Here is my dilemma:

I have in my possession two perfectly good items.
•1 expensive 3rd generation iPod touch
•1 expensive Bose iPod stereo dock

When I use these products separately, they bring me all the joy, happiness, and entertainment I could ever want. I'm as happy as clam in the Bermuda Triangle where no one would ever bother trying to eat my clammy goodness or steal my precious calcified ulcers.

But when I try to use these products together, all I feel is disgust and shame. As most of you surely have found out, the ipod won't charge in its station especially designed to charge ipods, only mono sound emits from my carefully crafted stereo designed to produce stereo sound.

The obvious solution to this problem would be to buy a new expensive stereo; however, I refuse. I did some research. The reason my two expensive toys don't play well together is planned obsolescence. Steve Jobs and Mr. Bose got together (presumably on one dark and stormy night in a castle made of gold and old broken ipod headphones in the middle of the ocean) to switch some connecting pins on the new ipods and their corresponding stereos, rendering the old stereos nearly useless to cross compatibility.

Don't consider me naive. I understand these businesses have to rack up a constant to increasing flow of money over time. Product quality and longevity are only important factors when they result in more money. These days I don't really feel liking feeding the corporate machine. I just want to use the nice things that I already have, so i've got some questions i hope you can help me out with.

Has anyone designed an adapter that switches back those connecting pins that Apple screwed with?

If not, is that even possible?

Thanks to anybody who's read this far. If you sympathize with my hatred of planned and forced obsolescence, share your views. And to any one who points it out, this doesn't belong in the iPod thread. It's about planned obsolescence, silly.
I hear what you're saying man, it seemes to me that these big companys like to make crap, cheap crap, so that they can sell you slightly better crap later. As the crap gets better, the crap starts to have major flaws until it's complete crap that nobody wants, then, it gets better again, and people will rave about how awesome their crap is because it's better than someone elses crap when in reality, the crap could have been gold in the first place.
I havn't changed this thing in a year.

I LOVE GIANT YELLOW TEXT!
Quote by wowsux
I hear what you're saying man, it seemes to me that these big companys like to make crap, cheap crap, so that they can sell you slightly better crap later. As the crap gets better, the crap starts to have major flaws until it's complete crap that nobody wants, then, it gets better again, and people will rave about how awesome their crap is because it's better than someone elses crap when in reality, the crap could have been gold in the first place.

You should write for South Park.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Good lord I thought I was the only person in the world that thought this way. See, this is why I keep telling people that we would benefit so highly from revamped consumer protection laws. Can you imagine what the world would be like if we DIDN'T have to buy a new PC every year? Or a new TV, or new furniture, or new phones, or new shoes, blah blah blah. Granted, these are all material possessions that really don't affect your ability to survive...
Quote by sickstring11
Can you imagine what the world would be like if we DIDN'T have to buy a new PC every year?
Yes. I buy a new one every five years or so. Maybe you're not using yours correctly.
Quote by sickstring11
Or a new TV.
Yes. Every couple years. Do you leave yours on 24/7, or something?
Quote by sickstring11
or new furniture
Less frequent than buying a new computer. Tell your kids to stop jumping on the couch.
Quote by sickstring11
or new phones
Every other year; however, I'm probably an exception to this.
Quote by sickstring11
or new shoes
Alright. You got me there.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Quote by sickstring11
Good lord I thought I was the only person in the world that thought this way. See, this is why I keep telling people that we would benefit so highly from revamped consumer protection laws. Can you imagine what the world would be like if we DIDN'T have to buy a new PC every year? Or a new TV, or new furniture, or new phones, or new shoes, blah blah blah. Granted, these are all material possessions that really don't affect your ability to survive...

Or generic useless Apple products. Could you imagine that..?
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I can relate to this thread hard right now. Our family has a computer that has Mac OS 1.4. I want a new ipod. They don't run on this now, and they make you buy new shit every 2-3 years just to make it work. I want to throw something right now.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Quote by sickstring11

It wasn't always this way though. Thrift was once a widely held virtue. Things we're built to last. Unfortunately, capitalism dictates that we need to keep buying for our economy to survive. It's sick (in a bad way) to think this idea lets many of us keep a job. Global warming is on our side though. Companies can't continue this needless production if I causes us all to go extinct.
OK, Got Guitar, I was exaggerating SLIGHTLY. And maybe you haven't had to deal with shitty products all around, but I have. All of my "nice" things break on me.
I remember this was my major complaint with Nintendo when I was a little kid.

"But what do you mean I can't put an advance game in a color? You mean I need a whole new gameboy for that game!?"
My university has Apple's dick in its ass. There's a campus computer store which sells only Macs, and several computer labs only use Macs unless they need Windows exclusive software. To top it all off, any Windows OS above XP is totally ignored by the wifi. It's next to impossible to get wifi unless you have a Mac.

Damn you to hell, Apple.
Quote by jetfuel495
My university has Apple's dick in its ass. There's a campus computer store which sells only Macs, and several computer labs only use Macs unless they need Windows exclusive software. To top it all off, any Windows OS above XP is totally ignored by the wifi. It's next to impossible to get wifi unless you have a Mac.

Damn you to hell, Apple.

That's pretty much how my school is. Except the wi-fi thing, that's seriously ****ed up.
Quote by jetfuel495
If you think that's messed up, you can get into legal trouble for hosting an on campus event that serves drinks that Coca Cola didn't manufacture.
Where the **** do you live?
Quote by White_Venom1993
Where the **** do you live?

We've actually got something similar here. Coca-Cola has some campuses that are strictly Coke Campuses. If you are hosting any event that is funded by the school, Coke products must be used or funding will most likely be taken away.

I didn't make the rules, Coca-Cola did.

That being said, a lot of local places serve Pepsi products just because it is so much easier to order product. "We had to wait months for Coke, but now we can get Pepsi in the same day!" Well, that probably only happens at our campus because it is the biggest campus and we drink a lot of Coke.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....