I'm a guitarist that has jumped to playing bass with a band, mainly due to the talent of the other members & quality of songwriting. I've been using a crappy 15watt guitar amp for practice, not ideal but needs must, and a Peavey head with a Carlsbro cab in the rehearsal room. but as gigs are looming, I need an amp. Been thinking about these two amps; http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ampeg-ba-115/69685 http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/a-100/12556 would like your opinions on these, or something else about the same sort of price. Cheers
Depending on where you are gigging, the 100W may not be enough to push you over a drummer / guitarist.

But here's my take on the two you've posted.

The Hartke is the better of the two. Its a good solid transparent amp and sounds great. Its built well.

The Ampeg. This is coming from a huge Ampeg fan mind you. Don't go there. Like GK, Ampegs entry level combos leave much to be desired. The classic Ampeg sound is compromised and the amps are underpowered given their wattage.

Another option is to take that budget and go used. You will find some great gear in the used market that will allow you to upgrade to a better level within the same budget.
Eh, I think most will say Hartke. The most being the most who actually know what theyre talking about. Ampeg has a big name, but their low end stuff is meh. Hartke, on the other hand, is a tried and true brand for all prices.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Venue size is likely to be no more that 250, probably less. As the Hartke has an XLR out, it could easily be fed straight into a PA, leaving the amp speaker as a monitor. The music type is not loud, the rehearsal amp is only 200 watt, with a 1x15+hf horn cab, and that never gets above 3 on the master & 5 on the gain, so I'm hoping 100watt should be enough. I keep looking for something used nearish to me, but all the good stuff seems to be about 2-300 miles from me :0(
Although I use Ampeg, I recommend the Hartke also. The 7 band EQ is the kicker of the two. You should be fine for gigs with it....unless your guitar player(s) are using Mesa Triple Rectos like mine do lol
The guitarist uses a mid 70's Fender twin, but luckily he does know how to turn it down!! he he he!!
100W should be fine as long as your drummer doesn't have hands of lead and your guitarist doesn't have his amp dimed. I use my Acoustic B100 and it's done perfectly fine for the few gigs I have done.

Which brings me to my next point: buy an Acoustic B100. Best bang for your buck ever. Except maybe the B200. Well built, trasparent sounding, and decently powered. I'm actually not 100% sure if they distribute where you are, but I think they do.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
You have an exceptional guitarist if he knows where the volume control is. Cherish him.

I think you are getting a consistent message. 100W is going to be enough for most but not all situations so getting a bigger amp means avoiding having to upgrade. Read this http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/making_it_loud.html for the details.

Of course you can go through the PA for the audience to hear but you still need to hear yourself. In the UK Ashdown are worth considering and they have great after sales too. this is your price range http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-guitar-amps/pid9468/cid561/ashdown-electric-blue-eb15-180-watt-1x15-bass-combo.asp but I too will say go for used. Try Basschat.
What's your real, total budget? If you want to spend a hundred or two more than those amps you posted and then go used you're really looking at a smorgasboard of really great amps.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I had one of those ampeg BA115 combos... AVOID! Like the plague, if possible. It sounds ok, but the tweeter makes a really annoying hiss and it's seriously underpowered, I was struggling to keep up at band practice, got rid of it before i had a chance to gig it because there was no way on earth it was going to cut it.

Buy yourself a used stack. You could get a used hartke or ashdown stack for under 300 notes. I got myself an ashdown EB180 stack with 115 and 210 cabs for i think it was about £250 off ebay a couple of years ago. The cabs tend to go for around £100 each, a MAG300 or EB180 head would cost you under £200 certainly, and you've got yourself a perfectly acceptable gig rig, and i've gigged with a single cab and the EB180 head a few times, plenty of power and punch there. Ignore the woolly ashdown myth, it's tosh.

Get on Basschat , UK bass forum with loads of great deals on amps, cabs etc. I go by the same name on there, feel free to hit me up for some advice.
Last edited by budget bassist at Sep 17, 2010,
Thanks all for the comments, I've spotted an Ashdown MAG300 and 4x10 cab for £260, will have to check that out quick I think!
Quote by anguskilminster
I'm a guitarist that has jumped to playing bass with a band, mainly due to the talent of the other members & quality of songwriting. I've been using a crappy 15watt guitar amp for practice, not ideal but needs must, and a Peavey head with a Carlsbro cab in the rehearsal room. but as gigs are looming, I need an amp. Been thinking about these two amps; http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ampeg-ba-115/69685 http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/a-100/12556 would like your opinions on these, or something else about the same sort of price. Cheers

try out an Acoustic B100...cheap, powerful and great tone...
FYI, as mentioned earlier in the thread, he's across the pond. Acoustics aren't available in the UK and Europe.

If that Ashdown is in good working condition, that's an ideal setup.
Quote by anarkee
FYI, as mentioned earlier in the thread, he's across the pond. Acoustics aren't available in the UK and Europe.

If that Ashdown is in good working condition, that's an ideal setup.

really... no Acoustics in GB and Eur????...didn't know that...bummer