View poll results: Which one?
Zon VB5
19 59%
Status Streamline 5
6 19%
Steinberger L2
7 22%
Voters: 32.
Now I know the style isn't exactly for everyone, and for some of you this thread may stir up some less-than-welcome memories of the 80's. I've narrowed my next purchase down to 3 basses: a Zon VB-5, a Status Streamline 5, or a Steinberger L2 (or XL2). However I find myself flip-flopping between the three, and I'm interested to gather some other opinions on them, and what better place to do that than the wonderful UG Bass Forum!

Pics:

Zon VB5

Status Streamline 5

Steinberger L2

*raises headless bass flameshield*
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I prefer the VB5, but that's only based on it's looks
New track on soundcloud.com/ahlers or on my profile.
Feedback much appreciated.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Hi my name is Chen im 16 years old from Israel.
I love playing Guitar and writing if I have the time[...]

As of now I am banned because of racism against albinos
I'd say the vb5

the steinberger reminds me too much of the "jesus is a friend of mine" video
Quote by Nolanrox
The Zon. Why? This is why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6yXSeM1-E4

This.

also, I don't like the look of the last two. I plain hate the one in the middle.

and if we're being honest I don't particularly care for any of them personally, but of the three I'd say go for the zon (based only on aesthetic reasons).

edit: out of curiosity, why is it that you have your heart set on a headless bass?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
i have experience on a steinberger and it was good. it wasn't the same model though. the ZON is the prettiest of them all though. middle one is ugly.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by NakedBassist
out of curiosity, why is it that you have your heart set on a headless bass?

I love the balance of a headless instrument, and I actually like the feel of not having a headstock. All 3 are high quality instruments, although the Steinberger is the only one I have any extensive experience with.

Plus I love the looks
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
The 80's died 20 years ago, please just leave it dead

Seriously though I'd look for a headless with more of a body because I don't know if you'll have the same problem but I struggled with the Steinberger style basses because the body isn't big enough and it just feels off.

Try something like a Hohner "The Jack" a friend of mine has one and it's a lovely bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I hate headless basses, so don't pay too much attention to my opinion; but the Steinberger is just awful.

I'd definitely go with the Zon if I had to have one of those though; Zon make great instruments.

The status might be interesting too.
Don't Status make a headless with a biger body, closer to to the size of a normal bass?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
Don't Status make a headless with a biger body, closer to to the size of a normal bass?

Yeah, the S2 Classic.

I've played the Washburn version of it, which is exactly the same apart from missing the graphite neck.

It was really nice actually.

It costs the same as the Slipstream, but you get choices of nice woods and other things. That would be the one I'd pick.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I played a Steinberger guitar back in the day and really liked it. I have to say though I wouldn't consider one without a regular size body. The small bodies are pretty uncomfortable to play sitting down I think.
Quote by Nutter_101
Yeah, the S2 Classic.

I've played the Washburn version of it, which is exactly the same apart from missing the graphite neck.

It was really nice actually.

It costs the same as the Slipstream, but you get choices of nice woods and other things. That would be the one I'd pick.

Yeah. If I were ever get a headless, it would be an S2.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
^ There's also the Stealth, which unfortunately is a bit out of my price range. The S2 is an option though, I didn't notice it was the same price as the Streamline.

The Zon seems to be getting more love here.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I'll hide in the lonely Steinberger corner, if only because I know how good they are. Such purity of tone and feel... That's not to cast aspersions at any of the others; graphite Statuses are the dog's knackers, and I'd sell an internal organ for a Zon (not necessarily mine, tho'!).
I'll agree with Dan - the Hohner Jack is a criminally under-rated bass. The headless 'rings' better than the headed version; and it's that rare combination of ten ton tone, rock solid build, and great 'wearability'. Get the headless 5 in JJ or HH flavours, you won't regret it. I still regret the loss of mine.