OK so i want to start recording some stuff and I need some help. I keep reading that the sm57 is the best mic? I already have a ton of pedals so i dont think i would need/want one of those line 6 things. So would i just mic the amp and plug the mic straight into my laptop? I have garageband already, but would anyone can recommend something else (preferably free)?Thanks alot, you guys are always helpfull
If you get the sm57 youre going to need an audio interface. The XLR cable from the mic wont go straight into the computer. The sm57 would be a good mic to start with though.
Well what you need is a digital interface. That one that you listed sucks. Doesn't work very well in my experience. You could put plug your guitar into your digital in on your laptop, but the sound isn't that great IMO.

I've used an Mbox (kind of pricey but really great), and those are pretty good starting recording units; very straitforward. Also, it depends on your amp. If it's a nice amp, go for the Digital box. If not, then it'd be better to use your digital in.

The SM57 is a good universal mic, but in my experience when micing an amp, you need one SM57 and one large diaphragm condenser mic. You could adjust the distance between the mic and the amp and mix those two mics together in stereo. Makes a really great sound.
As already mentioned, you need an interface to connect your mic to your computer. Here are a couple of not so pricy ones:

Lexicon Alpha
M-Audio Fast Track MKII
Tascan US-100

Hope it helps
New track on soundcloud.com/ahlers or on my profile.
Feedback much appreciated.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Hi my name is Chen im 16 years old from Israel.
I love playing Guitar and writing if I have the time[...]

As of now I am banned because of racism against albinos
Quote by tortex182
I keep reading that the sm57 is the best mic?

you keep reading wrong. the sm57 is a very good mic, and i think it is one of the best to start out with (especially for a guitarist). but it is not the best mic. there is no such thing as the best mic. the sm57 sound great on guitar amps, works well for screaming/growling vocals and is very nice on a snare drum. but it isnt great for many other things, though it does work in a pinch for things like acoustic instruments or sung vocals. inexpensive, reliable, and is good for a decent number of things, but not the best.

anyway, with a good mic, you should get a decent interface. expect to spend around $100-150 for one that is worth buying.
Quote by jof1029
you keep reading wrong. the sm57 is a very good mic, and i think it is one of the best to start out with (especially for a guitarist). but it is not the best mic. there is no such thing as the best mic. the sm57 sound great on guitar amps, works well for screaming/growling vocals and is very nice on a snare drum. but it isnt great for many other things, though it does work in a pinch for things like acoustic instruments or sung vocals. inexpensive, reliable, and is good for a decent number of things, but not the best.

anyway, with a good mic, you should get a decent interface. expect to spend around $100-150 for one that is worth buying.

Awesome thanks. Yeah, thats what i meant is that it is best to start out with, I really only need it for guitar.

And thanks for the list of interfaces I will definitely check those out. Thanks Guys.

One more thing, is garageband a good program to start out with or is another free program that works better?

Oh and i found this http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure-SM57-X2U-SM57-MIC-WITH-XLR-TO-USB-PACKAGE-872909-i1447405.gc#customer-reviews is it recommended?
Last edited by tortex182 at Sep 16, 2010,
NO NO NO.You dont NEED an interface. Its just better to have one. Look here, if you get an sm57, get http://www.samash.com/p/MC10%20XLR%20Cable%2010%20Feet_-49971978 and http://www.fullcompass.com/product/245538.html....
Plug that into the microphone slot on your computer and you are good to go if you plan on using only 1 mic.
i think UG should have a sub forum to the gear ads... for like recording equipment. not just guitars and amps and that stuff
Its almost crazy NOT to run an interface though, and you won't get enough gain out of the mic port on a laptop with just an SM57 hooked up....
Not to mention the latency you'll run into...

TS, Buy the Shure SM57 to start out with, you'll need to get an XLR mic cable along with it.
An audio interface is a MUST if ya ask me. M-Audio has the Fast Track MKII for right around $100 now and it connects via USB to the computer.