im finally in a good band and were looking to start gigging around soon. so basically were past the "beginning" stage and the old 2x12 isnt gonna cut it. i need to upgrade to a half stack (because full stacks are completely pointless ;D ) anyway i have no clue what to look for or what to shy away from give me some good suggestions please?

btw i play through my old boss GT-6 so 90% of my tone is in my pedal, but i want something that sounds great on its own because the pedal is FINALLY starting to die on me

i might wanna put the kind of music we play on here as well. we play kind of progressive deathcorey metal.

so suggest please
You never really need a half stack. A 2X12 is more than acceptable. The only thing a cab will do for you is give you a little better sound dispersal, but if you're "past the beginning stages", then you should be getting mic'd up anyway, so your number of speakers literally doesn't matter.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Honestly, you can get away with a combo, in fact, most band that START gigging, play through combos. the only reason even have a half stack now is because it was the cheapest thing I could find. If I could've gotten another VYPYR combo for that price, I would've. Don't give into the hype of half stacks, especially if it's going to cost more money than a combo that could give you a WAY better tone.
First of all, how does a 2x12 combo amp not cut it?

Without a budget, I can't suggest anything really.

The Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo seems to be popular for that style of music

PS: You don't need a half-stack to play live. I use a 'quarter stack' and never turn my volume up past 3.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
my 2x12 is shitting out anyway.. sooo yeah. and honestly i just F-ing want one its like buying a sports car to me haha

my friends selling his Crate BV120h tube head and B-52 AT-412A cab for 320$

ive heard good things about the blue voodoo stuff but i kinda want solid state so i dont have to replace tubes
What's your budget? I'd seriously consider an Ampeg VH140C. They're ridiculously good for the price they usually go for, but they can be difficult to find.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i dont really wanna go over 400$ but i also plan on buying used on craigslist or something i just dont know what im looking at
Quote by hightension01
my 2x12 is shitting out anyway.. sooo yeah. and honestly i just F-ing want one its like buying a sports car to me haha

my friends selling his Crate BV120h tube head and B-52 AT-412A cab for 320$

ive heard good things about the blue voodoo stuff but i kinda want solid state so i dont have to replace tubes

SS amps have a better chance of breaking down before a tube replacement is needed, if I remember correctly. You pretty much just proved that.

Having said that, we still need a budget.

If looks are all that matter, a Marshall MG stack might be good, or the Ibanez Toneblaster stack.

But srsly, the b-52 cab i believe is OK, can't say much about the Crate head though.

tl;dr What's your budget?

Redit: If $400 usd is what you are working with, you might want to consider the used market, and that you might not be able to get away with a good stack.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Last edited by Guitarbaddie at Sep 15, 2010,
Quote by Guitarbaddie
SS amps have a better chance of breaking down before a tube replacement is needed, if I remember correctly. You pretty much just proved that.

Having said that, we still need a budget.

If looks are all that matter, a Marshall MG stack might be good, or the Ibanez Toneblaster stack.

But srsly, the b-52 cab i believe is OK, can't say much about the Crate head though.

tl;dr What's your budget?

Redit: If $400 usd is what you are working with, you might want to consider the used market, and that you might not be able to get away with a good stack.

i seriously already reliquished the information you requested and i also said in the said post that i am shopping on craigslist which means i am ONLY considering the used market

read posts Thoroughly
Quote by hightension01
i seriously already reliquished the information you requested and i also said in the said post that i am shopping on craigslist which means i am ONLY considering the used market

I posted shortly after you did, if you check the quote I came back and edited my post.

Quote by hightension01
read posts Thoroughly

What is the closest city to Glendale, assuming that is where you are from.

Also, would you consider a combo amp? And are cleans something that you would need?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
phoenix, Arizona

and ive been checking but if you see something good let me know

Edit: yeah i use some clean but nothing demanding and i normally play through my pedal which models my sound for the most part.
Last edited by hightension01 at Sep 15, 2010,
Quote by hightension01
phoenix, Arizona

and ive been checking but if you see something good let me know

Edit: yeah i use some clean but nothing demanding and i normally play through my pedal which models my sound for the most part.

Hmm, would eBay be good for you? Or strictly local trade?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-6505-112-Combo-Guitar-Amplifier-Amp-Plus-/300465411654?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f5225646

Would require you to save a bit more.

The JCA20c is considered good for metal if you give it a boost. I'm sure your floor processor has an overdrive setting somewhere on it. The JCA20c is also just under $400 new, but you can't find it used really. And yes, it is a 20w tube combo amp, not a big stack, but it will sound great for your price range.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Hmm, would eBay be good for you? Or strictly local trade?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-6505-112-Combo-Guitar-Amplifier-Amp-Plus-/300465411654?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f5225646

Would require you to save a bit more.

The JCA20c is considered good for metal if you give it a boost. I'm sure your floor processor has an overdrive setting somewhere on it. The JCA20c is also just under $400 new, but you can't find it used really. And yes, it is a 20w tube combo amp, not a big stack, but it will sound great for your price range.

okay heres the deal...

my GT-6 is pretty much ALL of my tone

i just want something really loud and reliable

because believe it or not the last show we played was at a warehouse (which they call a venue) and we werent even able to mic up our amps there.
Quote by hightension01
okay heres the deal...

my GT-6 is pretty much ALL of my tone

i just want something really loud and reliable

because believe it or not the last show we played was at a warehouse (which they call a venue) and we werent even able to mic up our amps there.

That sounds like rape A venue with a PA system is usually not worth doing

Well, if you are just looking for volume, maybe that half-stack your friend will sell you might be good, hell, might even be a really good deal, I know nothing of Crate amps (except the one I have is shitty).

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/1876388490.html

Haggle the price down a bit, get a decent 1x12 cab and you have a rather killer amp, but this would be just what I would do.

Lastly, $400 is a little low, $600-700+ is usually a good price range.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
That sounds like rape A venue with a PA system is usually not worth doing

Eh what? I haven't played a venue with it's own a PA in about two years, and this is a band that earns me £100 a week minimum. From my experience, unless you're an established band that gets radio play, small venues are the only ones worth playing.

On topic, the Crate/B-52 deal looks ok for the price, and if you decide you don't like it you can probably sell or trade it without losing money.
Last edited by kyle62 at Sep 15, 2010,
wait... let me get this straight... you WANT all your tone to come from a gt -6?
no offence but the sound from a decent amp (say the peavey 6505+ 1x12) will give you a MASSIVELY better sound than an effects pedal
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
First of all, if you want a half stack from a retail store, you need like 1200$ If you can finda a halfstack for under 1000 dollars buy it. The Marshall MG series... there is a reason why its the cheapest marshall on the market, your better off buying a Sonic Cab and pairing it with a cheap head like Randall 100w and still using your pedal. that should run you $600. I agree you don't always need a halfstack, but its still freaking sweet.
I have a Gnx4 with a 100w power amp and sonic maximisor and A 320w Line6 cab. The band i play in is sitting on the rock/metal fence. Our drummer is the loudest drummer ive ever heard, i have to turn up to 7 and i still think i could go up to 7.5 I do want to upgrade to a 200 or 300 watt Power amp tho since my cab has head room.
If you can find a VH-140 half stack, you would be in love. Absolutely crushing gain, freaking scary...

I have the combo version, it may not have the bottom end you need for your deathcore, but for a tight Nihility-esque tone with more Suffocation-ish beef to it, it rocks.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."