There's a problem growing on my pedalboard.

In order to switch from a clean sound to an overdrive sound, I have to turn off my compressor, turn off my chorus pedal, and turn on my overdrive pedal and the overdrive channel on my amp.

The reverse goes for the OD to a clean sound.

How can I simplify this so that I can press 1 button to turn on/off different pedals?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
midi or a custom switcher. i cant really think of any off the shelf unit that will let you switch between two pedal loops and control an amp channel relay. well, aside from a full midi setup anyway.
pardon my thread jack but I had a quick question. I only have 2 pedals atm, planning on getting more, if I want that guitar straight to amp tone could I use a looper? I really like the tone I get guitar straight to amp, and I'd really like to get as close to that as I can with my pedals still connected. I'm also gonna switch to gold plated stuff soon to help this.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Last edited by Funk Monk at Sep 15, 2010,
http://www.tonebone.com/tb-loopbone.htm

and your Footswitch. Disengage Chorus/Compressor and go to O.D (i.e switch loops) then press the channel change on your amp. You will have minimal tone loss if you put the pedals near and do it quickly. If you have lots of money, get a custom midi setup. But I'm guessing you don't.

Quote by Funk Monk
pardon my thread jack but I had a quick question. I only have 2 pedals atm, planning on getting more, if I want that guitar straight to amp tone along could I use a looper?

yes, just take a jack and connect one loop without any pedals in.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Sep 15, 2010,
I have this same problem except it's only with my OD pedal. I found a way to set it right below my amp footswitch so I can hit them both at the same time. I dunno what I'd do if I had multiple pedals.
Quote by Funk Monk
pardon my thread jack but I had a quick question. I only have 2 pedals atm, planning on getting more, if I want that guitar straight to amp tone along could I use a looper?

Well, no, because a looper will only lengthen your signal chain, resulting in tonal loss, unless you have a good buffer in there or buy a looper with a buffered bypass.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Well, no, because a looper will only lengthen your signal chain, resulting in tonal loss, unless you have a good buffer in there or buy a looper with a buffered bypass.

I edited it a little but do you know the best way of achieving that pure straight to amp tone while stills running pedals?
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Funk Monk
I edited it a little but do you know the best way of achieving that pure straight to amp tone while stills running pedals?

You'd need an a/b pedal and a two-way merger, with good quality parts, preferably point to point construction.

Guitar->A/B->......->Merger->Amp
...........->Pedals->

EDIT: Or only buy true bypass pedals. Or mod your existing pedals to true bypass.
---
http://www.tonebone.com/tb-loopbone.htm

Although, to be fair, what I suggested before has a bypass which is in fact true bypass. So you'd probably be fine with the loopbone.

Oh, and to original TS: The loopbone has something called "Slingshot", which I'm pretty sure can be used to switch your amps channel as well, provided it supports the normal 1/4" jack kind of footswitch. Jof, might interest you.

Quote by Radial's website
The Loopbone is equipped with three Slingshot control slide switches to achieve universality with most devices. The first switch assigns the ¼” jack to either the ring or tip for amplifiers that employ TRS style ¼” cables with their footswitches. The second switch lets you select either latching or non-latching (momentary) type switching for amps that employ an electronic pulse to switch channel or option (eg: reverb or tremolo) status.

The third switch makes the Loopbone particularly fun in that the Slingshot remote control function may be assigned to any one of the three footswitches. This could for instance allow you to send a channel change command to your amp at the same time you activate one of the FX loops or the boost switch. Add a Cabbone to your system and you could instantly switch speaker cabinets and really zero-in on the tone you are looking for. Best of all, you can make all of these devices switch at the same time with a with a single foot action.... and no tap dancing!
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Sep 15, 2010,

EDIT: Or only buy true bypass pedals. Or mod your existing pedals to true bypass.
---

I would not recommend this as it will cause significant signal degradation over long stretches. At least one good buffer pedal is OK, IMO. In fact, David Gilmour had this problem in the '80s (as well as noise problems) which is why he had switched to EMG single coils, but that's a whole other bag of tonal concerns.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Oh, and to original TS: The loopbone has something called "Slingshot", which I'm pretty sure can be used to switch your amps channel as well, provided it supports the normal 1/4" jack kind of footswitch. Jof, might interest you.

id actually seen that before and forgot about it. ah well

it would interest me a lot more if i couldnt design something for myself that did essentially the same thing for a fraction of the cost. the radial stuff is great, but if you know exactly what you want its typically cheaper to make it yourself (provided you know what you are doing).
It is most certainly possible to build your own looper switches. I built a very simple one with just one loop, and I'm about to make another that will have 2 loops and LED's to indicate when they're on.

There's a simple diagram for how to wire it, I believe it's in the Gear Building forum.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1
This is probably a dumb question, but what if some of my pedals aren't connected directly to each other? For example, I have to turn my chorus pedal and compressor on for my clean sound, but my chorus pedal is in the effects loop and my compressor is in front of the amp. How do I solve that problem?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by GoIrish668
This is probably a dumb question, but what if some of my pedals aren't connected directly to each other? For example, I have to turn my chorus pedal and compressor on for my clean sound, but my chorus pedal is in the effects loop and my compressor is in front of the amp. How do I solve that problem?

then you go back to Jof's original idea and get a MIDI switching unit like the GCX (except not the GCX, 'pops' like a mother****er).
something like that will let you (1) run fx both infront of your pre and in your loop, and (2) switch all of them on/off as programmed in your patches, and possibly (3) switch your amp's channel depending on the MIDI unit in question and your amp.

...and if your amp doesn't speak MIDI, look into RJM's stuff, or Bradshaw if you've got the cash, but I'm pretty sure it'd be considered a custom order if you go through CAE.

as far as the simple TBL's go, +1 to building your own shit, but also look into roadrage. their loopers were so cheap last time I looked it was worth the saved effort to just buy one of theirs (like $30 single TBL w/ LED, good jacks...).
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 3, 2010,
Brian at loopmaster is great. He can build you exactly what you want. I just emailed him yesterday. I would suggest checking him out.

www.loop-master.com

EDIT: The Carl Martin octaswitch its alittle over $400. But with the DIP switches you can set 7 of the 8 banks to any assortment of your pedals. I say 7 out of 8 because there is no bypass so if you want to use no effects you need to set one of the loops up with no pedals. Check it out.
Last edited by VishNuRoXoUt at Oct 3, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta

dude you've said this before but you can get loopers that have a direct through from your guitar to the amp. It would only be adding one stage to your chain.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
i have the same issue......i looked at loop pedals and all that nonsense.....wayy too much money there. so i have sucked it up and settled for pressing 2 buttons rather than 5. check out the boss LS-2 or the old version boss PSM-5. i have the psm-5 and it works just fine. now all i have to do is hit the switch for cleans or hit it again for straight to amp and then when its drive time hit my drive channel. my od is usually on and i use an ernie ball volume to controll its output for cleans with chorus and stuff like that. look it up.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right