So I've seen lots of topics on broken guitar headstocks and I wondered.

Hell, how do things like these happen ?

The head stocks break clean off.
Is this because you just "nudge" a wall with a headstock? Mostly( just from reading from around here) things like this happen due to string change and truss rod adjustment. I mean wth ? Ive seen guitars SMASHED to the ground on purpose and everything stayed intack except for new holes in the body,cosmetics,sh!t even the joint between body and neck stays together which you would image should detach first.. but THIS.....

Im led to believe that these headstock "failures" are just bad fabrication and error, just as rare as plane crashes, but... its NOT ?
Quote by DocArunas
So I've seen lots of topics on broken guitar headstocks and I wondered.

Hell, how do things like these happen ?

The head stocks break clean off.
Is this because you just "nudge" a wall with a headstock? Mostly( just from reading from around here) things like this happen due to string change and truss rod adjustment. I mean wth ? Ive seen guitars SMASHED to the ground on purpose and everything stayed intack except for new holes in the body,cosmetics,sh!t even the joint between body and neck stays together which you would image should detach first.. but THIS.....

Im led to believe that these headstock "failures" are just bad fabrication and error, just as rare as plane crashes, but... its NOT ?

yes, your headstock can bey snaped.

ANYWAY: look at the gibson headstock (gibson is the prime example//any headstock thats bent back): if that fell on the floor, there would be a gap between the neck and the tip of the headstock. it woudl case a crack if it fell in a particular way, also, accidentally dropping somethign heavy on it/stepping on it.

sounds improbable, but it happens
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 15, 2010,
*Snape*

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought this
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Quote by Banjocal

ANYWAY: look at the gibson headstock (gibson is the prime example//any headstock thats bent back): if that fell on the floor, there would be a gap between the neck and the tip of the headstock. it woudl case a crack if it fell in a particular way, also, accidentally dropping somethign heavy on it/stepping on it.

sounds improbable, but it happens

i dont know how you could drop something heavy on it or step on it?

the only time my gibson les paul will ever fall is if my strap lock slips of my guitarstrap or if my case would fall out of its stand.

people should be more carefull with their stuff. a good guitar will cost at least 300-400 euros and someone ****in that up because they're not carefull enough should be bitten in the testicles.
That pesky Potions Master.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by wolvenrick
i dont know how you could drop something heavy on it or step on it?

the only time my gibson les paul will ever fall is if my strap lock slips of my guitarstrap or if my case would fall out of its stand.

people should be more carefull with their stuff. a good guitar will cost at least 300-400 euros and someone ****in that up because they're not carefull enough should be bitten in the testicles.

that's not really the point. I mean, shit happens no matter how careful you are. and yeah, gibson guitars are basically designed with a detachable headstock.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Ever done that egg-thing where you take care of it until it rots? - That is basically your duty as a guitar owner...
Quote by Banjocal

+10000
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Whenever the guitar falls from being completely vertical to being horizontal, the part of the guitar receiving 100% of the blow is the headstock because it protrudes further back than any other part on the instrument. The entire rotational force of the guitar falling is focused on the headstock.

EDIT: Since the weakest part of the neck/headstock is the volute, that's where (if one exists) a break will occur. Or if the guitar is equipped with a locking nut it will break between the screws holding the nut in place.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Sep 15, 2010,
There's many many ways, it can be bumped around too much in shipping, it can fall over and crack, you can accidently smash it off a wall, the strap can come loose and make it dive bomb, there's lots of situations where that could happen and it doesn't help that it's the most fragile part of the guitar
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
Headstock and neck damage cracks/breakage is pretty a common problem. I fix a boat load of necks and head stocks every year. I do not mind buying guitars with busted necks because i can fix them easily.

It all has to do with the grain of the wood in the neck. A lot of newer brand guitars are made with a scarf joint where the grain of the headstock can run straight in line with the angle of the headstock but they tend to break at the scarf joint instead. If you look at a Gibson neck grain it goes diagonally across the headstock so they tend to snap off usually right before the tuners at the heel and sometimes right thru the tuner holes.

http://www.jimfleetingguitars.com/2009/05/28/broken-headstocks-snapped-guitar-necks-and-my-solution/

See how the grain runs in the illustrations you can see where the weak spots are.

Older Gibson guitars were really prone to the head stocks breaking the main problem was the cases were too shallow and the top of the headstock rested on the bottom of the case rather than on the neck cradle so if the case fell flat on it's back the headstock would break in the case! The headstock and neck are the weakest points on a guitar the neck/body joint is usually pretty strong so the guitar will break at the week spots first.

John
Doesn't bother me to buy guitars with cracked necks either. I would be a bit iffy on broken off head stocks, unless I knew who fixed it. I can fix cracks myself, and have done it before.

My first Les Paul break happened when I was carrying my amp, chords and guitar. Had a normal strap, (no strap locks), and bent down. Headstock fell maybe 1/2 ft to 1 ft, and cracked the neck. Fixed it a couple years ago and it is fine.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)