Hello all,

I was thinking of picking up a used Squier to get some experience modifying. My father is an excellent wood worker and I would be doing this with his help. There is a plethora of right handed Squiers, but I play left handed. I spent some time today with a photo manipulating program and came up with this. Do you all think it would be possible?
Attachments:
70637_l-12 (Small).jpeg
Last edited by dacole at Sep 15, 2010,
No it wouldn't be possible...not unless you change the bridge out. You are using a right-handed body strat, and left-handed neck, am I correct? If that is the case, then you would need a new bridge, a lefty one. At that point, you've spent enough money on a Squier, that could have bought you a new lefty guitar.
Last edited by SSampuser68 at Sep 15, 2010,
You could just restring it and play it upside down. Moving the jack would be helpful, so would getting a lefty bridge.

If you restring, make sure to flip the nut around.

There was some famous guitarist that played a strat like this, but upside down. I can't remember his name though....

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I understand that I will have to change the bridge and flip the nut to re-string it. I want to do this more for the fun of it then the need. I can get one of these guitars for ~$80 used and a new lefty Squier would cost me ~$190.

What I would be doing with the right-handed guitar would be moving the jack and shapping the upper horn to make it look like the lower one and also to help give access to the upper frets.

I can get one of these guitars for ~$80 used and a lefty would cost me ~$190.

I have never owned a strat type of guitar with a trem bridge, can the saddles not be swapped around on the bridge to make it lefty?
Last edited by dacole at Sep 15, 2010,
Quote by dacole
I understand that I will have to change the bridge and flip the nut to re-string it. I want to do this more for the fun of it then the need. I can get one of these guitars for ~$80 used and a new lefty Squier would cost me ~$190.

What I would be doing with the right-handed guitar would be moving the jack and shapping the upper horn to make it look like the lower one and also to help give access to the upper frets.

I can get one of these guitars for ~$80 used and a lefty would cost me ~$190.

I have never owned a strat type of guitar with a trem bridge, can the saddles not be swapped around on the bridge to make it lefty?

Yes they can, but i'd just replace the bridge all together if it was me.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Little_Buster

Are they hard to swap around, is that why you would suggest getting a new bridge? I was "raised" on stop bar bridges so I wouldn't mind replacing the trem bridge with one of those. I don't use trems anyways.
Quote by MonkeyLink07
You could just restring it and play it upside down. Moving the jack would be helpful, so would getting a lefty bridge.

If you restring, make sure to flip the nut around.

There was some famous guitarist that played a strat like this, but upside down. I can't remember his name though....

I c wut u deed dere
Quote by dacole
I extended it a little further. Ultimately I would be putting a tune-o-matic bridge on it.

That looks sick, and I say go for it, but that's not a tune-o-matic bridge
I know its not a tune-o-matic. I made the previous picture in GIMP from the attached picture and kind of left the bridge the same so that it looks like a real picture still.
Attachments:
original (Small).jpeg
Cool, a fellow linux user

Keep in mind that you will have to also fill the routes for the pickups, and that's going to be pretty painful. Now I'm thinking, why dont you just order a custom body from warmoth? Unfinished, you can keep it around 250, get a used mim strat neck on ebay for around 100 and you're set. It's more expensive than bullet, but still, you get a nicer guitar.
Or, build your own body for much less out of better wood

Unless tools are an issue...

Then, I would just keep with your bullet idea.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Sorry Rice_Pilot, I've been using GIMP on Windows, can't convince the wife that Linux Rocks!

I am starting to think I should go the build-your-own-body route. Are any of the mighty mite or all parts necks all right?