Hi all, a friend of mine recommened I install an extra spring (i only had two) in order to increase how much the guitar stays in tune. I am now using three but I have heard of people using four or five. I'm wanting to know what the pro's/con's are for 3/4/5 springs. Thanks.
You only need more springs if you're increasing your string gauge. I think 3 springs is enough for 9-42s, 4 for 10s and 5 for 11s and above. I'm using 4 springs for my 10-52s.

I'm not sure how much of a problem this is for guitars without floating bridges. My strat has a floyd rose so I have to add extra spring tension to equal out the string tension.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
What ur friend was trying to say is this.
If u add more springs and tighten up the screws in teh back so that the bridge gets pulled onto the body (like a fixed bridge) then u can have more tuning stability (cause bends don't move the bridge around, not floating around everywhere, etc)

This is a good idea if u never want to pull back on the whammy EVER! Also makes it a shitload harder to move. Gives it a springier feel. can't flutter and do some other crazy whammy shit.

But it's all personal preference, so just try out everything.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by littlephil
If you use the trem, adding springs will make it harder to use.

+1

it's a balancing act between keeping the trem stable/in tune, and having it responsive enough that you can actually use it

though, i hear some company is making vintage reissue springs, which have the same tension as 3, when you use 5. They're meant to be pretty good, and have good tone, too. I know it sounds like esoteric bullshit, but the couple of people who told me they'd tried them thought they were going to just be esoteric bullshit too, and ended up thinking they were great
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by littlephil
If you use the trem, adding springs will make it harder to use.

I've figured that much out, all I'm asking is which is better?
depends on how you use the trem, etc. etc. if the trem is less responsive it's going to piss you off if you use it a lot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by julzius

Yeah... that's right... i quoted MYSELF!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
I use my tremolo as a floating bridge. I use 3 springs on all of them using 9's and 10's and I add a 4th on the one I use 11's. I use a tremolo similar to Hank Marvin of The Shadows. Up and down. If you want to just have a "fixed" tremolo which does stay in tune easier then use all 5 springs or block it off. Even with 3 springs mine stay in tune with no problem. GOOD tuners and bridges helped this.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by HellBoy9393
You only need more springs if you're increasing your string gauge. I think 3 springs is enough for 9-42s, 4 for 10s and 5 for 11s and above. I'm using 4 springs for my 10-52s.

I'm not sure how much of a problem this is for guitars without floating bridges. My strat has a floyd rose so I have to add extra spring tension to equal out the string tension.

What if, for instance, I have 9's (which I do) and I increase the number of springs? Will this case the springs to snap or fall out of tune, etc.?
Quote by julzius
What ur friend was trying to say is this.
If u add more springs and tighten up the screws in teh back so that the bridge gets pulled onto the body (like a fixed bridge) then u can have more tuning stability (cause bends don't move the bridge around, not floating around everywhere, etc)

This is a good idea if u never want to pull back on the whammy EVER! Also makes it a shitload harder to move. Gives it a springier feel. can't flutter and do some other crazy whammy shit.

How far out should I have the screws from the body?
Quote by arrthor
How far out should I have the screws from the body?

Springs are like major adjustments, and then the screws are for fine tuning. So put them where ever u want

And if u put 9s on, and chuck in another spring, the bridge will be stiffer and closer to the body.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by HellBoy9393

Actually, 3 works fine for 9's and 10's. It's when you get into like 10-52 or 11's that you really need 4. You can get away with that many with higher gauges if you tune down, but in standard at least 4 are recommended for 11's. By me anyway
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores