Hey guys, I am looking to get some new strings for my Electric Fender Strat. Here are my pickups:
Bridge: Seymour Duncan Invader
Middle: DiMarzio Area '61
Neck: DiMarzio Area '67

My current strings are d'addario 9 gauge (forgot the type, but I think they are just standard). Anyway, I play a lot of punk/power chords, but I also like to play some bluesy stuff with my two single coil pickups. Mainly though, I want to just be able to play power chords with a Ramones type sound (kinda bright, but still dirty). Other bands that I would like to sound like are The Queers and Screeching Weasel. I would also like to start playing some ska, which uses a lot liter gauged strings.

Should I go with a lower gauge string size to get that brighter tone? Should I go a little higher in gauge?

Any suggestions? Thanks guys!
Last edited by pixelatedpunk at Sep 15, 2010,
the thicker you go with strings the duller they will sound. 9's will sound bright 14's with sound a little duller
Whaaaat!!!!!!
I would stick to 9's for what your doing if you enjoy it.

I personally like 10's much more than 9's.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
As long as you're not down-tuning a great deal, you can play any type of music with any guage strings, ie. you don't need thin strings to play ska (you don't get thinner than 8s anyway really).

Basically strings are down to preference, we can reccommend you all sorts of things, but you might buy them and hate them.

I always use D'Addario XLs, 10s or 11s. I play various types of music in various tunings on various guitars, and those strings have never let me down at all.

For power chords, 10s might add abit more beef than your 9s.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Stick with the 9's. Get Ernie Ball super slinky pink pack they have a nice balanced sound a little on the bright side compared to other brands. They sound great with distortion and really nice clean they last a long time without going dull in tone and I never had a set rust. I have been using them for around 20 years so that means you have to use them to because I said so and I have seniority. JK

Idk maybe it's just me but sometimes when I bend on some 9's it feel way "easy" sounding compared to 10's and others in general
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
I don't know how Earnie Ball have such a reputation personally.
Any pack of Earnie's I've ever bought have always broken, and started to sound dull after a couple weeks, they also get very dirty very quickly.

It's kinda like McDonald's, people go there to buy things just because it's a world famous brand, even though you can get much better quality products elsewhere, without even going to some posh resturant.

I switched to D'Addario after about 2 years of playing with Earnie's, the quality is just so much better, they last so much longer, and they never break. I havn't looked back since.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
That's really wierd, funny how things like that work.

The things about the musicians using them is irrelevant though, it's just endorsement. There's no way of telling weather they actually use them all the time. But I know what you mean.

I've obviously played far worse strings than EB, but I've played far better too.