Hey guys,

I am currently gigging with a Blues/Soul/Funk band. I am really wanting to get into using less gain for more bluesy tones. The only problem is that, especially when soloing, you loose so much sustain with low gain settings.

I want suggestions for a good compression pedal for guitar that will provide good, thick sustain.

I know people commonly use comp pedal for percussive chicken pickin' stuff... so I guess my use is a little different.

Any ideas please,
Thanks

Steve.
i dont have very much experience when it comes to compressors, but imo the best compressors are the Mad Professor Forest Green Compressor and the CMAT compressor series.

i dunno, but:

budget? willing to go used? etc. etc. etc.

learn to wright a good thread please
Quote by bartnijman
i dont have very much experience when it comes to compressors, but imo the best compressors are the Mad Professor Forest Green Compressor and the CMAT compressor series.

i dunno, but:

budget? willing to go used? etc. etc. etc.

learn to wright a good thread please

It's spelt 'write'. Learn to 'WRITE' a good reply without being obnoxious, please.

The thread is asking for a good compressor for improving sustain. If I did not also mention a budget, or if I am willing to buy second hand - it's because I do not care about those criteria. It does not make it a poor thread. It has a question, and it asks in a very kind manner for people to give suggestions.

If someone posted a thread asking for a good reverb pedal, I would give them a few suggestions. I certainly wouldn't be arrogant enough to tell them to learn to write a good thread because they didn't mention a budget.

The root of many pedantic internet based debates is a single culprit who forgot about manners and replaced it with some form of condescending aggravation.

I apologise to anyone who believe's I made a poor thread with not enough detail. To clarify for future replies:- I asked one simple question and its the only one I require suggestions and advice for. I did not state a budget or any other criteria so you do not have to take that into consideration when offering me some helpful suggestions.

Many thanks,
Steve.
Last edited by Odium_Halo at Sep 15, 2010,
I use a MXR Dyna Comp and have found it great! However I only jam with friends not gigging!
My Gear

MIM Fender Strat

Vox AC4 TV
Marshall MG30DFX (now gone! )
Laney VC15 110 on the way!

EHX Small Clone
Marshall Gv'nor II+
Behringer DD100
MXR Dyna Comp
MXR Phase 90

Yamaha FG 411S
Quote by granite'n'bread
I use a MXR Dyna Comp and have found it great! However I only jam with friends not gigging!

Was seriously considering one of those. Do you get good sustained notes with it? ?
Quote by Odium_Halo
Was seriously considering one of those. Do you get good sustained notes with it? ?

Yep. Great sustain without an enormous amount of gain. PLay a fair amount of Gilmour/ Floyd and having the Dyna Comp has helped with Shine, Comfortably Numb, Another Brick etc which I'd always struggled with before.
My Gear

MIM Fender Strat

Vox AC4 TV

EHX Small Clone
Marshall Gv'nor II+
Behringer DD100
MXR Dyna Comp
MXR Phase 90

Yamaha FG 411S
Quote by granite'n'bread

I have a dyna comp, and have used it once, i would not recommend one.

however i am not that familiar with boutuque compressors, so do not have a specific one to recommend, but i like almost all of the stuff i hear from CMATMODS.

i know BBE have a few cheaper ones (look on ebay, not MF), if you are budget conscious, but i have not played one, but i have heard of some decent reviews.

i guess the only solid thing to say is to stay away from the dynacomp.

good luck finding the right one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

however i am not that familiar with boutuque compressors, so do not have a specific one to recommend, but i like almost all of the stuff i hear from CMATMODS.

i know BBE have a few cheaper ones (look on ebay, not MF), if you are budget conscious, but i have not played one, but i have heard of some decent reviews.

What did you find the problem with it? A number of people told me it would be very noisy but I haven't found that, even using a friends AC30.
My Gear

MIM Fender Strat

Vox AC4 TV

EHX Small Clone
Marshall Gv'nor II+
Behringer DD100
MXR Dyna Comp
MXR Phase 90

Yamaha FG 411S
Quote by trashedlostfdup

It is quite confusing hearing everyone I've asked on other online resources telling me that the Dynacomp is great, and I should definitely consider it. But then I come on here and someone is telling me to definitely stay away from it. I'd also be interested in hearing about specific problems.

I'd been quite interested in Keeley too.
I have a Boss comp/sustainer. It's pretty noisy though. I had a dynacomp before, it was probably better but had less range.
Quote by granite'n'bread
What did you find the problem with it? A number of people told me it would be very noisy but I haven't found that, even using a friends AC30.

the dynacomp is very noisey, but from what i have heard/played most compressors are.

i honestly can't put my finger on why i don't like it, but i have liked other compressors better.

i know that there are also many kinds of compressors out there, and maybe the dynamic type isn't the kind i like. i am not totally sure though.

i know i liked the Ross compressor better than the dynacomp, and i believe the Ross compressor is some type of modded dyna comp, or at least has similar circuitry.

for some reason the dynacomp has just never sung to me.

check some youtube vidoes, and check out the CMATMODS ones, if you are looking for a little higher price range.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
The only other compressor I've tried below £100 was the Boss and found that extremely noisy. I'm sure there are better ones than the MXR for a price.
My Gear

MIM Fender Strat

Vox AC4 TV

EHX Small Clone
Marshall Gv'nor II+
Behringer DD100
MXR Dyna Comp
MXR Phase 90

Yamaha FG 411S
Jacques Fat Burner is a killer comp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I've got an HBE Comp retro its a killer ross clone.....2 knob true bypass and very little noise.
Quote by Odium_Halo
It is quite confusing hearing everyone I've asked on other online resources telling me that the Dynacomp is great, and I should definitely consider it. But then I come on here and someone is telling me to definitely stay away from it. I'd also be interested in hearing about specific problems.

I'd been quite interested in Keeley too.

its just an opinion, take it for what its worth. i explained why it wasn't for me.

you haven't mentioned a budget, and boutique stuff has been mentioned, and you haven't flinched, and i assumed that you were out the get something that sounds "great" and not "average."

if you are interested in getting something capable of tonal ecstasy, i would stay away from the dynacomp.

if you are not looking for the best out there and mearly want something functional, and don't feel like laying out $150+, maybe the dynacomp would be great for you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
its just an opinion, take it for what its worth. i explained why it wasn't for me.

you haven't mentioned a budget, and boutique stuff has been mentioned, and you haven't flinched, and i assumed that you were out the get something that sounds "great" and not "average."

if you are interested in getting something capable of tonal ecstasy, i would stay away from the dynacomp.

if you are not looking for the best out there and mearly want something functional, and don't feel like laying out $150+, maybe the dynacomp would be great for you.

I understand what you are saying. I guess, I never mentioned budget because I just want to hear about good compressors for improving my sustain and if someone mentioned something below 100 bucks then great - but if it seemed really worth spending more than 100, then maybe it would be worth it to push the boat out. If it seems REALLY worth it, and it makes a substantially big improvement maybe I should spend as much as I can possibly afford.

Out of all compressors, the Keeley seems to be something I haven't heard anything bad about. The Janglebox and Janglebox 2 looked great on paper and reviews, but from sound clips and from reviews, it seems to be a one trick pony and good for Chime.
you need the Pigtronix Philosophers Tone- pretty much infinite sustain with barely any compression. The germanium one is supposed to be cool too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uWPLadlNA0
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Quote by Redstar5wp
you need the Pigtronix Philosophers Tone- pretty much infinite sustain with barely any compression. The germanium one is supposed to be cool too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uWPLadlNA0

Thank you for the suggestion. I have looked and listened to quite a few reviews of the Philosophers Tone now. It would definitely be one my shortlist along with the Keeley 2 and 4 knob pedals. I like how it seems to have put specific thought into 'Sustain', which is the main purpose I want from a Comp Pedal.

Nice suggestion!
Quote by Odium_Halo
It's spelt 'write'. Learn to 'WRITE' a good reply without being obnoxious, please.

The thread is asking for a good compressor for improving sustain. If I did not also mention a budget, or if I am willing to buy second hand - it's because I do not care about those criteria. It does not make it a poor thread. It has a question, and it asks in a very kind manner for people to give suggestions.

If someone posted a thread asking for a good reverb pedal, I would give them a few suggestions. I certainly wouldn't be arrogant enough to tell them to learn to write a good thread because they didn't mention a budget.

The root of many pedantic internet based debates is a single culprit who forgot about manners and replaced it with some form of condescending aggravation.

I apologise to anyone who believe's I made a poor thread with not enough detail. To clarify for future replies:- I asked one simple question and its the only one I require suggestions and advice for. I did not state a budget or any other criteria so you do not have to take that into consideration when offering me some helpful suggestions.

Many thanks,
Steve.

haha lol

first of all, i'm not english, i'm dutch, and i think i speak english very well.

second, if you read the opening thread of the gg&a, you'll see (if i remember it right) that it says how your thread should look like. and 'if i dont mention it, it means that it isnt an issue' (or something like that): what kind of bullshit is that? let me give you an example:

'yeah, hey dudes, i'm looking for a good amp. i play metal. thanks.'

well, there you go: this is a good thread, like you said so: he said he is looking for something, and doesnt mention anything, so that means he doesnt care about used/new, the budget, your nearest big city etc.

and if you read my first post, you would have seen that i did give you advice.

*coughcough*moran*coughcough*
the Keeley comps are great, but the 'math' behind them is simple: Ross clone with audiophile grade parts. The guy even uses silver solder from what I hear (not THAT uncommon, but devil in the details).

the catch is you can do the same thing yourself for much cheaper than Robert's prices (isn't a 2-knob somewhere in the ballpark of $220 these days?).

Google up some DIY pedal sites for more info if you want to go that route, otherwise...

The current dynacomps are pretty noisy considering they're supposed to be about the best of the mass produced comps, but keep in mind that if you push your threshold to the point of picking up your noise floor, all you're doing is amplifying noise, that is, noise from outside the pedal. Same goes for all comps. the Dcomp does use a lot of carbons & elec's though... they're known to be a little noisier than say silver mica caps and metal film resistors and so on.

I also like the Aphex punch factory, and I think it has a side-chain on the pedal if I remember right, but I don't think it's the best for what you've described as your needs.

+1 to the phil.tone. sweet pedal, nice comp + a few bells & whistles, but if you don't need the bells and whisltes (mainly the clipping section), you could probably do without this unit.

another +1 to the mad professor FG comp, but (correct me if I'm wrong here) don't those run for about as much as the Keeley? If so, I side with the Keeley, but maybe I'm mixed up.

and if all else fails, you could just sell your car/house/wife&kids/soul and get one of these:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/images/uploads/Fairchild670.jpg

EDIT: ****ing let it go Bart, no one gives a shit what you define as a good or bad thread. If you feel TS's weak post has left you without enough info, well, it's the internet. You're free to get up and walk the **** away. To your credit, you did recommend the MadProf comp though.
Last edited by GrisKy at Sep 16, 2010,
I think it is in the threads best interest that I disregard bartnijman's previous post entirely and do my best to not return mutual uncalled for rudeness in order to put an end to any immature quarreling immediately.

To be honest - I think I may be preferring the Philosophers Tone to the Keeley. Both are obviously brilliant, but the Pigtronix seems to have a degree of emphasis put into the idea of sustain. Although I am looking for balance of overall volume while playing a mix of chords and note lines - my priority goal would really be that of clean sustain. The Germanium Gold seems particularly lush to the ears!

Thanks to everyone for suggestions so far, it is proving extremely useful - I highly appreciate your time!

Steve.
Quote by GrisKy
the Keeley comps are great, but the 'math' behind them is simple: Ross clone with audiophile grade parts. The guy even uses silver solder from what I hear (not THAT uncommon, but devil in the details).

the catch is you can do the same thing yourself for much cheaper than Robert's prices (isn't a 2-knob somewhere in the ballpark of $220 these days?).

Google up some DIY pedal sites for more info if you want to go that route, otherwise...

The current dynacomps are pretty noisy considering they're supposed to be about the best of the mass produced comps, but keep in mind that if you push your threshold to the point of picking up your noise floor, all you're doing is amplifying noise, that is, noise from outside the pedal. Same goes for all comps. the Dcomp does use a lot of carbons & elec's though... they're known to be a little noisier than say silver mica caps and metal film resistors and so on.

I also like the Aphex punch factory, and I think it has a side-chain on the pedal if I remember right, but I don't think it's the best for what you've described as your needs.

+1 to the phil.tone. sweet pedal, nice comp + a few bells & whistles, but if you don't need the bells and whisltes (mainly the clipping section), you could probably do without this unit.

another +1 to the mad professor FG comp, but (correct me if I'm wrong here) don't those run for about as much as the Keeley? If so, I side with the Keeley, but maybe I'm mixed up.

and if all else fails, you could just sell your car/house/wife&kids/soul and get one of these:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/images/uploads/Fairchild670.jpg

EDIT: ****ing let it go Bart, no one gives a shit what you define as a good or bad thread. If you feel TS's weak post has left you without enough info, well, it's the internet. You're free to get up and walk the **** away. To your credit, you did recommend the MadProf comp though.

Thanks man, some great advice to keep in mind here. As I stated in my last post, the Germanium Gold version of the Philosophers Tone is really getting my attention. I'll make sure to look into the others that you suggested. Many thanks,

Steve.
Quote by bartnijman
haha lol

first of all, i'm not english, i'm dutch, and i think i speak english very well.

second, if you read the opening thread of the gg&a, you'll see (if i remember it right) that it says how your thread should look like. and 'if i dont mention it, it means that it isnt an issue' (or something like that): what kind of bullshit is that? let me give you an example:

'yeah, hey dudes, i'm looking for a good amp. i play metal. thanks.'

well, there you go: this is a good thread, like you said so: he said he is looking for something, and doesnt mention anything, so that means he doesnt care about used/new, the budget, your nearest big city etc.

and if you read my first post, you would have seen that i did give you advice.

*coughcough*moran*coughcough*

There is a big difference between an amp and a pedal. Amps can vary in a lot more ways then pedals. He asked for a good compression pedal so tell him a few good pedals if he doesn't like no biggie.

OT: The Pigtronix Philosophers King is one of my favorite pedals in my board. It's pretty big and costs a pretty penny but it's great. Go threw Pigtronix and you'll save some money to.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
really?!?! all the guts I've seen are pretty old.

how do they keep their cost down?
Quote by nightraven
actually the newest dynacomps have metal film resistors and panasonic poly film caps. the design has been tricked out by mr way huge tripps.

Really? I know he based the Carbon Copy off of the Aqua Puss, so did he take some of his personal touches from the Saffron Squeeze and put them in the newer Dyna comps?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Another great compressor to look at if you want to add sustain is the Diamond Compressor.
A bit more expensive is the Mad Professor Forest Green and BJFE Pine Green comps.
And on the cheaper end the Barber Tone Press.
Quote by nightraven
i don't think the carbon copy is a 'copy' of the aqua puss in the way that the aqua puss is a dm-2 clone, it sounds quite different. but yeah it is quite possible that he took some stuff from the saffron squeeze into the dynacomp. i hope so at least. what i don't understand is why dunlop aren't reissuing the red llama with a bunch of those mini controls on like on the mkII pickle. it would fly off the shelves. a piercing moose reissue would be sweet too

I know it's not an exact copy. And I agree. I'd like to see him reissue the whole line, especially the Blue Hippo or the Tone Leper.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by bogg808
Another great compressor to look at if you want to add sustain is the Diamond Compressor.
A bit more expensive is the Mad Professor Forest Green and BJFE Pine Green comps.
And on the cheaper end the Barber Tone Press.

Thanks guys, lots of interesting ones to research.

I found a Philosophers Tone Germanium Gold for really cheap online - its tempting me. I guess I just feel as though I will probably never use the Grit control, I really like the overdrive on my amp. However, it might be interesting to blend a little touch of Grit into the amps overdrive channel as a sort of solo boost. There are a few possibilities.

The Mad Professor does seem rather expensive, and the audio reviews of the Barber Tone press never really caught my attention much. I will look into that Diamond Comp you mentioned though, many thanks again,

Steve.
Quote by bogg808
I've heard some negative comments about the Philosophers tone from other forumites though...

Me too actually, but then again, I've heard something negative said about all compression pedals I've researched. Generally, for all the well known decent ones there is one horrendous review for every half dozen excellent ones.

Out of all compressors I've read up on, people seem to make a particular note of the sustain in the philosophers tone - that is something I am really trying to get. Especially with my cleans. I have heard negatives, such as the noise floor being raised during sustain that it is quite noticeable. I find that in live playing circumstances, with a band in a large bar etc, that kind of noise goes 90% unnoticed.... Usually!

Steve.
Quote by nightraven
speaking of the devil, just read a rumour on tgp from minutes ago that we're going to see a green rhino RI
strange that they would reissue that...

No, Jeorge wouldn't. The same article where he talks about the CC and the Aqua Puss, he talks about the green rhino and how there are so many silimar overdrives on the market.

edit: here's the article. i might have also read the parts about the Carbon copy and the Aqua puss a little too fast.

Also: Cameltoe
(Invalid img)
want.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by nightraven
green rhino is confirmed. going to be a red llama too.
there was talk about a camel toe reissue but i'm guessing that's cancelled if they're doing both halves separately. which is a good move.

Huh. well, he did say he wouldn't do the Aqua Puss, either

But that's awesome. Dunlop should scrap half of their pedals and reissue the whole line.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater