hey guys, ive just put new JJ 6L6GCs into my valveking, and they are not even lighting up, any ideas why? i have pushed them all the way in, do they just need time to warm up and whatever? if so, should i leave it on standby or on?
FightinIrishPJ wrote:

flea in school? oh my....
What tubes were in previously? Did you verify that the previously installed tubes' filaments glowed? I would suggest starting by re-installing the old tubes and verifying that.

In standby, the filaments should glow.
ruby 6L6s were in it previously, and yes they glowed, i will re insall them now and check that they glow
FightinIrishPJ wrote:

the power light on the front isnt even lighting up now :\ get the feeling i may have blown a fuse? probably best of getting it looked at by a tech am i right?
FightinIrishPJ wrote:

Sounds like you have blown a fuse. It could be a non-issue or there may actually be a problem. I believe that amp has DC heaters if I'm not mistaken. There should be a separate fuse for the DC heater circuit. Not sure if the indicator lamp is tied into that.

Check the fuses and report back on your findings.
yeahh looks like the fuse has blown guess ill be best getting it to a tech who can sort it out for me? or can i get a fuse for it easily enuf?

EDIT:

would this be okay, it matches the writing by te fuse socket on the back of the amp
http://tinyurl.com/36hpbyv
FightinIrishPJ wrote:

Last edited by SquirrelJonGoff at Sep 16, 2010,
you can get another fuse for it...but like Craig said, if it blows the new fuse, there could be a bigger problem that would be better handled by a tech.
Was it like a 3A fuse? Does your amp have an LED indicator?

I'm thinking the fuse in the DC heater circuit blew and the indicator is probably tied into that circuit which would explain no filaments and no indicator.

Start by replacing that fuse. Make sure it is the same value fuse. Put the old tubes in for starters and see if the filaments glow. Turn it off and then put the new tubes in and see if they glow. If the fuse blows again, the filaments are likely to be drawing too much current. But if you have the fuse blow again, it's time to see a tech for troubleshooting.
i took the fuse out of the back of the amp next to the AC input socket, found it had blown, i have now replaced this fuse, and the LED light now comes on, but the valves are not lighting up still. where is this DC heater circuit fuse you say may have blown?
FightinIrishPJ wrote:

^^ I wasn't even aware that it had second fuse and I owned one

I'd post your question in The Valveking Thread. There are a lot of technical dudes in there that know this amp forward and backward. Not that Craig doesn't as he builds amps, just sayin'
Quote by SquirrelJonGoff
i took the fuse out of the back of the amp next to the AC input socket, found it had blown, i have now replaced this fuse, and the LED light now comes on, but the valves are not lighting up still. where is this DC heater circuit fuse you say may have blown?

I don't know where it is. I don't even know for sure if you actually have DC heaters. I don't know anything about your amp other than the fact that it is a Valve King of which there are a few different varieties. Perhaps if you tell me more specific info about your amp I can hunt down a schematic and help you more.

If there is no other fuse on the amp back panel, another fuse may be located inside on a PCB.