I just want to be able to record guitar and maybe vocals right onto my computer. Looking to spend under $200?
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
I like the PreSonus interface (use the FireStudio Mobile) and they have several options. M-Audio is also good and there are cheaper USB interfaces to be had for well under your price range. Do some internet searches and talk to your local gear store pros. Good luck!

P.S. if you don't have software to record, keep in mind which products come bundled with it...PreSonus for instance comes with their StudioOne recording s/w. Others may come with lite versions of Cakewalk Sonar or ProTools.
Last edited by dkunick at Sep 16, 2010,
Well the cheapest way to do it well is to use Linux (something like Ubuntu Studio) - it's totally free and there is a plethora of great recording apps available in their repositories, all free as well.
It does mean learning how to drive Linux however and getting the sound server working properly is one of the trickier things to get working properly. It is worth the effort, there are several professional studios using Linux with apps like Ardour and Muse.
Join the free software revolution!!! Screw the coporations.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 16, 2010,
you should really increase your budget if you want alittle more than barely decent results. for guitars you can get a line 6 ux1 and podfarm or something like the stealthplug under 200.
Whaaaat!!!!!!
You should post this in the Recordings forum. Having said that I would recommend the followinf

M-Audio Fast Track MkII for $119 new.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=fast+track

Cakewalk Music Creator 5 $35 downloaded from their site.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/MusicCreator/

M-Audio has good preamps and they always keep their drivers up to date. I have the M-Audio Fast Track Pro and its great. I've had for about 5 years, and it travels with me very frequently. The above recommendations should leave you some wiggle room for a mic, possibly a used sm57 or cheaper version of that mic, and cables.

The higher your budget the better stuff you can get though.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic