lolwalloftext

I'm looking for a good gigging amp, and I need a good amp and a lower price (don't we all). I'm stuck with a Blues Jr, and I want to step up to higher quality gain-wise, as the gain on the BJ is crap (I bought it for cleans).

-Needs a good rhythm tone. Something that sounds huge and saturated but somewhat clear and very punchy. Bass response is important
-Needs to have good, smooth leads. Something like Steve Vai
-Needs to have great cleans. Leaning towards jazzy cleans. Warmer and bassier than a typical Fender
-Needs to be around $1000 for a combo or head+cab
-Willing to buy used, probably gonna go that route
-Words to absolutely avoid are: harsh, icepicky, fizzy, thin; I have naturally bright guitars, so I believe a darker amp would suit my needs
-Gain doesn't have to be limitless. I typically use not so much gain for rhythm, and even less for leads. Something like a heavy Satch would be a good maximum, with maybe a little more just in case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRDY3xHMoKc

I play all sorts of rock, from soft to hard rock to pop rock (hate that word). I also play blues rock like Andy Timmons and funk rock just as much. I prefer not to cop tones, so it's kind of hard to describe the tone I want or give an example. I'm sure any good tube amp will do. Looking at a Legacy and a Bogner Alchemist, but I fear the Legacy will be too fuzzy/smooth for rhythm, and that the Bogner will be too harsh judging by Youtube clips. I will try those out, but in the meantime... RECOMMEND! Thanks a TON
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

What part of the world you from?
Willing to go second hand?

EDIT: Checked your profile, California it is.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Sep 14, 2010,
have you looked into the Egnater Renegade? I absolutely love mine.

you can blend the tubes between EL34's and 6V6's, which allows for a large variation in tone.

the cleans are very deep and can get dark if you want it (i have mine set dark).

the wattage is switchable between 18 Watts and 65 Watts.

the heavier channel can be anything between a dirty clean or really sustain ridden screaming overdrive.

the effects loop can be series or parallel.

the head is $1000, but worth every penny.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
He already said he'd go used and his profile says he's in the US. Have a look for a Peavey JSX combo maybe.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
He already said he'd go used and his profile says he's in the US. Have a look for a Peavey JSX combo maybe.

Exactly what I was going to say

Why not get the same amp as satch uses? They are on sale on musician's friend for $1100 right now.

Peavey JSX
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Last edited by sammo_boi at Sep 14, 2010,
Satch's early studio work was done with driven Marshall amps, so I guess you'd be looking for a more British type OD tone? He uses Peaveys now though which have a more American voice.

Maybe something by Blackstar?
Sorry, I'm from California and willing to go used. I will add the JSX and Renegade to my list
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by bingeandletgo
Sorry, I'm from California and willing to go used. I will add the JSX and Renegade to my list

Closest major city? (California is HUGE, dude...)
Sacramento ^^
Quote by blackflag49

Quote by bingeandletgo

Sorry, Totally out of it today.
See if you can track down a used rectoverb/tremoverb.
Just my $0.02. Again sorry I missed that.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by phlip999

Those are both good selections.

Also, most Peaveys are American voiced because they use 6L6 tubes. The JSX uses EL34s - which are Brit voiced.

I also +1 the Renegade.

Edit : There is also a Traynor YCV50 and a Genz Benz el Diablo on your CList that are worth looking into.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 15, 2010,
Quote by phlip999

Totally forgot about Mesa. My "budget" kind of subconsciously erased them

I would probably go with a Nomad out of those two, but isn't the Nomad 45 EL84? I'd much rather have a Nomad 55 if I can find one. Too bad I really can't try those anywhere

*selfishbump*
Quote by blackflag49