I want a good amp under $1000, that can be used for bass and guitar. Tube/solid state don't matter as long as it sounds good. Right now I am playing bass through a fender bxr 200c combo, and guitar through a fender 212R (borrowed). I know a fender bassman is a good one, but are there any others? I tend to play heavier stuff, but also like the garage rock and poppy stuff
Quote by askrere
I want a good amp under $1000, that can be used for bass and guitar. Tube/solid state don't matter as long as it sounds good. Right now I am playing bass through a fender bxr 200c combo, and guitar through a fender 212R (borrowed). I know a fender bassman is a good one, but are there any others? I tend to play heavier stuff, but also like the garage rock and poppy stuff

Fender bassman '59 reissue used

or anything fro mesa boogie bass amp wise with a pedal for any situations where you need gain.

Basically if you follow the formula good quality bass amp with good quality distortion or OD pedal you can't lose.

Guitar amp wont work for bass.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666

Guitar amp wont work for bass.

wat?

How much would an Orange Thunderverb cost?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Slanderous666
Fender bassman '59 reissue used

This is what immediately sprung to mind for me as well. I used to play through my guitarists before he sold it. Loverly sound for both bass and guitar.
Quote by gilly_90
wat?

Guitar amps would cut off some of your low end, and without a bass cab you'd eventually destroy your speakers. Guitar speakers aren't designed to handle the lower frequencies.

How much would an Orange Thunderverb cost?

Without looking, I'm going to say a lot more than $1000. [EDIT: 50W head sells new for about $2300, well outside TS's budget, and I doubt even used you'd find one with a cab for the right price.]

EDIT: To be more actually helpful, I'll also recommend the Bassman reissue.
Quote by MightyAl
Back in my day, the teacher had to come to my tribe's village and inspect my cave-paintings in person.
For some reason, he thought the bison I painted was his mother, and gave me an F.

It wasn't my fault they look so similar.
Last edited by TheBadPlace at Sep 16, 2010,
yea bassman seems the best idea, and I know a guitar amp cant handle a basses low end response. I just play both and thought it more economical to have a amp that can handle both
I myself use a 50 watt laney guitar head,sounds great for both.
You can bassically take two routes,the traditional sounding bass head with a big fat distortion in front of it,or that less traditional,overdriven tubey bass sound with a guitar head.
So long as its a bass cab,you can pretty much use anything.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.