably be better suited for something akin to Ratt or similar hair bands. If you had an EQ pedal to fix up the frequencies further than you could do a more modern metal sound. The amp sounds very good, has more than enough gain and is perfect for gigging because it isn't as loud as say a 50 or 100 watter.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Did someone say Ratt?

^interesting. I've never really considered Marshall to be a good SS preamp designer and I respect your opinion so it is good to hear something different.

I used Jaxed to try to find something similar and came up with this:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/1938062059.html
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 15, 2010,
It was pretty much valvestate/AVT but from the 80's.

I own the avt 50 watt head, and it's ehhh alright.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
The original Artist was made between '71 and '78 and actually said Artiste on the front of the amp. They used four 12AX7's and EL34's. They filled the gap between the JMP and the JCM800.
For some inexplicable reason they then made a horrible hybrid amp from '86 to '91 and called it an Artist. I guess to cash in on the reputation of the original Artiste.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "everybody should be allowed to shoot one marketing man per year"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Meh. IMO the Artist is a pretty solid amp. Especially for the ~$200-$250 they were going for a while back. Just crank it up to get those power tubes distorting to cover up the transistors.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
There it is again - "good for $200".
Translation - it's rubbish.

It's better than nothing but compared to the Artiste, whose name they were ripping off, it's horrible. Whenever somebody justifies an amp as "good for the money" be afraid, be very afraid.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
There it is again - "good for $200".
Translation - it's rubbish.

It's better than nothing but compared to the Artiste, whose name they were ripping off, it's horrible. Whenever somebody justifies an amp as "good for the money" be afraid, be very afraid.
Well, it doesn't get much better at $200... At that price point, you're gonna have to make concessions anyway.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Well, it doesn't get much better at $200... At that price point, you're gonna have to make concessions anyway.

Unless you have patience. Both my amps cost about that much each and they are are both 100x better than an 80's Artist - and I'm in Australia, the home of expensive amps. In fact I paid a little less for the Abbey than I did for the JCM and it's a far better amp. Good amps for under $300 are out there. If you are vigilant and patient you don't really have to make any concessions at all. Patience is a virtue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Unless you have patience. Both my amps cost about that much each and they are are both 100x better than an 80's Artist - and I'm in Australia, the home of expensive amps. In fact I paid a little less for the Abbey than I did for the JCM and it's a far better amp. Good amps for under $300 are out there. If you are vigilant and patient you don't really have to make any concessions at all. Patience is a virtue.
But does your Abbey do teh br00tulz?

Anyway, sometimes patience is a concession as well. Like if he's not some old guy with lots of spare time and needs an amp right now.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
But does your Abbey do teh br00tulz?

Actually yes, the third channel kicks in two extra stages of gain. It will do everything from beautiful cleans through crunch to br00tz. Not Recto br00tz but certainly getting there - and the Recto can't match it's cleans. As an all round amp I'd prefer it to a Recto. It's a shame he doesn't make them any more but he told me that he is considering it. It took many months of waiting to find one - patience really is worth it's weight in yak fat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Actually yes, the third channel kicks in two extra stages of gain. It will do everything from beautiful cleans through crunch to br00tz. Not Recto br00tz but certainly getting there - and the Recto can't match it's cleans. As an all round amp I'd prefer it to a Recto. It's a shame he doesn't make them any more but he told me that he is considering it. It took many months of waiting to find one - patience really is worth it's weight in yak fat.
Well, you could just clone it.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras

I would question it's reliability.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Kanthras

I've actually got a design that borrows large sections of it on the drawing board atm. I think that it's preamp (well, similar) with a smaller power amp would make the ultimate Aussie pub rock machine. Actually, its preamp with Craig's Suckerpunch power amp would kick arse. One day ............ A man can dream.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've actually got a design that borrows large sections of it on the drawing board atm. I think that it's preamp (well, similar) with a smaller power amp would make the ultimate Aussie pub rock machine. Actually, its preamp with Craig's Suckerpunch power amp would kick arse. One day ............ A man can dream.
Didn't you at one point say the ultimate pub rock machine is an amp with a dozen preamps built into it and that switches between them with MIDI controllable relays? Seems like a bit of a drop in ambition.

You're old so you have plenty of time to tinker, right?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

MIDI switching od relays would be a nicety, not a necessity. I'd hold off on that until a PIC controller for MIDI is available with mappable switches. I don't really want to get into that side of things myself. I haven't programmed a PIC for decades.
What I consider necessary on a good pub rock amp is at least three channels on a 20-30W amp. Most pubs are too small to crank even a 50W amp and 20W valve amps tend to be a bit spartan in the channel/features department. What we need in Aussie pubs is a 20W'er with the features of a 100W'er.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Did someone say Ratt?

^interesting. I've never really considered Marshall to be a good SS preamp designer and I respect your opinion so it is good to hear something different.

I used Jaxed to try to find something similar and came up with this:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/1938062059.html

Lol, that was the one I was looking at!
HILT!

Where's Waldo?