Ok, so my Model 2's been acting up, now it has a very clean installation of an EMG 89 and its respective coil splitter, however switching between single coil mode and full humbucker mode has been causing a HUGE volume drop every time I switch. I got from full volume on full humbucker mode to about 30-35% in single coil mode. I wanna know if this is something thats natural for the 89 to do or if I have an electrical or battery problem, can anybody help me out?
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
I believe it is beacuse single coils have a lower output so technically speaking it should be around 50% quieter. Not entirely sure if this is the problem but just a direction so to say to point you in
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
Quote by Caramello Ruell
I believe it is beacuse single coils have a lower output so technically speaking it should be around 50% quieter. Not entirely sure if this is the problem but just a direction so to say to point you in

I found with a bit of research that a lot of people that have an 89 has this issue, so apparently its just how they were made...but I'm still not certain.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
I know humbuckers are usually louder because they generate more noise but if you're have a severe drop in sound between single-coil and the humbuckers you might want to replace the single coil or at least bring it in to a shop to get it checked out.
It's how it is supposed to be. On average, humbuckers have twice the output of single coils. Of course that varies depending on exactly which models of humbucker and single coil you're talking about, but as a general rule humbuckers are almost always going to be significantly more powerufl than single coils.

Now, the 89 could technically be made to have the same output in both modes, but it's not because people would then complain. Most people who use coil splits specifically want there to be a drop in output; switching from humbucker to single coil with no difference in output would pretty much just be the same as rolling the bass down and the treble up on your amp. You would also have the problem of deciding which wya to go; woudl you lower the humbucker's output to match the single coil mode or would you increase the single coil to match the humbucker? By letting the 89 act like a passive humbucker/single split, not everyone will be happy with it but at least it acts how everyone expects it to act.

tl;dr version: it's perfectly normal. When you split a humbucker you're literally taking away half of it, hence half the output.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.