So basically, I am trying to get myself a rig with the posibility to do a Marty Friedman tone, as close as possible. My budget would be around 600$. That's for both guitar and amp. The amp must be loud enough for small to medium gigs with a loud drummer, and preferably a tube one. About the guitar, don't really have prefferences, but if possible a LP shaped one would suffice, whammy bar not necessary. Thanks in advance ~

p.s.
I have to posibility to go used.
Quote by adyhendrixc
Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but its sterile and I like the taste.
sorry to break it to you but there's no way you'll get anything decent for $600. you might be able to find an OK guitar for $600, or a decent amp (probably not a tube one) for $600, but you'll need a heck of a lot more moolah to perfect your sound. so far i've spent about $2000 on my current set-up, and im still not done perfecting my tone. (plus i work in a music store so i get a discount! this would've cost someone else close to $3000)

good luck though.. you'll have to look at used stuff though if youve only for $600
Bummer...

Well, I don't want to strictly emulate the tone, just to get as close as possible to it.
Quote by adyhendrixc
Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but its sterile and I like the taste.
mmhm.. i dont listen to marty friedman much so i wouldnt even be able to tell you where to begin unfortunately. im sure hes got some sort of website with a gear list up, so you could check out lower end stuff of the same brands he uses! albeit that GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) can be grueling at times, its also very fun hehe youll learn a lot after trying a bunch of amps/guitars/pickups out too
Hmm i don't think his tone is that hard to replicate, i mean it does sound slight similar to Dave's. I imagine a lot of mids, and treble on a mid-gain amp. The tone is mostly in technique imo
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Any smooth high-gainer with plenty of mids will do, really. His tone is nothing special.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Thank you all so far, this provided me with some more infos for my research. I'll be popping in here later if I find something of use.
Quote by adyhendrixc
i think his tone is special because its that heavy metal tone right before brutal, and to me his tone is clearer and less bass emphasized so you can hear the mids and high end detail better like Daves is. consider a guitar with a JB pickup in it and a marshall vs100 head and cab, that will get you closer than you expect.
and i dont care about all you haters of marshall valvestates, there amazing heads in the right hands.
Kind of offtopic, what's the thing with the valvestate ? Why the hate ?

@surface54
Big thanks for giving me a clear lead over the matter.
Quote by adyhendrixc
Quote by Eklips
Kind of offtopic, what's the thing with the valvestate ? Why the hate ?

@surface54
Big thanks for giving me a clear lead over the matter.

im going to say the hate comes cause if you dont boost the amp to tighten it up like most amps, the low end is undefined. but once i got a 30$ boss overdrive the amp becomes a beast like most amps do.

marty used mojo wound JBs. so a regular ole JB will be 90% there for his main pickup sound. amp he used were JCM800 that Dave used and Martys endorsed amp was the Crate Blue Voodoo which i suggest passing up on, the gain is hairy and way overkill.
Kudos to you surface, so far, you win the secret cookie prize.
Well, off to research some clips.
Quote by adyhendrixc
Sir, I love you.

EDIT:
You have got one beast of a tone in your riffs, which are uberly epic, by the way.
Quote by adyhendrixc
Last edited by Eklips at Sep 15, 2010,
Quote by Soverange
sorry to break it to you but there's no way you'll get anything decent for $600. you might be able to find an OK guitar for $600, or a decent amp (probably not a tube one) for $600, but you'll need a heck of a lot more moolah to perfect your sound. so far i've spent about $2000 on my current set-up, and im still not done perfecting my tone. (plus i work in a music store so i get a discount! this would've cost someone else close to $3000)

This might be true in some cases, not here.

Marty Friedman used a Crate BV. Crate BVs can often be picked up for <$300, and they're all tube, high gain amps.

TS can probably find a used Ibanez SZ320 for around $300.

See what I did there, just got close to Marty Friedman's rig, for $600USD.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
@STABxYOU
I love you just as much, sir, I do.
Quote by adyhendrixc