My Morely Bad Horsie 2 claims to be true bypass, but when I connect it Amp<<<<Wah<<<<Guitar I still hear a slight change that I don't like. Could It be my cables?
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Possibly.

Also for every inch of cable your signal degrades a smidgen due to the resistance of the cable. It shouldn't be anything noticeable with just a wah in the way, but it's worth knowing.
Long cables runs without any buffering (buffered bypass pedals, pedals that are on) can reduce the high end of your tone because the longer the cable the more capacitance it has.
Turing the wah on buffers the signal reducing the effect of the cables on your tone.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 15, 2010,
Quote by justinb904
Long cables runs without any buffering (buffered bypass pedals, pedals that are on) can reduce the high end of your tone because the longer the cable the more capacitance it has.
Turing the wah on buffers the signal reducing the effect of the cables on your tone.

This.

All true bypass means is that there's a wire connecting the input-output of the pedal, which is where the signal goes through when the pedal is turned off. When the pedal is turned on, true bypass is insignificant as your signal is passing through the pedal's circuit.

Of course, buffered bypass is not inherently inferior to true bypass, as over long cable runs the signal will degrade. That said, poor buffers will cause your tone to suffer.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
my bbe green screamer does that too. good to know its probably the cable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
im running pretty much the same chain you are, dont really notice anything different. other than its just the feeling of the wah being there lol. well, i do get wierd nuances with my setup all the time, could be my crappy cables or i need a power conditioner. what cables are you using? my parents got me the cheap live wire ones from GC for Christmas lol
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
right now i'm using crappy cables, with one that I like the most that I use for the straight to amp stuff most of the time.

I want to start using the best cables though so I can really start narrowing down my tonal nuances.

Does anyone have any good companies they could recommend? Price doesn't matter as i'm gonna be saving up, and I'd really like to try gold plated stuff.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
The Bad Horsie isnt true bypass. In fact, they dont say it is, they say its "True Tone Bypass", not true bypass. Its just marketing crap anyway. It has an OK buffer, but its not that great really, so thats probably why you can hear a difference.
F***, Really?

Is there a way I can do a true bypass mod to it? Or would it be easier to invest in a true bypass wah? I would really like it if this wah had a true bypass.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
i am going to most likely get flamed for this, but every cable i own is Monster (Rock for instrument and prolink for speaker). the moster rock DO color your tone a little bit, AS THEY ARE DESIGNED TO. Its hardly noticable unless you are A/Bing. I personally happen to love the mild coloration.

here are the pros of monsters in comparable to most other cable brands

+ lifetime warranty
+ warranty where it can be returned ANYWHERE monster cables are sold, unlike if you were to buy a fulltone cable (which some say are superior to monster), you have to send them back all the way to california, and wast $10+ on shipping.
+last forever. i bought my first monster cable 8 years ago and it is still working fine. i had to bring one back on warranty, and i waled into Sam Ash with it, and less than five minutes later walked out with a brand new one.
+the are very low resistance and low noise (most other good cables are very similar, but i like the monster more than the moogami gold i own).
- you can never find them less than what they sell for. it is very standardized and the only way you can get them discounted is if you coerce M123 into ignoring their ban on monster discounts (i bought most of mine one time when they took 20% of my whole order, total was over $3,000, i doubt they thought that it was going to be a big order...lol)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Make a TB looper for ~$15. You could mod it for TB, but it would be easier to use a looper because it uses optical switching rather than a footswitch, and a looper is very simple to make anyway.
Quote by Funk Monk
F***, Really?

Is there a way I can do a true bypass mod to it? Or would it be easier to invest in a true bypass wah? I would really like it if this wah had a true bypass.

no it is true bypass. ive had it open before you can look for yourself. try plugging in your cables backwards, youll still get sound untill you press down on the wah. when you do, itll just mute. true bypass. idk what the guy who said it wasnt is smoking.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Linqua5150
no it is true bypass. ive had it open before you can look for yourself. try plugging in your cables backwards, youll still get sound untill you press down on the wah. when you do, itll just mute. true bypass. idk what the guy who said it wasnt is smoking.

Signal flowing when you plug in the cables backwards doesn't mean its true bypass. Its not.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am going to most likely get flamed for this, but every cable i own is Monster (Rock for instrument and prolink for speaker). the moster rock DO color your tone a little bit, AS THEY ARE DESIGNED TO. Its hardly noticable unless you are A/Bing. I personally happen to love the mild coloration.

here are the pros of monsters in comparable to most other cable brands

+ lifetime warranty
+ warranty where it can be returned ANYWHERE monster cables are sold, unlike if you were to buy a fulltone cable (which some say are superior to monster), you have to send them back all the way to california, and wast $10+ on shipping.
+last forever. i bought my first monster cable 8 years ago and it is still working fine. i had to bring one back on warranty, and i waled into Sam Ash with it, and less than five minutes later walked out with a brand new one.
+the are very low resistance and low noise (most other good cables are very similar, but i like the monster more than the moogami gold i own).
- you can never find them less than what they sell for. it is very standardized and the only way you can get them discounted is if you coerce M123 into ignoring their ban on monster discounts (i bought most of mine one time when they took 20% of my whole order, total was over $3,000, i doubt they thought that it was going to be a big order...lol)

Yeah I really liked a monster cable I once tried, but when I tried it I was pretty new to tone and didn't pick up and coloration in the tone. Could you explain what you feel it does to the tone, be it even in a positive way.

I'm aware of the coloration the jazz cables by monster do, and it is very pleasant if you ask me.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Linqua5150

School me oh wise one. You clearly know more about electronics than any other person in this thread.

Personally, I don't really like Monsters. The highs are rolled off a bit too much and the low end feels weak. The tone is changed by capacitance, not resistance as one poster said. Resistance is completely negligible in instrument cables.

And I got the few I used to have on sale at GC for $20 a piece. I dunno if they changed their discount policy.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 16, 2010,
Quote by mmolteratx
School me oh wise one. You clearly know more about electronics than any other person in this thread.

Personally, I don't really like Monsters. The highs are rolled off a bit too much and the low end feels weak. The tone is changed by capacitance, not resistance as one poster said. Resistance is completely negligible in instrument cables.

And I got the few I used to have on sale at GC for $20 a piece. I dunno if they changed their discount policy.

imo its more a little bit of presence that gets taken off. i personally dont find the low end weak, but thats just me.

to be completely honest, even if I found the slight tonal nuances negative, i would still get it, just so i know it can be replaced by just getting in the car and not paying for postage.

if you were referring to me, i never said that the tone was resistance in my post.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Sep 16, 2010,
Oops. I just remembered someone saying resistance and thought it was referring to tone change as that's a common misconception.

But yea, resistance can be ignored for guitar cables. It's so small that the voltage drop won't exist for all practical lengths for any cable. If a company mentions resistance, I tend to ignore anything they say from then on. Monster is notorious for bringing up things that don't matter to sell cables.

I just make my own using Mogami and Switchcraft/Neutrik ends. Cheap as fack and if something goes wrong it's an easy fix.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx

Well what do you personally recommend in comparison to these monsters?
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Funk Monk
Well what do you personally recommend in comparison to these monsters?

I'm a fan of Mogami on the cheap. Evidence for more money. You can buy both in bulk and save an ass load of money if you can solder though. $15 for a 10ft Mogami. Add $.81 per ft. Then the 'lower grade' Evidence is $25 for a 10ft. Add $2 per ft. The 'higher grade' Evidence is $55 for a 10ft, add $5 per ft.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Hmmm, Interesting.

I've only owned monter once, but I used it for bass so I really liked it.

Can't say much of either I just know I want to start going with the best quality I can go for that won't kill my wallet. I feel that you need quality for your cables because it's what your relying on to carry your tone.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud