hey

so, im doing research for what amp i should get when i upgrade (im currently saving up). and the amp that seems best for me so far is a used marshall jcm 800. but i need a clean channel for some of the stuff i play, sometimes switching to clean mid song.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the jcm800 is only a 1 channel amp. so i was wandering if its possible to get a pedal that will create a good clean channel, that i can use over the distortion, without the tone sounding at all distorted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and i was also wandering if theres a way of connecting my guitar to 2 amps at the same time and using a footswitch to switch between the amps. for example use the jcm for heavey stuff and my cube for cleans.

if this is possible will it cost hundreds of ££££££?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or shall i just buy a jcm 900? or even peavey 5150?

first questions the most important.

im open to any other ideas you may have to.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Sep 16, 2010,
theres no pedal to make a distorted amp clean. but there is a box that allows you to switch between amps. its called an a/b box or sometimes aby box. i use one made by whirlwind and its great.
im no expert but does this 800 your looking at have two inputs, like a high and low gain input on the front, because if it does you can use an a/b selector between them
Quote by CreepingDeath13
im no expert but does this 800 your looking at have two inputs, like a high and low gain input on the front, because if it does you can use an a/b selector between them

http://www.gabkits.com/images/MercuryMagnetics/marshall-jcm800-2203.jpg
Quote by jkielq91

well it appears that it does. from what i heard, one lead in the high and and one in the low amd selecting between with an a/b box it similar to footswitching. i dont really know to what extent this works as you increase distortion. you'd have to get someone more knowledgeable than me to answer in more detail
I have a Ibanez GTA10 which also has 1 channel. What I did was buying a Boss MT2 for distortion. In the amp I just have a low level of gain to make it sound clean (with pedal deactivated).
It could be a solution ^^.
Quote by CreepingDeath13
well it appears that it does. from what i heard, one lead in the high and and one in the low amd selecting between with an a/b box it similar to footswitching. i dont really know to what extent this works as you increase distortion. you'd have to get someone more knowledgeable than me to answer in more detail

cheers for the info, ill look into this further.
y dont you get a volume pedal and rack it back when u want clean the amp shoud clean up as the input level is lowered
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
You could build a pedal that switches between two volume pots - one that you would leave fully open for distortion, and one you would roll back to clean the tone up. Essentially in the same way you can with the volume knob on your guitar, but in pedal format. I imagine it would be still fairly gritty though, and wouldn't clean up perfectly.
Last edited by Mathamology at Sep 16, 2010,
You can't just roll the volume knob on the guitar back?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
It's called a volume pedal. Or alternatively, you can just use the volume pot on your guitar.

Whatever you do, what you want is to weaken the signal that hits the preamp, either through lowering the signal coming from the guitar or using the amp's attenuated input. Either solution will lead to some volume loss, which would be quite significant if you go from heavy distortion to absolutely clean settings that way, which might be a problem.

We can't recommend anything really unless we know what music you play, if you play in a band, how much cash you have, yadda yadda yadda...
Even if the amp has 2 inputs, it defaults to one or the other when both are plugged in (low input, I believe). My Laney AOR can't be ABed this way, and they're VERY similar to JCM 800's.

Volume pedal would be the way to go, or the volume knob as others have already suggested.
Quote by JephStiph
Yes , the homebrew Detox pedal does exatcly what you want , i.e. cleaning up a dirty/distorted amp.

Paul demos it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz2-wO6vBIo&feature=related

this does sound good, but it seems to be outnumbered in what every one thinks is best, so ill try the rest first.
The ONLY way to clean up a dirty amp is to lower the signal being put into it. That's all the detox does, basically. So if you don't want to waste your money do what every other JCM800 user in history has done and use your guitar's volume knob.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

seriously though you are gonna have to either run a second amp for cleans or just deal with the fact that your cleans won't be spanky clean.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by CreepingDeath13

No, can't be done.

When there is a plug in the high input, plugging in a second cable in the low input reverts the high into another low input.
So both are lows.