Hello, Pit.

I recently moved into my uni dorms (first year), and I learned that torrents were blocked on the campus. I basically killed my whole day back home watching shows and movies. In other words, torrents helped make my whole daily routine. Now that they're blocked, I'm really glad that I'm forced to do other things, like read and maybe learn an instrument.

I played guitar for about 6 months in the past before I quit, never got really good at it mainly because of my own laziness. But now I am forced to fill my free time with something and I'd like your advice on it. Should I learn to play the piano or the guitar? I love both, and would love to be able to play either, amateurly of course, nothing too serious, just to be able to play the songs/pieces that I like.

Now if I were to learn the piano, I'd have to first start learning it using a keyboard. I read that it was possible and that it wasn't really a big deal. If I find myself enjoying it a lot, I would certainly consider buying an actual piano. As for guitar, well, I already own an acoustic one, but the problem is that there's a policy in the dorms regarding loud noises, and since I have an acoustic guitar, that might be a problem, but I guess I could still play quietly.

Also, I quit guitar last time because I was convinced that my fingers had tips that were too fat for me to be able to get really good at it. Will this 'cause the same annoyance when learning to play the piano/keyboard?

I'd really appreciate some advice from you guys. Thanks in advance.

tl;dr Moved into dorms. Torrent downloading blocked. Nothing to do with free time. Should I learn piano or guitar? Got fat fingers. Other advice regarding filling up free time/adjusting to uni life is greatly appreciated.
Both.
They'll facilitate the learning on each other, compounding your musical knowledge and getting you that much further in the quest for world domination.
I learned piano first and then guitar, which made guitar hecka easier.
I'd say piano, it's a bit more versatile, and if you really do have fat fingers, that shouldn't matter so much, because the keys are fairly wide compared to some of the frets.
That said, play your guitar for funs if you get bored of piano or something.
UG and Sporcle are both fantastic time wasting devices.
Go outside and make some friends?
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Piano.

I've always wanted to learn it.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
I've got friends who had learned piano and when they picked up guitar it was really easy for them. I started out with the guitar, and I was able to start playing basic keyboard stuff pretty easily, so you can learn them both - they'll supplement each other.

Plus there are plenty of shreddy guitarists with fat fingers, so there shouldn't be much of a problem there, you just need to practice control. And I've got pretty skinny fingers but still end up pressing two keys as once on the keyboard, so I doubt that finger size plays a difference.
^My mother plays bass recorder. It's badass.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Learn piano first .I learned it before guitar, which is probably why guitar was so easy for me. And you'll get pianist's fingers
cat
Quote by guitarxo
Learn piano first .I learned it before guitar, which is probably why guitar was so easy for me. And you'll get pianist's fingers

Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Go outside and make some friends?

I agree, it doesn't work to play the piano/guitar to impress the lady folk if your always inside just playing and you haven't ever been outside to meet any of them.
If you already have either of these instruments, learn on that instrument.
If you have both (or none), think about which one you REALLY want to learn.

As said, learning either instrument will help you understand music theory, which is a big help for both instruments. And they train your fingers in pretty much the same way.

EDIT: Another thing to do with your spare time... Well, making friends and hanging out with them is a good start.
Don't expect your skill at any instrument to be an instant-friend-maker though. In fact, it might work against you. Particularly if you ramble on about that instrument.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Sep 16, 2010,