ok i v been practiceing the last two years and i can do all the stuff you would expect
accept shred
i never took lessons or i would probly know this but
should i use my my whole are to pick seems like a waist should i use more of my wrist
? idk what should i do
You should aim to make the movement as much wrist action as possible.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You should aim to make the movement as much wrist action as possible.

You actually want to use your arm instead of your wrist to pick. Using your wrist can lead to problems later on.

One way to get faster is to learn sweep picking, that improved my speed a lot. Other than that, practicing with the metronome, and then increasing the speed over time will also help you get faster.
Quote by Hyjek
You actually want to use your arm instead of your wrist to pick. Using your wrist can lead to problems later on.

Quote by rickyj
you should be moving your forearm, not your wrist.

Both of you are flying in the face of the general wisdom/opinion of just about everyone else on this forum and in the world at large.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by rockjer
ok i v been practiceing the last two years and i can do all the stuff you would expect
accept shred
i never took lessons or i would probly know this but
should i use my my whole are to pick seems like a waist should i use more of my wrist
? idk what should i do

You should pick from the Wrist, and try to use little movements if possible.
start slow and build up, make sure each stroke is the same volume as the last.
keep things consistant

good luck!

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Both of you are flying in the face of the general wisdom/opinion of just about everyone else on this forum and in the world at large.

General wisdom? Just about every guitar player I know use their forearms to pick and not their wrists.
Quote by Hyjek
General wisdom? Just about every guitar player I know use their forearms to pick and not their wrists.

Forearm isnt good, its hard to control, plus your not totally relaxed when you play with the forearm

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
I find a mix of both forearm and wrist is best, like your playing a violin. Bouncy type of strokes, but that's just me.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Hyjek

Very few guitar players use purely forearm movement. For really fast pickers, I can only think of Rusty Cooley, but he uses predominantly wrist and some elbow .
Quote by Hyjek

then you know a lot of guitarists with shitty technique
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by rickyj
you should be moving your forearm, not your wrist.

I really couldnt disagree with this more. There are no rules, and lots of well known players pick from the forearm. But I am a diehard believer that although its possible to make this work it is by far not the best or most efficient way to do things. You could learn to play with your feet if you put the time in, but thats not necessarily the best strategy either. I just uploaded several free videos on my instructional YouTube page linked below on this very subject. Check em out and if you have any questions let me know. Bottom line though is the forearm is way more inefficient, way less controllable, way more prone to make you tense up.... the list goes on and on. If you watch my videos I pick 100% from the wrist.
This is a touchy subject. Regardless of "what is wrong" or "what is efficient", it all comes down to what is comfortable to you. There is no rule saying you HAVE to pick a certain way. I have seen very fast pickers use every single type of picking action you can think of.

My advice to you: try different types of picking styles. Find the one that feels the most comfortable and allows you to play while holding the pick lightly (a death grip on the pick causes some very uncomfortable finger fatigue).

Play simple scale patterns slowly and pay attention to what it feels like to pick each note. It should not feel like you are lifting weights or something, it should feel effortless (to an extent) like you are just nudging the strings ever so gently. Once you find a technique that feels comfortable adapt it to songs from your favorite artists or whatever you like to play.
You should be picking using the wrist. The elbow will be involved when changing strings so that you can maintain a good wrist angle across all the strings and so that you don't have to change picking technique from string to string. Essentially, the wrist picks the string and the elbow moves the hand over whichever string it needs to be over.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Considering that bloke was picking with his waist, these two gave quite good advice (sorry couldn't resist)

To original poster - pick with your wrist, that's it move your wrist up and down, move your arm only when you move from string to string (do what Aleksi said)
Last edited by mdeeRocks at Sep 16, 2010,
Quote by Hyjek

I'd move to another town if I were you.
Quote by Hyjek

I'd like to see a list.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
In a muscular sense, it makes much much more sense to use the wrist. Look at some of the fastest drummers. They use the smallest muscles they can (Wrist and palm). Much more efficient than using the whole arm. The same concept applies in a guitar sense.
superman is killing himself tonight
IMO pick from the wrist but use your forearm movement when you change strings. This keeps your pick at the same angle when you change strings. If you play from the wrist as well you can make way more accurate movements. If you start feeling discomfort in your wrists then you are too tense and are going too fast. Play slower until it feels easier and then speed up. You just need to be patient but its worth it. Good luck!
My suggestion is to combine wrist + index/thumb movement. Is very efficient is practiced right.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I'd like to see a list.

I don't know of any famous people but every almost every guitarist I know use their forearm instead of the wrist, and they're all pretty damn good guitarists. Even the teachers I have taken lessons with use their forearm.

I used to play a fair amount of classical guitar too, and the technique for the right hand requires that the wrist be straight, and not bent. It should be not different for electric guitar.

I think one of the side effects of a bent wrist is carpal tunnel, but I could be wrong.
Quote by Hyjek
I don't know of any famous people but every almost every guitarist I know use their forearm instead of the wrist, and they're all pretty damn good guitarists. Even the teachers I have taken lessons with use their forearm.

I used to play a fair amount of classical guitar too, and the technique for the right hand requires that the wrist be straight, and not bent. It should be not different for electric guitar.

I think one of the side effects of a bent wrist is carpal tunnel, but I could be wrong.

Classical guitar... as in picking with your fingers and not with a pick. How exactly is that related to standard electric guitar playing?

Anyway, carpal tunnel becomes a risk if you have your wrist bent sharply at the joint, if you're relaxed and play from the wrist the biggest factor is genetic predisposition to the syndrome.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Classical guitar... as in picking with your fingers and not with a pick. How exactly is that related to standard electric guitar playing?

How is it not? The only difference is instead of using your fingers you're using a pick. The position of your arm should be the same.
Quote by Hyjek
How is it not? The only difference is instead of using your fingers you're using a pick. The position of your arm should be the same.

In order to pick in the classical style you simply move your fingers, in the more standard rock style you're moving a pick, if you can't see the difference I think you should take a long hard look at what you're doing.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Hyjek

the use of the pick enables you to play things much much faster than with just your fingers. Try sweeping at like 160bpm in classical position, I bet you a dollar you can't
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
In order to pick in the classical style you simply move your fingers, in the more standard rock style you're moving a pick, if you can't see the difference I think you should take a long hard look at what you're doing.

Isn't that what I just said?

Quote by megano28
the use of the pick enables you to play things much much faster than with just your fingers. Try sweeping at like 160bpm in classical position, I bet you a dollar you can't

I agree, but we're talking about picking with your wrist or forearm. The way you pluck the strings is different in that in classical it's your fingers and electric it's a pick. But your wrist should still be straight in both cases, and since the wrist must be straight, it is the forearm that should be used to pick.
Last edited by Hyjek at Sep 16, 2010,
Quote by Hyjek
Isn't that what I just said?

And yet you still don't understand. What reasoning exactly do you have for "the wrist must be straight"? Bearing in mind that if you pick from the wrist with your wrist at a relatively neutral angle and with relaxed technique there is no real risk of CTS or at least no elevated risk from your natural predisposition towards it.

Quote by megano28

Technically no. Fingerstyle sweeping is perfectly possible, just ask the bassist from Adagio.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Hyjek

It is completely different because you don't pluck the same way you do with the fingers. If anything similar to the classical position would be the forearm position but not the wrist.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Last edited by El Cumanés at Sep 16, 2010,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
And yet you still don't understand. What reasoning exactly do you have for "the wrist must be straight"? Bearing in mind that if you pick from the wrist with your wrist at a relatively neutral angle and with relaxed technique there is no real risk of CTS or at least no elevated risk from your natural predisposition towards it.

I probably shouldn't have said "MUST" because there is no written rule that bars either technique. Back to the point of the thread, which is about faster picking, is that my speed and picking in general improved a lot after I started picking with my forearm and not my wrist. I have been taught that by several different guitarists, and I have seen lots of other guitarists do the same, more of them with forearm than wrist.

In the end, we're all going to use whatever we find easiest or most effective. For me, using my forearm has been much more beneficial.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Technically no. Fingerstyle sweeping is perfectly possible, just ask the bassist from Adagio.

on a bass I'd agree because the strings are further apart, on a guitar it is much,much harder, I have only seen one guy do it and he didn't do it with him forearm
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Quote by megano28
on a bass I'd agree because the strings are further apart, on a guitar it is much,much harder, I have only seen one guy do it and he didn't do it with him forearm

Why does the strings being further apart make any difference?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Why does the strings being further apart make any difference?

alright this isn't going anywhere; show me 2 finger sweeping guitarists(not bassists) and I will retract any argument against it.

edit: I'll help you out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ9PRzIyzFA
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Last edited by megano28 at Sep 16, 2010,
Quote by Hyjek
I agree, but we're talking about picking with your wrist or forearm. The way you pluck the strings is different in that in classical it's your fingers and electric it's a pick. But your wrist should still be straight in both cases, and since the wrist must be straight, it is the forearm that should be used to pick.

I understand why you'd think like that, but it's just not the case. If you move your wrist as far as you can in each direction (as though picking from the wrist in an exaggerated fashion) you will find your "range of motion", when picking from the wrist: you stay around the centre of that range of motion so as not to cause any harm to the wrist. Admittedly, if your wrist is placed at the edges of it's range of motion, tension builds quickly and harm will result, so you simply don't do that.
The wrist is capable of making smaller and more precise motions whilst remaining (in general) more relaxed than the forearm; as a larger muscle with a longer "pivot" (for want of a better word) the forearm is ill-suited to picking.

Please note, I'm talking about picking on an electric guitar here; there may be certain styles that involve picking using the forearm (I believe flamenco is one of them, but I wouldn't swear to it).
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
When picking fast you want to use your wrist. Your wrist allows you to have the most control of your picking and allows you to make small percise movements. Accuracy and control are the key to speed. Also make sure you RELAX when you build up speed. Keep your arm/wrist relaxed as much as possible and keep a light but good grip on the pick. Use a metronome to build your speed an only move when you can play the passage cleanly and relaxed. You should pick up JP's Rock Discipline and/or Paul Gilberts Intense Rock I&II. Hope that helps man!
I use all 3: fingers, wrist, arm.

arm only for full chords, and sometimes for show like windmills and shit live

wrist most of the time powerchords and sweeping

solos: just the fingers holding the pick. just using the fingers keeps the picking motion really tight for 00ber fast licks

as a general rule, when i see a person using their forearm to pick, I consider them a n00b guitarist, exempting showmanship of course.
Last edited by satanicgurrl at Sep 18, 2010,
to rockjer - just try for yourself.
Without a guitar, hold out your pick arm and pretend to pick fast using your arm and keeping your wrist locked. If your average human, you should be able to literally feel the tricep and shoulder of your pick arm become tight / tense because your body needs those muscles to sustain that motion. (To be sure, use your free hand to touch the upper arm/shoulder of your pick arm, as you make the motion)

Now do the same thing only using wrist motion. Does it feel different?

Your problem was that you can't play fast and you wondering if picking from the arm or wrist will make a difference. Majority of people tell you picking from the wrist is the way to go.

So? You got your responses now it's up to you. Go spend some quality testing time, then you'll know.
Quote by megano28

If we're thinking of the same and only "classical position" as I was taught by my teacher, I find it to be comfier and therefore, faster.