I need a compressor with a twist.

When Im playing bass in a studio/band environment and I switch from Fingered to slap bass, there is a great difference in volume therefore it sounds middly and shit basically too loud and distorted even on clean settings etc.

Basically I was wondering if there is such a compressor that ONLY compresses the loudness of notes down, not the quiet notes up aswell. I want to keep the quiet notes quiet but I need the louder notes to be compressed the hell down.

I hope you know what I mean it was pretty tough to explain you should get it though if you have even a basic knowledge of compression (Cos thats all i have.)

If not, any other tips on smoothly switching from finger to slap would be great.

Cheers
I know close to nothing about using equipment and manipulating sound properly, but couldn't you just compress it and then turn it a down a bit?
Quote by nazfomo
You'd want a limiter, not a compressor.

+1
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Or tailor the settings to the sound you need for that specific song.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
set the threshold higher and increase the ratio to make it act more like a limiter.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Sep 15, 2010,
Cheers guys, I dont know what id do without these forums be shit i guess