Wondering which is more worth the money. I know the EC-1000 is $729.99~$799.99 and that the EC-401 is $649.99~$719.99 (USD). Is the EC-1000 worth the extra ~$100? The only difference I see is finish selection, hardware and inlays. Or is EC-401 pretty much identical? Any thoughts?
They're pretty much the same guitar except the 1000's cosmetics are way over the top in my opinion, go for the EC-401
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
They are generally pretty close. Is it worth the extra $100? Well I can't say for certain because I haven't played the new ec-401 which is now made in Indonesia; however, from what i've gathered from hearing about the guitar and other 400 level series being produced this year is that they are still roughly the same quality as they were a few years ago when they were made in Korea although some I've seen say that the quality has dropped slightly.

That being said the 401 is still a great guitar for the money from what I've seen; however, the 1000 has slightly better specs and better quality (probably better wood as well). If you can afford the extra $100 then I say go the 1000 route unless you like the color/look of the 401 models better.
Quote by wolfeman85
They're pretty much the same guitar except the 1000's cosmetics are way over the top in my opinion, go for the EC-401

There are some ec-1000 models that are not as 'over-the-top' such as the MGO, SSB, and VB colors:

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe_ec.html

EDIT:

You could also look into the new Gus G 600-EC model which has SD Blackouts and a maple neck unlike most of the standard EC models available. After seeing the guitar in the Ozzy video (life wont wait) i'm totally GASing for it!
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Sep 15, 2010,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Basically the EC-1000 has see-thru finishes and has abalone.

not all ec-1000 series have abalone.
Well I have absolutely no money right now, and I'm looking for a job, so I guess it depends on how fast and easily I can earn the extra 100 for the EC-1000. thanks guys.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
not all ec-1000 series have abalone.

Okay, so the Vintage Black and the limited run Silver Sunburst don't. Hence why I said basically...

TS; the overall better choice is the ec-1000. It's a better value and a higher quality guitar. I believe the 401 and 1000 are made in different factories, Flibble would be able to confirm...
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Okay, so the Vintage Black and the limited run Silver Sunburst don't. Hence why I said basically...

TS; the overall better choice is the ec-1000. It's a better value and a higher quality guitar. I believe the 401 and 1000 are made in different factories, Flibble would be able to confirm...

As well as the MGO should be added to the list. It's slightly deceptive to say 'basically' because out of the main 1000's currently in production 3 of 7 don't have abalone which is almost half without abalone. If you count the T (full thickness) models then its 4 out of 9 without abalone.
I have the EC-1000 Deluxe Vintage Black and overall I love how it looks and sounds. Really solid tone helped by the EMG 81/60 pickups, has a nice weight (not too heavy) and feels smooth to play.

Really comes down to what you like and your preference, try to see if you can play both, if not then maybe listen to some of the bands playing them (on ESP's website they give you a handful of artists that use that guitar).
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
As well as the MGO should be added to the list. It's slightly deceptive to say 'basically' because out of the main 1000's currently in production 3 of 7 don't have abalone which is almost half without abalone. If you count the T (full thickness) models then its 4 out of 9 without abalone.

Hmm, well to get technical, there were actually 11 models in production;

The 3 without abalone, but to compensate have ebony fingboards:
MGO (no longer in production), Silver sunburst (available, but I don't think is in production) and Vintage Black. Not to mention the MGO and Silver sunburst came long after the original release.

There were 4 with flamed maple tops:
Blue, Purple, Black (has an FR) Amber Sunburst (still in production)

There were 2 with quilted maple tops:
Red and Green (no longer in production, was a limited run, came after the original release)

There were 2 solid tops:
Black and White (no longer in production)

Out of those, there's 3 out of 11 without abalone. And out of the ones still in production, there's 2 out of 6 without abalone.

Basically remains true. I haven't walked into a guitar store and found a Silver Sunburst or an MGO. Not even at GC, only available by special order, when they were in production. For EC-1000's, all I've hanging on a wall is Black Cherry, Amber Sunburst, See-Thru Black w/ FR, See-Thru Green and Vintage Black.

You're going to have a hard time finding the Silver Sunburst or MGO, unless you're buying online.

But I'll correct myself for the rest of you, between the 401 and the 1000, the biggest difference is the binding. For some models, it's the ebony fingerboard.

401:

1000:

401 in See-Thru Black:

1000 w/FR:

1000 in VB:
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Sep 16, 2010,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Hmm, well to get technical, there were actually 11 models in production;

The 3 without abalone, but to compensate have ebony fingboards:
MGO (no longer in production), Silver sunburst (available, but I don't think is in production) and Vintage Black. Not to mention the MGO and Silver sunburst came long after the original release.

There were 4 with flamed maple tops:
Blue, Purple, Black (has an FR) Amber Sunburst (still in production)

There were 2 with quilted maple tops:
Red and Green (no longer in production, was a limited run, came after the original release)

There were 2 solid tops:
Black and White (no longer in production)

Out of those, there's 3 out of 11 without abalone. And out of the ones still in production, there's 2 out of 6 without abalone.

Basically remains true. I haven't walked into a guitar store and found a Silver Sunburst or an MGO. Not even at GC, only available by special order, when they were in production. For EC-1000's, all I've hanging on a wall is Black Cherry, Amber Sunburst, See-Thru Black w/ FR, See-Thru Green and Vintage Black.

You're going to have a hard time finding the Silver Sunburst or MGO, unless you're buying online.

But I'll correct myself for the rest of you, between the 401 and the 1000, the biggest difference is the binding. For some models, it's the ebony fingerboard.

401:

1000:

401 in See-Thru Black:

1000 w/FR:

1000 in VB:

"Not to mention the MGO and Silver sunburst came long after the original release." -- what does this have to do with anything?

"But I'll correct myself for the rest of you, between the 401 and the 1000, the biggest difference is the binding. For some models, it's the ebony fingerboard." -- Another noticeable (and for some people a big difference) would be the tuners as well-- Grover vs. ESP Locking and perhaps the fact that the 401's are indonesian made while the 1000's are korean made which may play an important part on the wood quality and maybe even the quality of production.

My count was based on the ec-1000's only since that was what we were talking about in relation to the abalone so I have NO idea why you are including the 401's here (this has nothing to do with the statement in question regarding the 1000 series). Just because your local GC doesn't have any silver sunburst in stock doesn't mean that it is representative of all other music stores in north america. Not only have I seen the silver in stores but a number of online stores i've been to have them available.

Moreover, my count was based on the current ESP/LTD website because it would be assumed that the TS, if purchasing a 1000 model, would be getting one at this time and because the 11 I listed are from this year it is likely that all would be able to be purchased around this time. Does this guarantee that the TS could pick up an MGO? No; however, just because an MGO may no longer be in production doesn't mean there aren't a bunch of MGO's stocked across the continent available for purchase.

Please note that it seems this discussion has run its course and isn't really helping the TS at all and I will most likely not be doing any follow-up.