I am struggling to choose between the Fender 70s Strat:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-70s-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-100493343-i1146386.gc
and the Fender Standard Strat HSS:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-105156673-i1431994.gc

I have enough to buy either, but I could maybe get some effect pedals and stuff if I get the standard. Im just trying to choose between either one. Also, how are the whammy bars on these cause i have played some cheap guitars with them and they are useless. Is it worth it on these or do they just send the guitar out of tune instantly.
Maybe take a look at the American Special Series for just $50 more than the 70's strat...?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
would never by a 70s strat. just because of the headstock!
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
I have 2 fenders (not same model as those)

1986 Japan Fender
2005 American Fender

i use whammy all the time and never goes out of tune. (both of them)

as for which guitar to choose, have you played any of them? what music do you play? humbucker would probably be more versatile.
I play some classic rock (AC/DC, Beatles, Hendrix ect) and some punk stuff ( Ramones, Kinks, Sex Pistols, ect).
I have no idea how good the American Specials are in comparison to the MIMs and MIAs, but I'm looking at the Tex-Mex Vaughan strat at the moment and it looks as if it might be your type of thing.

Priced probably 100 bucks or so around the 70s too.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
Dont get the HSS. they don't even sound like real strats in my opinion.
Quote by mattteen
Dont get the HSS. I'm stupid and don't know anything.

Fixed that for you.

I think you'd be alright with either one, really- I like the bridge single coil, but the humbucker couldn't hurt you.

As far as the trem units, you can't dive bomb, but setting it up properly makes it stay in tune through a lot of abuse. Mine never went out of tune, and all it had was locking tuners.

Also, I like the 70's headstock.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Well I was just wondering, could single coil pickups still sound good on some harder stuff with distortion, such as metal. I'm not currently a fan, but I figure if I develop a taste for it (my musical tastes have been changing since I picked up a guitar), I'd want a guitar that could at least play it.
Quote by benn913
Well I was just wondering, could single coil pickups still sound good on some harder stuff with distortion, such as metal. I'm not currently a fan, but I figure if I develop a taste for it (my musical tastes have been changing since I picked up a guitar), I'd want a guitar that could at least play it.

Sure, check Malmsteen out!
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
Malmsteen now has signature DiMarzio pickups, but I don't know if he's always had them. Regardless, I've gotten great distortion sounds out of single coils- it's more the amp and knowing how to EQ well than it is which pickups you have.

I haven't played the ash Strat, but it's just a normal oen with an ash body for cosmetics and tone. If I remember, it's a little brighter and sustains more than alder, but it's a bit heavier. As far as the cosmetics, it's pretty when grain filled correctly, but I still prefer koa.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Im just wondeing noiseless pickups? What exactly does that mean, what is the difference between noisless pickups and regular pickups, and are they more suited for a certain genre of music
They use a Samarium Cobalt magnet (the S and C in SCN) and a stacked design to reduce normal hum, and some say it improves range and sounds better; I don't know about the first, but the latter is subjective, like everything tone.
Quote by Wisthekiller

I actually think I might get the ash strat and maybe buy a good effect pedal, like a wah wah, rather than dish out all my cash on the 70s strat. I would buy a 60s one, but don't have either of the colors I would prefer (Sea Blue or Blonde White). I would consider black, but I already have a black one, but I don't even think they have that.