Hi, I'm considering building a guitar sometime in the spring (I know it's kinda far away, but I like to plan ahead).

Anyways, a lot of the parts will be bought online, except the body, I will be cutting that myself. Is 200 dollars average for a neck? I'm getting it from Warmoth, and it's a left handed Mustang style neck (I like 24" scale).

My main questions are cutting and painting.

What kind of bits should I get for the Router I own? And I'm using a Jigsaw to cut the wood/pickguard/just about everything that needs to be cut.

And how long does it take to paint/finish? I will be using 2 piece alder, if that helps. And probably a white-ish coloured paint.

Thanks for any help, sorry if this post is jumbled, it's 1040 at night and I'm tired.

If it'll help, I can post a list of the parts that I plan on getting, and scan/post my drawing design for the body.
I work with a router quite a bit it work, im usually cutting circles, that type has a kind of circular blade, this gives a cut with sharp edges. so you might want a circular type blade for the basic shape. we also have bits that are used to rounds off the edges which i would assume you would want to do before finally sanding. anyways this probably isnt a whole lot of information but i just wanted to say there are alot of options out there. once you know what you want to do i suggest maybe looking up the bits on a website or going to a small hardware store and explaining to them what your trying to do and what type of bits you would need. homes depot or lowes might not be so helpful, but a small local place can really shed some light. anyways good luck my friend, sounds like an awesome project and i hoe it turns out well..
template and profile bearing guided bits. if you have still yet to buy a router. go for one with 1/4" & 1/2 collets.
the 1/2" bits are longer. more suitable for bodies,
1/4" suited for fingerboards, headstocks, truss rod channels, pickup/control cavities & rounding edges

painting can take a few days to finish from bare wood, curing time of clear can vary, depending on what type you use, acrylic,cellulose,melamine ect

i have read (martin kotch, building electirc guitars) that once you get a clear coat on. wherever you store the body till cure. when you no longer smell any lacquer fumes. it is cured and ready to buff n polish
yes you can use a router to cut out the body from the blank. Just don't try to hog it all out at once. Use a template with a template bit and make several/lots of passes, lowering the bit a little each time. If you try to take off too much wood at one time, you will get kickback and since the bit would be trapped between wood on three sides, this could get ugly fast (mess up your blank or blood everywhere).

You may want to cut out the shape outside of the line and then use the router to trim to the exact shape.
ok, so I should just skip the jigsaw alltogether? It'll (hopefully) make things easier, but I'm really just going off a guide from instructables.com, and that only said to use a jigsaw for cutting the body, and a router for pickup/electric cavities
Quote by Green_Ghoul
ok, so I should just skip the jigsaw alltogether? It'll (hopefully) make things easier, but I'm really just going off a guide from instructables.com, and that only said to use a jigsaw for cutting the body, and a router for pickup/electric cavities

I used a handsaw and a rasp, and it worked fine. Takes longer, but it feels really good to be able to say you carved it by hand. Not using a jigsaw or router or some other fancy power tool.
You can just use a jigsaw though. The reason some people use a router is that it is used with a template, so the body will be the exact shape as the template, which makes things easy. I made my strat to the shape that felt good for me, it wasnt an exact strat shape. So yeah, anything will do for carving the body. Either way, you dont want to skip the jigsaw completely, if you do use it cut out the rough shape with a jigsaw leaving a little excess, then go over with a router.
ok, i'll try the jigsaw first, and then a router...but how do I make a template? all I have is a drawing of the body design that I made on a sheet of 8"x11" printer paper.