Hey.\, I have a Soldano Avenger that i bought recently and am currently running it through my Marshall MG250dfx speakers (marshall modded celestions). I was looking to buy a 412 cab that had celestion vintage 30's preinstalled. I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Marshall 1960B, Soldano and then any others that you have used and are relatively cheap (or cheap when bought used, <1000). Any suggestions are welcome regarding any cabs you use that do not have v30's. I play 80's rock/hair metal/metal.
Gear:
Gibson '61 SG (57 Classics)
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)
Gibson '08 Explorer (500T)
Soldano Avenger 100
No Name 4X12 w/ Texas Heat+V12
I Want More Stuff
hah, no at least not yet. I was told that at low levels the amp isn't actually putting out 100w and when ran at like 2-3 volume it would be fine. COuld be wrong but it's working so far.

Are you playing with a soldano or something else?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)
Soldano Avenger 100
I Want More Stuff
most 1960s won't have V30s unless the owner has changed them...and the peavey XXX cab is terrible...and doesn't have V30s either.

Mesa, Orange, Framus Dragon, etc. all have V30s installed. And all should be under $1000 if you look used.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 16, 2010,
Get a Framus, best value. I had the Orange and Framus 2x12 now I only have the Framus.

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
if you look hard enough you can find a used cab for cheap.
I found a vintage late 70's early 80's crate slant cab on cl for 40$, but the speakers were terrible.

I bought some grill cloth to regrill it, and I bought some speakers from WGS

I got two veteran30's and two ET-65's and wired them in an x pattern.

I now have a awesome high quality, good looking, kickass sounding cab for $300.00

Highly reccomended to look at these speakers.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
I'm running my Soldano Avenger 50 into a Soldano cab with Eminence branded V30 clones. The Avenger has a lot of high end that I don't think would be wise to pair with a straight up Celestion V30 (because of that high-mid spike). Maybe try it with WGS speakers or something like mine which are meant to sound like a "more friendly" V30?

Good choice in amp!
Quote by penguinguy34
hah, no at least not yet. I was told that at low levels the amp isn't actually putting out 100w and when ran at like 2-3 volume it would be fine. COuld be wrong but it's working so far.

Are you playing with a soldano or something else?

Nope. MG too.
Quote by Cisc
if you look hard enough you can find a used cab for cheap.
I found a vintage late 70's early 80's crate slant cab on cl for 40$, but the speakers were terrible.

I bought some grill cloth to regrill it, and I bought some speakers from WGS

I got two veteran30's and two ET-65's and wired them in an x pattern.

I now have a awesome high quality, good looking, kickass sounding cab for $300.00

Highly reccomended to look at these speakers.

Yeah, this is exactly what i'm doing with my Ibanez TB Cabinet.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Diamond cabs are very well constructed with V30's and cheap too

I don't know about the cheap part, but they are some of the best goddamn cabs I've ever heard for heavier stuff.

also +1 to Avatar, who will load your cab with pretty much whatever you tell them to.

...good luck finding either of those used though
Avatar make great budget cabs if you must have a new one...but if you're willing to go used you can get a better cab for your money. I got a OS mesa 412 with the diamond plate, V30s, etc. for $400. And for $1000...you could find an orange 412. Our other guitarist just got a 412 orange in a road case for $725.
Quote by GrisKy
I don't know about the cheap part, but they are some of the best goddamn cabs I've ever heard for heavier stuff.

also +1 to Avatar, who will load your cab with pretty much whatever you tell them to.

...good luck finding either of those used though

well they're no budget cab but they go for the same price as a 6505 cab down here so for the price they're amazing
here they go for about $1100, and I live about an hour from the shop where they make them in Houston.

$1100 for a Diamond cab is fair to me considering Mesa goes for about the same. Jeff has some serious attention to detail, and if I were looking new, I'd pick up a Diamond over a Mesa any day.

...btw, since it was brought up earlier, Mesa cabs aren't stocked with the V30's you're thinking of. They're stocked with rebranded (black shadow or some shit like that) V30's from Celestions CHINA factory. Normally China = anything in the name of saving a buck, but I like these V30's better than the UK V30's for what it's worth... better low mids.
Quote by GrisKy
...btw, since it was brought up earlier, Mesa cabs aren't stocked with the V30's you're thinking of. They're stocked with rebranded (black shadow or some shit like that) V30's from Celestions CHINA factory. Normally China = anything in the name of saving a buck, but I like these V30's better than the UK V30's for what it's worth... better low mids.

My mesa came with celestion V30s...aren't those the ones he's talking about?
Quote by GrisKy
Sorry full of fail.
Mesa uses UK made 70 watt V30's selected by Celestion for Mesa use. All new 60 watt V30's are now made in China. Mesa isn't in the buisiness of cutting corners, and Black Shadows are entirely different speakers.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Sorry full of fail.
Mesa uses UK made 70 watt V30's selected by Celestion for Mesa use. All new 60 watt V30's are now made in China. Mesa isn't in the buisiness of cutting corners, and Black Shadows are entirely different speakers.

Not according to Mesa, with whom I was on the phone for over an hour discussing speakers 3 days ago.

and incase you didn't catch it before, I was complimenting the Chinese V30's over the UK V30's.

EDIT: there are two types of Black Shadows, and both are rebranded Celestions.
Last edited by GrisKy at Sep 16, 2010,
hmm...the back of my cab says celestion V30...and it's definitely got the UK ones in it...

I still don't buy it. Why would they advertise Celestion V30s...and the black shadows, if they are the same speakers, just one is rebranded?
damn the diamond cabs are virtually half the price of a mesa recto cab here

I actually don't mind Black Shadows for recording as long as the mic is placed off axis
Quote by eyebanez333
That's what I thought. You mainly see them in 112 cabs or the combos, right? Every recto cab I've ever seen including the one I've got have Celestion Vintage 30's...

http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/mesa_boogie/Cabinet_Selector.htm
Yes, the 90 watt Black Shadows are similar to the Celestion CL80, with different freq ranges and Mesa rates them 10 watts higher.
Much like the Mesa 70 watt V30's, slightly different freq ranges and an added 10 watt rating.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Kev_369
Get a Framus, best value. I had the Orange and Framus 2x12 now I only have the Framus.

Not in the US.

Quote by eyebanez333
most 1960s won't have V30s unless the owner has changed them...

There are 3 different versions of the 1960, one series comes with V30s stock.

For $1000 or under, I'd recommend anything BUT a big brand company. For a grand, you can get an excellent cab - Emperor, Mills Acoustics, Port City, Splawn, etc.

Quote by GrisKy
there are two types of Black Shadows, and both are rebranded Celestions.

Actually, there have been, and still are, if I'm not mistaken, both Celestion and Eminence Black Shadows, it just depends on what model you get.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 16, 2010,
Quote by MatrixClaw

There are 3 different versions of the 1960, one series comes with V30s stock.

For $1000 or under, I'd recommend anything BUT a big brand company. For a grand, you can get an excellent cab - Emperor, Mills Acoustics, Port City, Splawn, etc

2 actually...if you count the Mustaine cabs that's why I said 'most.'

The guy who our other guitarist just bought the orange cab from just got a deal on an emperor backline. I haven't tried one yet though...
Quote by eyebanez333
2 actually...if you count the Mustaine cabs that's why I said 'most.'

The guy who our other guitarist just bought the orange cab from just got a deal on an emperor backline. I haven't tried one yet though...

Interesting, never even heard of the Mustaine cab - must be something new? Not that I really follow Marshall anyway, the only cab of theirs I'd buy is an old JCM 800 1960 with the 65w Greenbacks, or one of their 2x12s if I got it super cheap
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Interesting, never even heard of the Mustaine cab - must be something new?

Yeah...I don't think they sell great. They're $1200 new. The only thing they have going for them is the metal grille...which is pretty cool I guess. But for $1200...the brands that you mentioned....
Avatar cabs seem pretty nice, and you can get them with lots of different speakers. V30s are a standard option.

Soldano cabs usually aren't loaded with V30s though - the SLO cabs have some sort of Eminence Legends in them, and sound great.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by eyebanez333
Yeah...I don't think they sell great. They're $1200 new. The only thing they have going for them is the metal grille...which is pretty cool I guess. But for $1200...the brands that you mentioned....
The tolex is a really cool carbon fibre wrap that looks really cool. But the diamond grille didn't feel very sturdy and the Marshall logo was all flimsy and loose.
Used I'd be interested, but for the price they are new, no way!
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
The marshall mustaine cabs aren't anything new, and for the price i'd hardly want them.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Funk Monk
The marshall mustaine cabs aren't anything new

They've only been out for a year or so now

They're definitely the newest production cab that Marshall has. But for $1200 new...you could definitely do better. Even moreso if you bought a used cab.
Quote by guitarinchris
I'm running my Soldano Avenger 50 into a Soldano cab with Eminence branded V30 clones. The Avenger has a lot of high end that I don't think would be wise to pair with a straight up Celestion V30 (because of that high-mid spike). Maybe try it with WGS speakers or something like mine which are meant to sound like a "more friendly" V30?

Good choice in amp!

I was looking into Eminence Legends like in the Soldano cab to accentuate the bass, i was just looking at Vintage 30's as an option to try out before I buy. I'll definitely look into the WGS or the clones.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)
Soldano Avenger 100
I Want More Stuff
Quote by MatrixClaw
Actually, there have been, and still are, if I'm not mistaken, both Celestion and Eminence Black Shadows, it just depends on what model you get.

The EV12 in my Mark is also labeled as a Black Shadow.
Quote by eyebanez333
They've only been out for a year or so now

They're definitely the newest production cab that Marshall has. But for $1200 new...you could definitely do better. Even moreso if you bought a used cab.

I've seen them on musiciansfriend for quite some time now, so that's why I said that.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Sorry for interupting...But what about a Laney TT cab? It got V30 in them.
Gear

Fender American standard ash Telecaster
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Fender American FSR Chambered Telecaster
Fender HH FMT Telecaster

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40w Amp
Quote by littlephil
The EV12 in my Mark is also labeled as a Black Shadow.

Ah, true, forgot the EVMs were labeled Black Shadow too
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Make sure to try the Avenger with V30s before you buy. I haven't like any of the SLO based Soldano circuits with V30s. I really like them with G12-65s. Like, really like. The Warehouse ET-65s are cheap clones IIRC. Real ones are pretty expensive. You could probably pick up an 80s Marshall with them for like $400 if you look around though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I've got my popcorn ready for the impending "UK vs Chinese V30" argument.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by mmolteratx
Make sure to try the Avenger with V30s before you buy. I haven't like any of the SLO based Soldano circuits with V30s. I really like them with G12-65s. Like, really like. The Warehouse ET-65s are cheap clones IIRC. Real ones are pretty expensive. You could probably pick up an 80s Marshall with them for like $400 if you look around though.

After reading the specs off the celestion website I am very interested, other than the old Marshall cabs, does anybody make cabs with these preinstalled?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)
Soldano Avenger 100
I Want More Stuff