Yes you heard me, EMG coil taps are going on my Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe. I'm not risking my guitar with the guitar center staff. I know a person who owns the shop where i take guitar lessons. So basically, the reason why I'm doing this and not keeping the original coil tap pickups is because they're just weak for the style that i always play which is metal. I'm really set on the EMG Coil taps. The only thing is... i need pots suitable to EMGs and coil tap. I just need more thoughts on the EMGs and i need some pots suitable since my pots on my Les Paul are no good for EMGs. If it helps my Les Paul currently has 490R in the neck and Burstbucker Pro in the bridge. Another problem is the 9V battery compartment. I feel uncomfortable when it comes to routing wood out for the 9v battery. Is it ok to put the 9v battery compartment in the control cavity? I'm asking this since all of the guitars that i've seen and tried out with Actives have a 9v battery compartments which kind of scares me when it comes to my guitar.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/EMG-EMG-89-Split-Coil-Humbucking-Active-Guitar-Pickup-100303747-i1323632.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/EMG-EMG-81TW-Active-Dual-Mode-Humbucker-Guitar-Pickup-104841911-i1385499.gc
You can put it in the control cavity and they SHOULD come with the pots and jack and stuff (considering guitar center says the 81 does).

Tell me how the 81 is when you get it, I was looking at the same one and want to know if it has at least a decent cleanish sound.
Why why why why? You don't have to have EMG's to get a good metal tone. Get a Dimarzio Super Distortion or some other high output passive pickup. At least then you can play cleans as well.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
Why why why why? You don't have to have EMG's to get a good metal tone. Get a Dimarzio Super Distortion or some other high output passive pickup. At least then you can play cleans as well.

Even though i don't want to disable the coil tap on my les paul i did look at a few DiMarzios. i tried out the D-Activators and i really liked those... and the EMG coil taps
Quote by Wisthekiller
You can put it in the control cavity and they SHOULD come with the pots and jack and stuff (considering guitar center says the 81 does).

Tell me how the 81 is when you get it, I was looking at the same one and want to know if it has at least a decent cleanish sound.

Yeah i just checked the GC website and it says it includes the prewired push-pull pot
D-activators and the liquifire/crunchlab combo are meant to be superb for metal.

Try the 18v mod if you get some EMG's (google it, theres alot of information on it). It makes them sound supremely better.
Quote by Imalwayscold
Try the 18v mod if you get some EMG's (google it, theres alot of information on it). It makes them sound supremely better.

more defined and tight anyway!

I wouldn't say that the sound gets supremely better, but it does make a difference! I'm glad that I did it to my Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis. It made the bottom sound much tighter and defined when speedpicking!

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3