For a while now, I have been wanting to take the tuning on my ESP down to B standard. The plan is to take a 7 string set and not use the high E, and I know about truss rod and bridge adjustments, but it is the electronics in the guitar I am worried about; I don't if the current pickups, etc. will be able to produce a clear, quality sound with such a low tuning. Right now, I have a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, but I bought that pickup when I was a bit younger and I wanted to be an extreme solo shredding maniac. Since then, I have matured (only a little, haha) and moved more into singing and rhythm playing, which I find infinitely more fun, but that is beside the point. Will the JB produce a thick, rich, but clear tone under heavy gain? Or will I need a different pickup to get a better tone?
True that... But I have wanted a new pickup for a while anyway, so any recommendations? Low tunings or other, something thick and ballsy sounding, but still clear. Maybe Dimarzios?
Will the JB produce a thick, rich, but clear tone under heavy gain?

A downtuned guitar with a JB produces a clear, icy tone with very distinct harmonics that are a little on thin side. It can get thick if you use it with a vintage-voiced amp and keep the mids up, or an amp that gets fuzzy at high gain.
I used to tune to Drop B all the time with .010 gauge strings, I used to be able to play with floppy strings very well, can't do it now. But I would just get a .013 gauge set instead of a 7 string set and throwing out the high E.

Reason is, is that B wont let you tune it the exact same as if it were a low E, and your high B wont tune to E, or C# for drop B.

Idk, another thing is the B string might be too big for the nut. You can still try it, I don't think it'll work out too well.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I used to tune to Drop B all the time with .010 gauge strings, I used to be able to play with floppy strings very well, can't do it now. But I would just get a .013 gauge set instead of a 7 string set and throwing out the high E.

Reason is, is that B wont let you tune it the exact same as if it were a low E, and your high B wont tune to E, or C# for drop B.

Idk, another thing is the B string might be too big for the nut. You can still try it, I don't think it'll work out too well.

what does that have to do with the question? he's asking about the JB handling the lower tuning...not string gauges And a seven string set minus the high e will work fine.

TS: I have a JB in the bridge of my drop B guitar...it handles the low B OK....I have EMG 81/85 on my baritone, and it's got a better low end. I'd just try out the JB and see what you think before you decide to replace it.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 15, 2010,
Alrighty, I will give it a shot with the JB. But the potential problem with the nut does make sense. If I do not like the new feel and sound of the guitar, and want to go back to normal string gauges, where can I get a new nut for the guitar? I live in Helsinki, by the way
Last edited by reddeltasev at Sep 15, 2010,
You don't need to buy a 7 string set, you just need some thick 6 string strings.

You probably will have to cut the nut, yeah.

The JB will work fine, I play in drop C/C standard sometimes, with a JB, and it's fine.
Weather it's the sound you want is a different matter.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Yeah, I've used baritones strings on a Fender Baritone Special before, takes some getting used to.

That'll work fine for what you want, but you will need to cut the nut to get the strings in there.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Ok, next time I am in Helsinki, I will check out some music shops to see if I can find what I am looking for. Thanks guys, you've all been very helpful. One more question: What can I expect with the tension of those strings? Similar to 10-46 in standard?
The D’Addario baritone strings are good, but they might not be heavy enough for a standard scale guitar. I get similar tension with those on my 26.5" scale guitar to .010s on a strat.