Page 1 of 7
I'm just gonna start out and say that I friggin love meat.

It tastes awesome, it's great for building muscle, and we've been eating it for millenia.

However... have you ever actually SEEN an animal being slaughtered? Or even worse, have you ever actually RAISED an animal who is destined to end up on your plate?

The reason I've been thinking about this is because a friend of mine was telling me about her parent's pigs the other day. They're raised from little piglets, fed and nourished, taken care of and sometimes even cuddled. Then, after a certain amount of time, they are sent to the butcher's.

I was curious as to how she could talk so non-chalantly about the slaughtering of pigs she's known for years.

"Eh, you get used to it", she said.

I then got curious as to how animals are actually prepared for eating, and searched for videos. As it turns out, animals are stunned with a great amount of electricity, then hung up by their feet and have their throats slit, bleeding to death. This is considered the humane way of slaughtering an animal.

For some reason, that really got me thinking. All the meat that we eat, all the animals that die for our nourishment... I think I finally understand why people turn vegetarian, and for the first time in my life have actually considered it.

Discuss and share your experiences.
In person? No. I've seen plenty of animals just after slaughtering though, and I've cared for animals who eventually got slaughtered (my granddad has a farm that used to raise all kind of animals, just sheep now though). I've seen huge moose hung upsidedown completely skinned with a bucket of blood beneath them. I've seen buckets with animal parts, intestants, fur etc. and it doesn't really bother me.

Somehow it only makes me hungrier.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I vaguely remember seeing a pig being slaughtered whilst on holiday, though I think I turned away before the guy actually did it.
Also my dad went to a bull fight in Spain years ago, but he didn't realise they actually slaughter the bull after the fight, infront of the audience, he said it was the most disgusting thing he's ever seen.
When out for a walk with my parents and brother (I think I must've been about 6 or 7 at the time) there was an injured rabit on the track infront of us. My Dad ran up to it, grabbed it n broke it's neck. Then he put it on his knee and started to squeeze all the piss out of it. We took it home and ate it. Other then that I've never really see an animal propperly being slaughtered.
I have never seen an animal get slaughtered, but some of my friends grew up on a farm and they say you will eventually get used to it. It's as custom to them as swatting a fly.

It didn't make them less carnivorous at all.
Quote by Snowblind 911

maybe it's because of your description, or the fact that it's 1:30am here, or both, i can't stop giggling.

Sometimes girls say that too...
When I was a kid, my family had Cliff. He was our cow. Not sure how he was killed but I remember having cliff burgers. Those were so good.
My grandma also used to raise chickens for their eggs. Every once in a while she would kill a rooster and we would have him for dinner. I do remember seeing that.
Also if you want to count it.
I have caught fish and crab, killed it, prepped then cooked it.
ಠ_ಠ
About every easter my grandparents slaughter a lamb and about every Christmas they slaughter a pig (it's somewhat of a tradition here). I actually took part in it one easter (more than "bring me that towel/bucket/knife").
Yes, unfortunately... But we need to eat.. Circle of life, I guess.

I just fed a poor starving cat that I found in my garden.. It was so weak it couldn't even meow It seemed to really enjoy the gammon I gave it, though :3 omnomnom
When I was a kid we bought a pig for Christmas with the intention of killing and eating it. It was lying still in a sack and I wasn't sure if it was alive so for some reason I decided to poke it and then it started squealing and wriggling.
I've seen videos of slaughtering. But, these animals wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for us eating them Plus after the stunning they don't feel anything.
Quote by ZanasCross
My family raises beef cattle and chickens. Hell, I've slaughtered the animals before.

Last week, we killed/ate a cow that was named "Old Red" because she was red... I helped raise her from calf... even bottle fed her. She was delicious and I thank her for her sacrifice.

We had an Ol Red too! Nothing like bottle feeding young calves... Oh Nostalgia.
I haven't seen an animal slaughtered in person, but i have seen it on TV and seen dead chickens hung up in butchers, it doesn't really affect me, because its just how it is, i do love animals but also understand that this kind of thing happens and the way we do it is more humane than how it happens naturally (zebras and other animals being chased down and torn apart by tigers, etc.).
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I've seen them stabbed, burnt, gassed, electrocuted, hung, gutted, you name it. Only thing that still bothers me is the stench.
Been in a slaughter house a few times but never actually seen the act. Can't imagine it'd bother me though
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
ive never seen cows or pigs being slaughtered but i have cleaned fish , skinned squirels and rabbits for eating pourposes. i have seen chickens cleaned as well as deer though. that part doesent really bother me but i wouldnt raise an animal an then have it slaughtered for food though. that to me seems really inhumane.plus i get really attached to animals.
Yes and yes. Would be a shame to have all the dead bits go to waste, might as well eat it.
Muslims slaughter cows and goats every year.
We like it, most of the girls of the family dont like to watch though.
But ill be honest eating something i just saw killed two hours ago is kinda weird for me so i never eat the meat.
Quote by Afroboy267
[something about NiL having an std]

[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Funny you should say that, when I contracted gonorrhea, I peed almost a mist when I woke up that morning. That's actually how I noticed something was wrong.
Quote by SOADisdabest
When I was a kid we bought a pig for Christmas with the intention of killing and eating it. It was lying still in a sack and I wasn't sure if it was alive so for some reason I decided to poke it and then it started squealing and wriggling.

in a sack?

oh shit, they didn't kill it the traditional tongan way, did they?
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Yeah I've seen several animals be slaughtered before. Mainly pigs and chickens. And mainly when I was smaller. One time particular my uncle and grandpa killed a pig and after they had shot it, then slit its throat it got up and walked about 10 feet and then fell back over. Needless to say I was reluctant to eat pork of any kind for a while.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
I think raising the animal on your own farm isn't as bad as the slaughterhouses...

I mean, raising the animal yourself seems to be more humane than any slaughterhouse. Probably a lot cleaner too.
Nom nom nom tasty animalz

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Yep I've seen cows and sheep get slaughtered, they go spastic and lose their shit. It didn't put me off eating meat mind, I don't relate the two.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
i grew up on a small farm where we had a few sheep and cows that were destined for dinner plates.

i have seen one of them slaughtered before and it wasnt pretty. there was a sheep that was crazy and kept escaping so dad decided it was time for it to become meat. i watched as he slit its throat. it wasnt very nice and it pains me just to write about it.
also another time this sheep was giving birth to twins but somehow its intestines ended up all coming out of it behind. we hit it on the head ith the blunt side of an axe to knock it out then we cut it open down the stomach and searched through the innards where we found two baby lambs. i had to milk the dead mothers milk then feed it to the lambs we pulled out of her. that on wasnt so bad cause we rescued two lambs that would have died otherwise. i dont think those two lambs ever ended up on the table, they were kind of our pets after that ordeal

i like meat by the way, dont like the killing side of if, but we just hafe to live with it i guess
My uncle is a butcher.
So yes, I have seen my fair share of animals being slaughtered.

He told me that, if the butcher does their job right, the animal won't feel a thing before it's dead.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by Not Trey
I think raising the animal on your own farm isn't as bad as the slaughterhouses...

I mean, raising the animal yourself seems to be more humane than any slaughterhouse. Probably a lot cleaner too.

oh definately, if you raise an animal yourself you can make sure it has the best life possible, rather than being cooped up in a tiny, dark cage, but I cant help think that I'd get horribly attatched to the animal.

If I raised an animal, I'd probably keep it as a pet instead of sending it to the slaughter's. :/
I understand how you feel, i've seen it on TV - since i like documentaries about nature, and ofc i like Bear Gryll's

I have not seen it in person, and would prefer not to.

I do like meat, infact i had some not 30 minutes ago. But to go vegetarian has always crossed my mind.

I do however, only eat free range or animals that 'appear' to of have a good life, and not been shoved in hangers with no space to move. Not only is that cruel and unnecessary, it also then tastes crap - so it defeats the point.

However - should some apocalyptic stuff go down, i would turn into Bear Gryll's But only out of necessity.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
my grandad is a gamekeeper, and as such i have shot and killed pheasants or if they were just winged i have had to break their necks. first time was a bit strnage but i gut used to it.
Not in person, no. On TV, yes. Doesn't really bother me.

What's galling is the amount wasted.
Quote by SOADisdabest
Pretty sure they did actually, can't really remember it that well.

D:

that poor pig...
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by CoreysMonster
I then got curious as to how animals are actually prepared for eating, and searched for videos. As it turns out, animals are stunned with a great amount of electricity, then hung up by their feet and have their throats slit, bleeding to death. This is considered the humane way of slaughtering an animal.

iv seen videos of that too. it makes me feel pretty sick and depressed. its so horrible... like really horrible to see... you cant unsee/unheard that sh*it.
Grew up on a farm and worked for 3 years at an abattoir so have seen/done it thousands of times. You get over it pretty quick. Food chain baby!!
Being a farmer's son, I don't take it so hard.

There is a more human way, and that is to use a device to shoot it in the head so it's brain dies at once; no pain, just humane.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
I've seen Cannibal Holocaust
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.