Hey guys,

I'm just about to start doing a recording as my first part of coursework for my AS music course. The song can be practically anything since 1910 as long as it is commercially available. We've been advised to do a straight up rock song, or Punk-ish kinda thing.

Blink 182, Paramore, All Time Low, New Found Glory. That's what we're looking at here.

It makes it easier for us to record because we're already familiar with how everything should sound, and I already have an idea of how to record. Plus, there's no weird instruments or effects.

Right now i'm gonna do Dear Maria, Count Me In by All Time Low. Pretty simple guitar stuff, bass is just following and drums are fairly easy. I plan on doing everything but drums myself. But it also has a few cool bits like the cough at the start and the clapping section which show I put a bit more effort into it rather than just DI'ing everything in and just using that.

So, anyone out there doing the same thing and needs help choosing a song? Or anyone who's done it before and is willing to share some tips on how to get a good sound out of stuff?
Two observations about the OP:
-Most punk fans despise the bands you listed.
-You say the bass in your "punk" song is just following the guitar, but from what I've seen punk is characterized by relatively complex basslines.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
-You say the bass in your "punk" song is just following the guitar, but from what I've seen punk is characterized by relatively complex basslines.

Straight up rock or punk-ish. Keyword: or.
Plus ATL are pop-punk so yeah.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by rgrockr

I think he just forgot to put "pop" in front of punk.
Quote by rgrockr

Sorry man, I forgot to put a Punk there like this guy ^^^ said.

you care too much...
Why not just cover something from Lifetime or Gorilla Biscuits if you're going that Blink 182 way?
Quote by TheClincher
I give you the lolslope
---
--------
--------------
---------------------

Quote by Trowzaa

I love you.

When I did A level Music Tech, I found it easier to record bands that were actual punk, or folk. Think about the production levels bands like Blink and Paramore are using, you can never hope to replicate that. On the other hand, The Clash? Probably a bit easier.

On the folk side of things, look at something old with similarly low production value.. folk does have some interesting instrumentation at times though, so maybe best to avoid that.
Black metal. It's so easy and sounds just like it should: Shite XD

on a more serious note yeah thats what my mates did in tech(poppunk stuff, facedown was the main one), don't expect awesome results though.
Check out my Tumblr
Quote by Victory2134
The world seemed like a better place when I didn't know what racism, genocide, and the internet was.
I got an A for a fairly simple song... it doesn't matter what the song is as long as you've recorded, mixed and mastered it well.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Really doesnt matter, as long as you do a good job of it. Do something relatively short, something you're familiar with and something simple. The last thing you need is musicians f*cking up. Try producing a song when the only drummer in your class sucks dick at it.
Quote by rgrockr

This, just this.
You will score a lot more points by playing something a little more complicated. Oxymoron do some very melodic stuff, Insane, Concrete Jungle.

EDIT: Just reread first post. Turns out you're not looking for advice. You've chosen a song. And informed me you're DIing it. Cool story.
Last edited by UraniYum at Sep 15, 2010,
Is this music tech? This sounds very similar to the project i had to do a while ago.

If it is, then they're marking you on the overall mixing and general production on the song and not the song itself, i did 'boom boom' by John Lee Hooker because it's fairly simple to mix compared to a really complicated song with loads of parts. They wanted to hear that the student could do a good mix so basic instruments like bass , drums , guitar and vocals are really all you need, we were also advised to keep the song below 5minutes.

One song i nearly did was' blitzkreig bop' because for one, the original sounds badly recorded anyway, so it means you can not do too much to the song and then when you get to write up about it , you say 'i tried to keep the sound low fi to keep with the sound of the original song'
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Sep 15, 2010,
they dont care about the quality of the muscianship.

it is purely based upon the recording quality.

i did "Celebration" and got an A for my A2 ( did Beast and the Harlot in my 1st year and got a C )

if you do a song like Celebration, you will always get better marks.

Simply because you have to use a variety of close mic and ambient recording techniques....

the more you do the better marks if you do it well.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb