Hey Guys!

I started my journey for my next guitar yesterday. Originally I was considering a Music Man but I really am not in a financial situation (and won't be for a very very long time) to be able to buy one, so I decided just to browse some shops to see what I caught my interest.

At the minute I have a Strat and an LTD MH-250 which I got Seymour Duncan Humbuckers installed in it so it sounds better.

I went to the shop and got a quote on how much they'd give me in exchange for my LTD and then started browsing and Ibanez and stuff seems cool, but then my eye caught the PRS SE Torero and I had a go.

Don't get my wrong the LTD is ok but it feels like a budget guitar now. The build isn't very good. I suppose it's the same as learning to drive in a 1993 Vauxhall Corsa and then driving your mate's Ferrari. Once you've played a better guitar, it's hard to look back.

Anyway, I played this PRS and it seemed really really nice, I could get a wide range of sounds on it. I play anything from Death Metal, to rock but now I'm also getting into things like Jazz and it seemed to deliver. I thought the way it all felt was great. There was one problem which was the springs were vibrating against the back plate if you played an E an octave up from the open string however, the guy said that's because PRS make all the plates flush against the body and it can be fixed if I wanted it.

To be honest, I was under the impression though that if I want a good guitar, I'm gonna have to spend £1,000+ and I want a good guitar that's going to last me A LONG TIME instead of my LTD which I've grown out of. Looking at reviews everyone says it's great but I want someone to be brutally honest and point out it's weakpoints if any, otherwise, I get paid tomorrow and I'll be straight down there with the LTD!

Also, the bridge said "Floyd Rose" not "Liscenced Floyd Rose" like my LTD, what does this mean? What is better? On a review apparently the Torero has a Floyd Rose 1000 system?

Cheers for any help you can give me!

Daryl
GUITAR!!!!!
The PRS SE line is arguably the best Korea has to offer in guitars. As for the springs, wrapping a rag or a sock around them stops them from vibrating. Most people do this.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by BHD
Also, the bridge said "Floyd Rose" not "Liscenced Floyd Rose" like my LTD, what does this mean? What is better?

"Floyd Rose" means it was built by Floyd Rose. "Licensed Floyd Rose" means it was built by another company (usually the guitar manufacturer) to Floyd Rose specs. So an authentic "Floyd Rose" would be better by virtue of the fact that it is manufactured by the original designer.
-Rudy

Quote by blackthought
Sometimes it's best to prepare for the worst possible eventuality... sex with Bill Murray.
Quote by DukeDeRox
I'm as shallow as a dry lake bed.
Quote by BHD
Hey Guys!

Also, the bridge said "Floyd Rose" not "Liscenced Floyd Rose" like my LTD, what does this mean? What is better? On a review apparently the Torero has a Floyd Rose 1000 system?

Cheers for any help you can give me!

Daryl

Licensed Floyds are made by a third-party to the design of a real Floyd, but usually without the build quality or quality alloys or whatever have you. And here's a link to a video and a little info on the 1000 series for you!
Last edited by L2112Lif at Sep 15, 2010,
Awesome! Cheers!

So what's the differences between the Korean ones and the American ones?
GUITAR!!!!!
Ah! Thanks, thanks for the video too. When I last replied I hadn't refreshed my page recently enough to have seen your response on that. That clears up alot!

Also, in terms of amp. One day I will get a better one but at the minute I'm playing through a Marshall Valvestate with a Line 6 JM4 Looper because it has a lot of tones available (before you flame, I use it as a practice device at home because of the loopstation, metronome, tones, built in backing tracks, etc, wouldn't use it live.) When I say Jazz, I mean, I'm kinda learning a little bit, I'm no good at it! It seemed to have a nice warm tone when I tried it.
GUITAR!!!!!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
What amp do you have?

IMO if you also play jazz it's a bad choice, EMG pickups are known for a very sterile clean sound. But besides that because they're very high output they don't clean up very well.

I've seen stranger pickup combinations. EMGs can be made to do Jazz if you know how to EQ an amp, use your picking dynamics, volume and tone knobs, etc.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I am not big on PRS SE guitars myself mainly because I think they are a little over priced for what you get but they do make a nice guitar and far superior to any LTD on the market and IMO better than the Music Man line.

I play a few PRS guitars when I get a chance or when I see something new. I am really liking the Paul Allender sig in Emerald Green Burst, just wish I could get it in a hardtail. I actually found a used one for under $450.00 but passed because I found another guitar I liked a little better. It was the trem that was the deal breaker actually the other guitar was a hardtail. I am not a big fan of any trem equipped guitar plus I have more than I need.

If you played the guitar and liked it get it by all means. There are plenty of guitars I hesitated on buying that I kicked myself for passing on. Your the one who's going to be using it. Look for used ones though I have seen some great prices on used SE PRS models here in the states not sure what you guys overseas have for options. IMHO the PRS is a huge upgrade from what you own now!

John

John
It sounds like you really liked it, thats as good a reason as any to get it! I have one of the prs se's and I love it!
Quote by BHD

So what's the differences between the Korean ones and the American ones?

who, how, where, and from what it is made. and about $2k.

i also agree that the pups aren't the best option for jazz. if you are looking for a nice prs that can do both, well, look for a used McCarty or Custom 22. Should be around $1500 used. ($500 more than the torerro) Or find a used CE22, which should be around $1000 used. (CE guitars are mia with a bolt on compared to the custom 22 and mccarty which are set necks, but now discontinued so used is the only way to get one).
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 15, 2010,
Because for basically the same price, you can get a Carvin custom built in the USA to your specs.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
I can get a custom Carvin for the same price as the Toreno or as an America PRS?
GUITAR!!!!!
You can get a TOP of the line maxed out Carvin for the price of an American PRS, or a decently equipped one for the price of the Torero. The Carvin Ultra V for example (not saying this is the one you should get but just as an example) starts at just $700. You can get one decently customized for well under the $1K the Torero costs.

Although, I did just notice that you're in England so it's possible it might cost more due to shipping charges.
International prices on custom Carvins recently went through the roof, so shipping and customs are the least of your worries.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Yeah I honestly did not notice the OP's location. here in the US, I think I'd recommend Carvin over ANYTHING else in that price range though. And he still has the option of looking for a used one on ebay. Carvins that cost $2K from the factory can be found for $600 or less on ebay due to the poor resale value.
Quote by CustomAxe
\The Carvin Ultra V for example (not saying this is the one you should get but just as an example) starts at just $700. .

thats funny, the carvin website has it listed as starting at $849.00