hey guys i'm looking to maybe buy a new amp in the not too distant future.
originally i was looking at a jvm 205, but ive decided to maybe look into more options, any suggestions?
ive listened to a few blackstars and ENGLs online and they sound pretty mad, but yeah im totally open to any suggestions
i play a pretty varied range of genres, so something that has both killer cleans and fairly modern gain would be preferable
please help
cheers
GEAR -
Gibson Les Paul VOS '57 gold top
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
Which Blackstar and which Engl?

Modern gain can mean a lot of things. What bands/songs do you usually play the most?
I'm an Engl fanboy, just to warn you . An Engl Screamer would be great for cleans, versatility, and basicallyall types of rock. However, it won't do metal all that well. It can pull off a decent modern metal tone, but it won't be perfect.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Blackstar HT Club 40. I can't believe the tones that amp puts out. Have heard nothing but good things about it.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
ok ive been listening to the blackstar series one 100watt head
its sounding pretty beastly and mega versatile but like i said, haven't tried it in person yet
ENGL not too sure, from what ive heard, alot of them are sounding very metal-based
and yeah sorry, high gain was pretty broad :P basically looking for an amp with both good cleans and a fairly large amount of gain too
GEAR -
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
You could take a look at an ENGL Invader. It can do pretty much anything. The cleans were the best I had ever heard when I tried one out, somewhere between vox cleans and fender cleans in that it was warm but also bright and chimey. Channel 2 had that marshall crunch tone and high gain mode on channel 1 had that bluesy breakup. Channel 3 was just brutal. No other way to put it!

It is honestly one of the most versatile amps I have played through.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
ok awesome, yeah the ENGL does sound good but i have no idea where to get it, let alone in australia
if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know
GEAR -
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
if would go with the ENGLs. I'm into metal, and the savage (or blackmore, because blackmore is built with savage technologie) is great for metal. if you are more into the modern things, and more versatile, i would go with the invader as talentless said.

if you think thats all to expensive, look into the blackstar HT series. they are a little cheaper, and MAYBE something that you are looking for.

sorry if i'm not too big of a help, but i'm in to HEAVY metal, and i only know amps that can do a metal tone.
Not sure if it means anything but I am also interested in the Blackstar and called my local Sam Ash store. He said they can't keep them in stock. I was going to try one out but guess its a wait now. Apparently Blackstar just hooked up with Sam Ash for them to carry them.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
oh really, billy hyse stocks ENGLs? awesome
anyone know where blackstars are stocked in melbourne?
also if theres any other suggestions, just chuck them up
and to bartnijman, im not looking for a metal amp necessarily, but gain wouldnt hurt
like, it doesn't need 6505 amounts of distortion or anything, just enough to comfortably pull off high gain metal sounds
GEAR -
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
dude if your budget is in the jvm range id say go blackstar series one. blackstar sound amazing. pretty much everything theyre coming out with is top notch. innovative, high quality, amazing tone(and MANY of them at that). theyve become my new favorite amp company. i just got the HT-100 head the other day, and its great. mind you its theyre affordable range, but if your budget is jvm range(and im assuming like near 2000$) go for the blackstar series one, either 100 or 200 watt. the tones of those things is incredible. massively versatile.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Linqua5150
dude if your budget is in the jvm range id say go blackstar series one. blackstar sound amazing. pretty much everything theyre coming out with is top notch. innovative, high quality, amazing tone(and MANY of them at that). theyve become my new favorite amp company. i just got the HT-100 head the other day, and its great. mind you its theyre affordable range, but if your budget is jvm range(and im assuming like near 2000$) go for the blackstar series one, either 100 or 200 watt. the tones of those things is incredible. massively versatile.

How do you like your HT-100? I got the impression it was muddy but I hear it has bad stock tubes? an OD and EQ helped when I played one but I only spend about 15 mins with it
Quote by AxSilentxLine
How do you like your HT-100? I got the impression it was muddy but I hear it has bad stock tubes? an OD and EQ helped when I played one but I only spend about 15 mins with it

its awesome. its not muddy, well it is, if you want it for like stoner stuff. you can get TONS of tones out of it. i bought it used from a guy for 500$(win) nearly brand new, with all stock tubes except for a mesa 12ax7 he put in v1. said it made it a little gainier and gave it a little more balls. i think it had tube amp doctor tubes stock, im not sure i havent had time to open it up yet. but from what ive heard they arent a bad brand, but id probably be looking to put some jjs in and some higher gain rated 12ax7s from tube depot. its not really voiced for super modern deathcore or something, so if you want that id say your od and eq would help, but for like opeth, porcupine tree, swallow the sun etc it works great. i still havent spent a ton of time with it yet tho, and it does take some tweaking especially with the isf knob, mostly due to school and the STS and Katatonia concert yesterday haha but im going to try to sit down with it and get some clips and pics and stuff with a NAD this weekend so look out for it, and if i can borrow my friends mic for long enough i might do some clip requests if you want. overall, my friend has a valveking, and for features sound and price, i would call it the british valveking, with more features, and i think even without the extra features its better than the valveking(dont tell my friend that lol)
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I'm also an ENGL fan, but I would choose the Powerball II over the Invader if you are into punchy gain with a slight brownish edge to it. The cleans might be a little less than the Invader's, but the gain makes up for it. The 6L6's really sound like you have an extra bit of dynamics in the sound.
Quote by Snowblind 911

maybe it's because of your description, or the fact that it's 1:30am here, or both, i can't stop giggling.

Sometimes girls say that too...
Quote by AxSilentxLine
^ do you STILL have the Screamer Joe? haha I may take it off your hands if you still have it next year

i haven't even bothered to put up an ad on gumtree or ebay for it since you bought my cab. i keep looking out for a good value 2x12 to jump on so i can use it as well as have an extension cab for me matchless. i always have this feeling that if i sell it i will regret it pretty soon after.

i kinda miss that crazy wall of awsomeness i used to get with that cab. TS definately get out and try an engl, they have their own thing going on which you just can't get with any other amp.
Sorry to thread jack (i'm doing it alot today) but I was wondering if anyone here has tried the Engl Thunder 50W?

If so, how is it?
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
haha nah man no apologies, right now im looking for as much info as possible on amps so ask away
yeah again, gotta try both brands in person first but yeah, thanks heaps guys
im seriously liking the solo 100 watt head, and could pick it up for 2000 delivered free but yeah, want to keep my options open
GEAR -
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15