Hey guys, I've been looking to upgrade from my Valvestate for a while now, as I want something more natural and less... crappy. I've been looking at the Vox AC15, but before I go all-out GAS on it I want to know if you guys think there's a better option out there.

My price range is up to $700 at the absolute most. I play mostly 90s alt. rock, old blues, modern alt. rock, and classic rock. Also, I'd like something loud enough to play small gigs with unmic'd.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

I have a name. It is Mitch.
Come on, I know you guys are just dying to give me some sound advice.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

You should check out a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL. Solid amp for most styles. You should try a Mesa Caliber series (DC-2/3/5, Studio .22), too.

EDIT: Also, if you can save up another $100-$200 you could get a used Mesa Mark II or Mark III. Try before you buy, though.
Last edited by phlip999 at Sep 15, 2010,
find a used Mesa in that price range, you'll be set for life
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by phlip999
You should check out a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL. Solid amp for most styles. You should try a Mesa Caliber series (DC-2/3/5, Studio .22), too.

EDIT: Also, if you can save up another $100-$200 you could get a used Mesa Mark II or Mark III. Try before you buy, though.

Solid choices.....I loved my Mark III blue stripe!
Good suggestions, as I tried a Mesa head one time last year (can't remember the model) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. But I guess I kind of assumed they were geared towards metalheads, which I am not one of.

Also, should I assume the lack of responses means these are the only amps in the price range that are better than an AC15?
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

Maybe an Egnater Rebel (i can't remember which one has the EL84's, but i think its the 20). its not my favorite egnater product, but i would still take one over the budget AC15. maybe even a tweaker. although the tweaker's strong point isn't the AC tonestack, the lowgain marshall and lowgain fender are awesome and the low gain high volume voxy clean isn't too shabby. just a few thoughts. at least check out the youtube videos.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Mesa DOES have metalhead amps, most of there amps can do metal, but just because there good at that, don't say they arn't great, versatile amps.

Haven't tried an AC15, maybe a Epiphone Blues Custom Combo, Peavey Classic 30, so you can save a couple bucks, maybe buy some pedals. Not too sure though...
Quote by shredftw
find a used Mesa in that price range, you'll be set for life

???
No. For modern music maybe, but anything vintage I would go elsewhere