Thanks to everyone who posted their thoughts on my thread about most iconic guitars (it's here if you missed it: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353817&highlight=most+iconic+guitars).

Few things to add now that the topic is closed:
1. Some great ideas - thanks.
2. Anyone who said there weren't 25 guitars to populate the list: wrong.
3. Even so, the final list did have some incredibly similar shapes.
4. And you can see for yourself, as I finally got it published.
5. Here's the link: http://stuff.tv/News/25-most-iconic-guitars-ever/15063/

Let me know what you think...
This list sucks
PRS Standard 22, Trans Blue
PRS Custom 24, Eriza Verde Green
Martin DC16 GTE Acoustic/Electric
Segovia Acoustic/Electric
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb
Fender Princeton Chorus 212
I'd say: Strat, tele, ibanez iceman, gibson flying V, les paul, SG, prs custom, Ibanez RG, Gretch town'n'country. These are the guitars that everyone recognizes.
Yup.
here comes all the disagreeing individuals with their differing opinions

edit: although i have also noticed some strange things:

why do you have a G&L broadcaster in there when you've already got the fender tele there? you're basically applauding leo fender for the same thing twice

also on the gibson explorer page.. are you sure that's billy gibbons? i don't know much about ZZ top but... i thought billy gibbons was the guitarist, not the bassist - although perhaps they swap roles sometimes - and from a distance they do look pretty similar
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Sep 16, 2010,
There's a number of fairly obscure models in there, which by the very fact of their obscurity wouldn't qualify as particularly "iconic". I love how the guitars pictured were often completely different from the ones in the text -- the G&L and Silhouette, for example. Interesting choice of players, and reasoning for it -- "Jerry Garcia started on this Danelectro" (I'd associate him more with a Les Paul or one of his many custom models).

I could nitpick some of the specific choices. For example, I'd say the Gretsch White Falcon is at least equally tied with the Chet Atkins. That's what's great about Gretsch -- they never go in much for subtlety. I'm surprised you overlooked the Gibson EDS-1275 -- and explicitly noted the omission in the text -- and I'd argue there's a place for the ES-175, the archetypal jazz guitar, or L-5, the first archtop with f-holes. Hell, if we're doing acoustics, what about Antonio de Torres' notorious paper mache guitar, a very important development in modern guitar design? That man was the closest the guitar world had to a Stradivarius.

Then again, I'm wasting my metaphorical breath, because no one really takes these lists seriously -- especially when their scope is so broad as to make the whole endeavor essentially meaningless. (Paradoxically, despite the overwhelming bias towards rock musicians.)

EDIT: By the way, there's a reason these lists -- apart from minor differences in personal opinion -- invariably look the same. The definition of "icon" doesn't really change. An iconic guitar is one that anyone, even a non-guitarist, would instantly recognize and associate with a particular style of music. That implies it pretty much has to be something fairly mainstream that's survived the test of time. Not much you can do about it; all these lists are boring by their very nature.
Last edited by obeythepenguin at Sep 16, 2010,
I'd say Strat, Tele, Les Paul, Flying V and Martin Dreadnought should definitely be on the list.

Others depend on who you ask. Parker Flies, while very advanced and innovative, aren't exactly iconic, at least not yet. Ask a random person to draw a guitar, they'll probably draw a Strat or a Dreadnought. Those are shapes everyone recognises.

Also, why the Vox Phantom? Maybe this is just my ignorance, but I can't think of anyone besides Ian Curtis who played one.

I think the SG or the Les Paul Junior should be up there. Maybe also the L-5. Gibson's made a lot of iconic designs.
Quote by obeythepenguin
There's a number of fairly obscure models in there, which by the very fact of their obscurity wouldn't qualify as particularly "iconic". I love how the guitars pictured were often completely different from the ones in the text -- the G&L and Silhouette, for example. Interesting choice of players, and reasoning for it -- "Jerry Garcia started on this Danelectro" (I'd associate him more with a Les Paul or one of his many custom models).

I could nitpick some of the specific choices. For example, I'd say the Gretsch White Falcon is at least equally tied with the Chet Atkins. That's what's great about Gretsch -- they never go in much for subtlety. I'm surprised you overlooked the Gibson EDS-1275 -- and explicitly noted the omission in the text -- and I'd argue there's a place for the ES-175, the archetypal jazz guitar, or L-5, the first archtop with f-holes. Hell, if we're doing acoustics, what about Antonio de Torres' notorious paper mache guitar, a very important development in modern guitar design? That man was the closest the guitar world had to a Stradivarius.

Then again, I'm wasting my metaphorical breath, because no one really takes these lists seriously -- especially when their scope is so broad as to make the whole endeavor essentially meaningless. (Paradoxically, despite the overwhelming bias towards rock musicians.)

EDIT: By the way, there's a reason these lists -- apart from minor differences in personal opinion -- invariably look the same. The definition of "icon" doesn't really change. An iconic guitar is one that anyone, even a non-guitarist, would instantly recognize and associate with a particular style of music. That implies it pretty much has to be something fairly mainstream that's survived the test of time. Not much you can do about it; all these lists are boring by their very nature.

I had to side with this post. Iconic guitars are guitars most people would recognize and many on that list were definitely not known to the general public. I also though the order should've been more closely related to the guitars popularity.
Moving on.....
Just because I have that much time on my hands...

Quote by jkielq91
strat
gibson flying v
les paul
randy rhoads
telecaster
dean ml
frankenstrat
bc rich warlock

(1) Most people won't know the difference between a Gibson and Rhoads V. Strike Rhoads.

(2) The Frankenstrat is a Strat, as the name would suggest. Strike that.

(3) The ML and BC Rich haven't been around nearly as long as the others, and don't have anywhere near as much mainstream recognition. Hell, I don't think they're that common even in metal. Strike both of those.

So the final list is Strat, Flying V, Les Paul, Telecaster -- exactly the same guitars you see on everybody else's lists (and as I explained above, for good reason). Speaking of the Flying V, has anyone else here heard of Albert King? Because OP obviously hasn't.
Quote by Blompcube
here comes all the disagreeing individuals with their differing opinions

Last time I checked, this was a public forum and the entire point of the public forum is for people to offer their opinions--different or not.

Also, that list has some problems.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.