Alright guys,

We're moving into a house soon. There is a BT line installed (by the previous owners). We're wanting to get a broadband package like O2's 'All-Rounder' (doesn't include line rental, and not cable). We have no need for a home phone.

Do we need to pay line rental either to BT or O2 for this broadband to work? (Even though we don't want to make calls on the landline).

Thanks.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

dude, i've just been in a very similar situation, i'd reccommend Virgin, as we didn't want a phone either, so they just gave use a 10 mb broadband package, £20 a month, free for the first 3 months! and you wont be charged any line rental cos you dont have a phone!
Quote by Guitardude19
The only things I kill are wasps, flies, and slugs.

And I dont do it nicely either. I boiled a slug in highly saturated salt water and put a wasp in a microwave. I hate wasps so much.
Quote by marneus1
dude, i've just been in a very similar situation, i'd reccommend Virgin, as we didn't want a phone either, so they just gave use a 10 mb broadband package, £20 a month, free for the first 3 months! and you wont be charged any line rental cos you dont have a phone!

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-10mb.html

^ Are you talking about the one here on the right? Looks good- trouble is we get a good discount at O2 due to one of us already being a customer there.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Unfortunatly if you are going to use a BT line you have to have a BT telephone line contract for atleast 12 months and then after that you still have to have the line rental even if you don't use the phone. marneus1 is right as Virgin do standalone broadband but you may have to pay to have the Virgin media cable installed (if it's available in your area) and then you need to think very carefully about if you are going to be downloading torrents or anything slightly illegal as Virgin will report you if you do it
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
Quote by Volta_91
http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-10mb.html

^ Are you talking about the one here on the right? Looks good- trouble is we get a good discount at O2 due to one of us already being a customer there.

hmmm well it looks similar, but on the phone the guy said we got it free for the first 3 months. i'm sure if virgin offer a package without line rental, then O2 will do too. You're best bet is to talk to someone at O2 on the sales team. Just don't accept anything til you're sure!!!
Quote by Guitardude19

And I dont do it nicely either. I boiled a slug in highly saturated salt water and put a wasp in a microwave. I hate wasps so much.
Quote by freighttrain
Unfortunatly if you are going to use a BT line you have to have a BT telephone line contract for atleast 12 months and then after that you still have to have the line rental even if you don't use the phone. marneus1 is right as Virgin do standalone broadband but you may have to pay to have the Virgin media cable installed (if it's available in your area) and then you need to think very carefully about if you are going to be downloading torrents or anything slightly illegal as Virgin will report you if you do it

WHAT?
Quote by Guitardude19

Quote by marneus1
WHAT?

Ok, just to clarify- cable isn't available in our area.

We can pay our line rental with O2 by adding an extra £7.50/month onto the £12/month regular broadband. Probable easier than paying BT, right?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

What do you mean cable, like for TV?
Quote by Guitardude19

Quote by marneus1
What do you mean cable, like for TV?

Cable as in fibre optic cable or whatever. We have to get our internet through the phone line.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Quote by freighttrain
you need to think very carefully about if you are going to be downloading torrents or anything slightly illegal as Virgin will report you if you do it

Only if you're doing it a lot. I've downloaded plenty of stuff on a Virgin line and had no trouble.

If your internet is being provided from a phone line, you pay line rental. If it's fibre optic/cable, then you don't, but that option is only available in certain areas. Also, phone line internet speeds work differently to non-phone line options. You don't have a choice of 10 megs, 20 megs etc; if your internet is coming through a phone line then it's a fixed speed (mine is about 18 megs, for an example).
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Only if you're doing it a lot. I've downloaded plenty of stuff on a Virgin line and had no trouble.

If your internet is being provided from a phone line, you pay line rental. If it's fibre optic/cable, then you don't, but that option is only available in certain areas. Also, phone line internet speeds work differently to non-phone line options. You don't have a choice of 10 megs, 20 megs etc; if your internet is coming through a phone line then it's a fixed speed (mine is about 18 megs, for an example).

1) Yeah, same here.

2) Ok, thanks. So the best option if we are to stick with O2 is to pay our line rental through them too at the extra £7.50 or so a month?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Quote by Volta_91
1) Yeah, same here.

2) Ok, thanks. So the best option if we are to stick with O2 is to pay our line rental through them too at the extra £7.50 or so a month?

Just thought I'd add- I had O2 broadband last year in a house of 8 and, because I have an O2 phone contract, we paid £10 p/m with the first two months free on the fastest available service and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. I think we could have got the discount even with a sim free rolling contract so it might worth your while having a look at that.

Also, go through quidco.com to get an additional discount.
Quote by Volta_91
1) Yeah, same here.

It's up to you, but it makes more sense and it's more convenient, so you may as well.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Alright, thanks guys.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

I recommend checking if your telephone line is active or not first as if it isn't then you will have to pay BT line rental for the first 12 months as they technically own the telephone line still and it is their engineers who do the reconnection, if your line is only stopped then in theory O2 should be able to reconnect it and you can pay line rental to them straight off, so double check with O2 and if needs be BT
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
So I've been doing some calling round. BT say it's not active at the moment, but could be reconnected for free. The call center guy then tried to sign me up to the £11/month line rental... However, would O2 not be able to 'activate' it? (They only charge £7.50 for line rental), or would they not be able to?

Edit- Does the free reconnection mean that the line is only stopped, and O2 would be able to reconnect it too?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Last edited by Volta_91 at Sep 16, 2010,
o2 don't set up phone lines at all, i checked this about a week ago for my flat. they'll only switch you to pay line rental to them if you've already got BT to set up a line.

also, if you're not going to be downloading a lot, look at plusnet - they DO set up phone lines.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har