I'm in the market for some new Rock-A-Billy to add to my collection, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm pretty new to the Rock-a-Billy scene, so even the obvious bands would help me out.

Thanks,
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
the stray cats
plmokn12 wrote:
Yes! You deserve a high five in the spirit of Jim Henson.

Gretsch G5129
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Yamaha FG-336SB
One guy I'm a huge huge fan of is a guy named Webb Wilder.Hoodoo Witch
Hittin' Where it Hurts
Jumpin' Jack Flash (Cover)
Baby Please Don't Go (Cover)
Changin' Colors

There's also Southern Culture on the Skids. They have an extremely similar sound to wilder, but they are probably much more famous.

You also have the godfather of rockabilly, Hassil "The Haze" Adkins
(I'll cut your head off so you can't eat) "No More Hotdogs"
No one was singing about cuttin' peoples heads off in the 50s, and thats more punk-rock then... anything!

Here's a trailer for what looks like an amazing documentary about him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo2gyABxkjM

Also, These guys are more rock then billy, but you gotta check out Little Feat
Fat Man in the Bathtub (which is, incidentally, one of the best names for a song ever)
Cold, Cold, Cold
On Your Way Down (performed by Gvt Mule (Widespread Panic also covers this one)
They're albums are equally good, RIP Lowell George (the singer)

Just to throw out a list of other guys related:
Bonnie Raitt
John Hiatt (look up, "Feels like Rain")
Ry Cooder (Check out Boomers Story)
North Mississippi (Check out "Mean Ol' Wind Died Down")
The Creepshow
OAKLAND A's - 9 TIME CHAMPS!!

DUKE BLUE DEVILS - 4 TIME CHAMPS & 19 TIME ACC CHAMPS!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS - 4 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - 3 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

SAN JOSE SHARKS - NONE LOL!!
@ nmitchell076

I wouldn't, at all, consider Little Feat, Gov't Mule, Widespread Panic, Bonnie Raitt, or the North Mississippi (Allstars I assume) to be Rockabilly. I like all of those artists, and I do recommend them to people. I've seen all of them in concert, except Bonnie. I've also see John Hiatt, what he does is more Country Rock than Rockabilly. As for Webb Wilder, I'm only familiar with his Hybrid Vigor album, but I don't really consider that to be Rockabilly either.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by Jazz Funeral
@ nmitchell076

I wouldn't, at all, consider Little Feat, Gov't Mule, Widespread Panic, Bonnie Raitt, or the North Mississippi (Allstars I assume) to be Rockabilly. I like all of those artists, and I do recommend them to people. I've seen all of them in concert, except Bonnie. I've also see John Hiatt, what he does is more Country Rock than Rockabilly. As for Webb Wilder, I'm only familiar with his Hybrid Vigor album, but I don't really consider that to be Rockabilly either.

True, I guess my main reason for doing so was we have a huge movement in my town for "roots music" with festivals that include everything from rockabilly to bluegrass, blues, and roots-rock. I'm usually pretty broad when I use the term rockabilly, since where I live, the term is used to apply to basically all Americana rock music.

And Webb has gotten more of an Elvis-influenced sound in many of his other records that to me sounds like Rockabilly in the stricter sense. Hybrid Vigor was kinda his more psychedelic album, but he really varies depending on what album of him you have.
Last edited by nmitchell076 at Sep 16, 2010,
^It's all good man. I was just putting the proverbial boot down on the neck of misinformation.

As for Webb Wilder, I've also heard his It Came From Nashville album. Only once though, and I wasn't really impressed. In fact, I hardly remember what it sounded like. Gotta say though, aside from talking to my Dad, this is the first I've seen of anybody else even knowing who Webb is.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by Jazz Funeral
^It's all good man. I was just putting the proverbial boot down on the neck of misinformation.

As for Webb Wilder, I've also heard his It Came From Nashville album. Only once though, and I wasn't really impressed. In fact, I hardly remember what it sounded like. Gotta say though, aside from talking to my Dad, this is the first I've seen of anybody else even knowing who Webb is.

lol yea, he plays in my area alot, and I gotta say, his studio albums don't do him justice. He's much better live.

And yea, ICFN is kinda corny, but then again, Webb is a corny dude (in a good way, imo), but ICFN was his first release, and I think we can toss that one up to immaturity (though there are a couple on that one I still put in and listen to, but your right, certainly the album as a whole isn't impressive)

His newest release, "More Like Me" just came out about a year ago. And its got a real nice sound to it. Its much more laid-back and sort of soulful in Webb's strange way of doing it. Much of it is covers, and you still find some corny lyrics every now and then (but, though corny, they are heartfelt, which is more then alot of bands can say. Besides, no one ever claimed old webb was a master of lyrics), but the sound is pretty damn good, in my opinion.
Thanks for the responses, keep 'em coming.

So far I've been checking out;

The Creepshow
Three Bad Jacks
The Horror Pops
Nick Curran
Brian Setzer/Stray Cats
The Hangmen

Thanks again everyone.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss