Whatcha think?

Thoughts on new look, new features, etc. Obviously, they're not out yet, so we can't judge how they sound, but they seem to be a pretty major step up from the MBox 2.

Anyone planning on trading up/buying one when they're released? I'd love to get a small rig to do some tracking/mixing so I don't monopolize the studio in my school (though it it AWESOME).
"Music Can Change The World Because It Can Change People..." - Bono

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING! SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION AHEAD!

Quote by jtwylie
Whatcha think?

Thoughts on new look, new features, etc. Obviously, they're not out yet, so we can't judge how they sound, but they seem to be a pretty major step up from the MBox 2.

Anyone planning on trading up/buying one when they're released? I'd love to get a small rig to do some tracking/mixing so I don't monopolize the studio in my school (though it it AWESOME).

I am going to 8-inputs. 4 isn't enough for me anymore, and so as soon as I get the chance I am going to 8, so not really too excited.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Looks pretty damm snazzy... The Mbox 2 records @ 48khz and the new one does up to 96Khz. Having said that i probably wont be upgrading, cant really afford it and a lot of the stuff im doing at the moment is MIDI based.
"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."- Jimi Hendrix
ProTools is only worth it on a grand scale. Anything less is a waste imo
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
ProTools is only worth it on a grand scale. Anything less is a waste imo

Grand scale as in PTHD? I so I hope you're kidding. Current rig: 2x API3124 into Profire2626 (bypassing the pres) + Focuriste OctoPre mkII thru ADAT. 16 channels of pretty damn good pres @ 88.2 into Pro Tools M-Powered. 4 different headphone mixes @ zero latency (DSP mixer). Total more or less is about 7k depending how you calculate it. Doesn't really seem like a waste.

HD1 card (which is a joke, you need at least HD2) = 7/8k no pres, no interface. Just a 8 year old card with software.

ON TOPIC: New Mbox Pro looks pretty good, if I wasn't already pretty much set I would be darn interested. ADAT inputs would have made this a homerun but it already looks pretty sick. The ones under that seem kinda meh and more of the same but the Pro looks very promising.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Last edited by miguelito2729 at Sep 15, 2010,
I'm getting an MBox 2 Pro because I simply can't hold out another 3 weeks for this one to come out, but maybe I'll upgrade one of these days...besides its always good to get all the kinks worked out before you buy, so I'll upgrade later.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
I won't be making the upgrade. I honestly don't think that being able to run at a higher sample rate is going to make much of an impact without specific tweaks and improvements across the entire rig, and that's after soundproofing. So I think that for a lot of people 96kHz+ will be a selling point rather than a practical improvement.

I think that some of the new features are extraneous: does anyone really need a guitar tuner built in? I'd rather have something with a simpler design that works. The volume pot and the buttons look pretty crappy on the MBox3 too, I'm sure it won't take long for them to wear out and get clogged. I appreciate that the MBox2 didn't exactly have pot construction going for it, but at least they were mounted inside the machine and were impossible to get dirty or break, assuming the device was properly cared for.
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Sep 15, 2010,
ProTools is a hyped up software and hardware combo IMO.
From what I saw at the Avid website, the prices for the new M-Boxes will be as follows.

Pro Tools Mbox Mini - $400
Pro Tools Mbox - $680
Pro Tools Mbox Pro - $900

Expect the prices to be lower in stores but that's what they are stating for now.
For the features you get, I just can't see spending that type of cash...

A Profire 2626 gives you way more features than any of the above hardware and costs much less.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 15, 2010,
I'm definitely holding out (mainly because I have no money), but once I get some capital, I'll either be springing for the MBox 3 Pro (just can't seem to call it a "Pro Tools MBox"...doesn't flow) or the M-Audio Profire 610.
"Music Can Change The World Because It Can Change People..." - Bono

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING! SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION AHEAD!

Not a big fan of the visuals. I really liked the knobs on the MBox 2; they were easy to make very small changes with. Can't say that the extras have improved either. No BFD Lite? That sucks. I do wonder if they've upgraded the pre-amps, couldn't find any real info on that.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
They look pretty bangin' especially the pro but having just got my ProFire 2626 on the go so I don't think I'll be upgrading for a while.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society