Hey everyone.
I'm not sure if this has been done before, but how on earth do you come up with great sounding poetry? I mean none of that cliché ABAB rhyme style, I mean the stuff with the great similies and metaphors. The only example in music that has this that I can think of is Mayday Parade's old songs which Jason Lancaster wrote. I mean, it's amazing how he comes up with all these ideas.
Earlier on today I wrote a quick poem but only got 6 lines done as I was meant to be creating a descriptive piece on a picture of a storm, but I did manage to write this about that image...

Sandy footprints start to slowly fade away,
The memories of a sun kissed beach on a luminous day,
Swallowed silently by a receding tide,
Below the sky where seagulls glide;
Lurking in the far horizon,
A storm created by the mighty Poseidon.

And that's all I got done. For me that sounds a bit too cliché, but what do you guys think? And how can I improve?
i think in order to write poetry you must first understand it: you have to be familiar with it. —do you regularly read poetry? i highly recommend doing so if you don't. you'll become more familiar with the different ways of presenting your ideas and your feelings. learn about the techniques involved in the process of writing poetry, we have a sticky in this forum with some useful writing tips. experiment with imagery, painting picture with your words to express certain feelings; structures, ABAB rhyme schemes are not really cliché (ask cummings or lorca ), uncreative, overdone, poorly written poetry is cliché; narrative tone; sonics; sensory descriptions; etc.

i think the most useful tip, apart from just writing, is exploring the different corners of poetry aka reading. seriously, there are so many different styles and views and everything, it's insane. romanticism, surrealism, naturalism, baroque, modernism, dada, humanism. find out what you like, then try pinning down why is it that you like it, and experiment with such characteristics. after you've got a good deal of practice and knowledge about the different tools a poet has, writing will become more and more natural (you'll also start slowly going insane, but w.e.), you will start developing a style on your own. let poetry sink into you and eat you inside out, or something like that. don't be afraid of trying new things. "literature is one of the saddest roads that leads to everything."

idk.

also, moved to S&L techniqures, read the rules, hehe :]
Quote by cubs
i think in order to write poetry you must first understand it: you have to be familiar with it. —do you regularly read poetry? i highly recommend doing so if you don't. you'll become more familiar with the different ways of presenting your ideas and your feelings. learn about the techniques involved in the process of writing poetry, we have a sticky in this forum with some useful writing tips. experiment with imagery, painting picture with your words to express certain feelings; structures, ABAB rhyme schemes are not really cliché (ask cummings or lorca ), uncreative, overdone, poorly written poetry is cliché; narrative tone; sonics; sensory descriptions; etc.

i think the most useful tip, apart from just writing, is exploring the different corners of poetry aka reading. seriously, there are so many different styles and views and everything, it's insane. romanticism, surrealism, naturalism, baroque, modernism, dada, humanism. find out what you like, then try pinning down why is it that you like it, and experiment with such characteristics. after you've got a good deal of practice and knowledge about the different tools a poet has, writing will become more and more natural (you'll also start slowly going insane, but w.e.), you will start developing a style on your own. let poetry sink into you and eat you inside out, or something like that. don't be afraid of trying new things. "literature is one of the saddest roads that leads to everything."

idk.

also, moved to S&L techniqures, read the rules, hehe :]

no, i dont read poetry that often tbh, i wish i did but i have a lot of coursework at the moment and im stressing out haha. i will check them out - i wasnt really saying all poetry like that is cliché, its just my writing that is . thank you for your help

oh and i know it should've moved to the S&L techiniques and i realised that after i posted but i was in the middle of work so i forgot to repost, sorry