from the myspace
"Cnoc An Tursa (Hill of Sorrow) are a Scottish metal Band forged in 2006 in Falkirk, an ancient Borough whose Motto is:
‘Better Meddle wi the Deil than the Bairns O’ Falkirk’.

Intense, symphonic ballads combined with the tales of a much neglected art form, old Scottish poems, creates a totally unrivaled sound of heavy Scottish metal, with ravenous, melodic undertones, and ancient, rhythmical lyrics"

Not your typical black metal but I would say its the genre it falls closest into. I think they are really good, and surprisingly catchy as well, both in melodies and lyrics. They have a few demo tracks out at the moment, that I think were just given away on the myspcae, if you know where to look.

Their debut album is due out soon on Lone Vigil records.

http://www.myspace.com/cnocantursa
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3540271358

*note: on last.fm and metal archives and a few other sites its written Cnocantursa. One of the free downloads the band gave away had it tagged as that, so thats how I have them in my Itunes. But technically it should be 3 words.
Quote by Deplorable
How do you say Cnoc?

K'nuk...

The whole title is

'K'nuk un tursa/toorsa' (depending on region)
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Saw these guys live not long ago, they put on a great show. Really good stuff - symphonic/folky black metal for people who don't usually like symphonic/folky black metal, like me.
One of the better Scottish black metal bands, good to see the scene is on the rise.
Had this come before christmas, i'd have been one happy chappy. Oh how things change
Ah, I saw these guys support Wodensthrone and Winterfylleth a while back. Put on a really good show.

A nice reminder for me to check out their stuff.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
So is Bannockburn the only song they have out right now? How does one acquire it?
They have 8 tracks that have been available at some point or other. There was a scottish black metal blog that they were uploaded to, but that's since gone. Check your inbox in about half an hours time
edit: I can't be faffed waiting sitting waiting. I'm going away from the PC but leaving it uploading. So it might be a bit longer than half an hour.
Last edited by AnnihiSlateR at Oct 3, 2012,
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
They have 8 tracks that have been available at some point or other. There was a scottish black metal blog that they were uploaded to, but that's since gone. Check your inbox in about half an hours time
edit: I can't be faffed waiting sitting waiting. I'm going away from the PC but leaving it uploading. So it might be a bit longer than half an hour.

You should hook me up too, Neil.

This stuff reminds me of Sacramentum, but more folky. Therefore, it is great.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Havent listened to the album yet, but I enjoy the demos you gave me, Neil. I will say from the tracks I've heard, the album sounds... good, but the vocals sound too high in the mix. Minor detail though I think it will be fine.

Also most folksy metal is dull or just metal/rock dressed up with folk trappings. But it's good when it's just subtle/well integrated for more than just aesthetics and catchiness. Say, like Moonsorrow, this band, Wodensthrone, etc.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by Burning_Angel
Also most folksy metal is dull or just metal/rock dressed up with folk trappings.

That's exactly why I don't like most folk metal. If I wanted to hear some band play pan pipes and heavy distorted guitars (powerchords only, of course)...I don't have to pay money for that. I can do that on Youtube for free. But I find that a boring and repetitive trope.

But it's good when it's just subtle/well integrated for more than just aesthetics and catchiness. Say, like Moonsorrow, this band, Wodensthrone, etc.

Indeed!
Loving some of the more grandiose intros and stuff on some of the songs that weren't like that on the demos.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

I'm still yet to listen to the album proper. I'm having a hard time justifying it when I have all bar 3 tracks (2 of which seem to be intro/outro), and the sample I heard didn't sound as good as the demo to me. I will definitely pick it up at some point, but after years of waiting it somehow doesn't seem al that necessary for me to hear now it's here. Which is a shame.
Excellent band! They were at my first ever gig hah. They've got some awesome gigs lined up in Scotland with Falloch, I'm gonna have to get along to one of them.

"Intense yet intricate" Scottish melodeath band, who have been reviewed live by Terrorizer, Metalgigs and Valkyrian Music in the past year

Get our debut EP Helveien, for free download.
I hope Falloch are still as good without Andy. I don't see why they wouldn't like.. But Falloch were stunning when I saw them last year, and the 3 times I've seen Cnoc An Tursa they've delivered the goods so to speak, so that should be a cracking little tour.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
I'm still yet to listen to the album proper. I'm having a hard time justifying it when I have all bar 3 tracks (2 of which seem to be intro/outro), and the sample I heard didn't sound as good as the demo to me. I will definitely pick it up at some point, but after years of waiting it somehow doesn't seem al that necessary for me to hear now it's here. Which is a shame.

Can you just buy the 3 tracks you don't own? Or at least buy the one that isn't the intro or outro? That way, you could compare the production and such too. Youtube/other music site samples can be kind of iffy.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 3, 2013,
I think I'm going to buy it purely out of respect and a sense of what's fair. Afterall I paid nothing for the tracks I do own, so it kind of seems fair to pay for them retrospectively in the form of the album.