i really wanna get a multi effects pedal but im not sure which to get
my friend has a boss me-50 and says their great, i've looked up reviews but they all say this is a great pedal. i was wondering if anyone had tried a bunch of them and could tell me which is best. my budget is 350 NZD, thats like 250 american
p.s. i play rock mainly
Last edited by timfoley at Sep 15, 2010,
Hopefully you're not planning to use the Multi-FX's distortion, because it's always very digital and bland sounding.
But it's great if you're using it for your typical effects (delay, chorus, etc.).
What amp are you running through by the way?
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Hopefully you're not planning to use the Multi-FX's distortion, because it's always very digital and bland sounding.
But it's great if you're using it for your typical effects (delay, chorus, etc.).
What amp are you running through by the way?

an mg but im planning to get a good amp soon, i really only wanted it for wah, volume chorus etc, i think i'll just buy a good od pedal as well.
The ME-50 is pretty good, but i suggest you look into the newer version, the ME-70.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
The Line 6 M series or (newer) POD series would be infinitely better if you can spring for one
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I'll be picking up an ME-25 on Friday for $125 used. The phrase looper and freeze function are what interests me. What I heard from it sounded good but I haven't put it through it's paces yet.
Quote by timfoley
yea it looks good, but i doubt it will be as good as the me-50 tone wise

Tone wise, the ME-25 is as good as the ME-50/ME-70, i can assure you.

The main difference is the amount of features.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I think the ME-50 sounds like absolute shit (especially thier OD/dist.). but they're good to start on to get ideas for ur more permanent sound.

I like the line 6 multi fx units better, and they're simpler to use. But i don't think they have as many options (like reverse delays).

But try it out, and give it a proper hearing and make a decsision then.

If i were u, i'd spend this money into a better amp.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius

I like the line 6 multi fx units better, and they're simpler to use. But i don't think they have as many options (like reverse delays).

Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I think he was saying the Line 6 doesn't have reverse delay. The Line 6 multifx do have less features. IIRC the Pods lack an IPS/Harmonizer as well, which is pretty standard stuff on most fx boxs.
If you're looking to get a good amp soon, you could get a Vypyr amp, get the footswitch with it, and pretty much kill 2 birds with one stone. On the other hand, I play a Digitech RP500, and I love it. (I wouldn't play any digitech pedal under it though)
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
ME-50 is great for what you need. The Od/Dist isn't the best but you definately won't notice through an MG and it's far from unusable- I've gigged with ME-50 overdrives tons of times (if you tweak them right and use the tone modify knob you can get some of them to sound pretty good)

The delays, modulation options are great. Tuner is fine, wah isn't great buy useable. Also has a whammy, compressor (noisy) and reverb (not may options/ a bit digital) but the ME-50 does have my favourite effect ever- the resonance wah which is like a very wide sweep wah pedal. It's a lot of fun and I haven't been able to find anything similar anywhere else.

In short go for the ME-50.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
I really wanted the Boss ME70 (your right Linkerman) but at the time I bought the Vox Tonelab ST(used). I really like it but, in retrospect I should have waited for the ME.
Last edited by cranium2001 at Sep 16, 2010,
Quote by timfoley
do you guys think buying each pedal seperately is a good idea?

Building your own pedal board, one pedal at a time, is great.
You get to decide what effects you really need, and which particular pedal delivers the tone you seek.
That is the road i'm taking.

But it has a couple of disadvantages:
- you have to be really focused about what you want soundwise, or you'll end up with pedals you're never gonna use more than once in your life;
- good quality pedals are (usually) expensive;
- if you want/need a great variety of effects, it's going to get very expensive.

IMHO, buying separate pedals is only a good idea if you don't need many effects, and know exactly what effects you're going to need.

With a multi-fx unit, the sound quality isn't as good as in a well-bulit, high quality individual effect...
But you get a lot more to experiment with, for the same cost (or just a little bit more).

(This doesn't apply to high-end multi-fx units like the TC Electronic Nova System or G-System, or the Line 6 M9 or M13, since they are in a much higher price range.)
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by timfoley
i really only want a cry baby, tube screamer and a good delay pedal, i've got a chorus, i think i'll be putting my money into a good amp first though haha

As a small advice, if your new amp doesn't have a good reverb, get a nice reverb pedal, like an EHX Holy Grail.

When i first started playing guitar, i thought overdrive/distortion was everything i needed.
Once i got my Laney amp and started using its reverb, i noticed a huge difference.
Nowadays i can't imagine playing without any reverb.

IMO, even a small amount of reverb is enough to make wonders for your sound.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
As a small advice, if your new amp doesn't have a good reverb, get a nice reverb pedal, like an EHX Holy Grail.

When i first started playing guitar, i thought overdrive/distortion was everything i needed.
Once i got my Laney amp and started using its reverb, i noticed a huge difference.
Nowadays i can't imagine playing without any reverb.

IMO, even a small amount of reverb is enough to make wonders for your sound.

lol totally forgot bout reverb