Alright.
I haven't really played guitar in almost a month now. I'm taking a nice long break so when I decide to go back and learning everything I won't feel burnt out.

Anyway, my main goal is to improve my ear. So, I decided to learn a simple song today [as I think I may end my break today, but not too sure] by ear that I really want to play but doesn't have any tabs, but has a really cool sounding chorus and outro.
However, due the fact I haven't played [or actually listened to music for that matter, which is kinda odd], I'm having trouble identifying the intro's power chords - something I could previously learn by ear from songs.
And because I have no tab as a reference to check if I'm right, I'm pretty much a little stuck.

Here's the small section, panned hard left to remove most of the vocals [pan it back if you want here them ]
http://www.mediafire.com/?wufzyiwelxhc15r

From what I can tell, the first chord is an E5 [with the old trick of the octave going down a semitone]. I'm pretty damn sure that's right, but it's best to check.
The second chord gave me trouble [and embarrassment by not being able to get it], but I think it could be an Ab/G#. Would that be correct?

If I hadn't taken a massive break I would've got it, but that's life.
I do find it very embarrassing though, as I was able to learn a lot by ear, but now I seem to have lost any skill I had [but, I intend to get it back and go further then previously].

Thanks for any help though.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Sep 16, 2010,
So you are trying to tab the song without your guitar, or am I missing the point?
If so, I cheated and got this:

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------7---6---------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-7---6---9---9---------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-7---7---9---9---------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-5---5---7---7---------------------------------------------------------------------|
I'm using my guitar and failing miserably. Thus why I find it embarrassing.
A month from not playing and it goes.

It's why I will do ear training literally everyday now regardless of if I do anything else guitar related. I can take a break from playing, but not from exercising my ears.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Sep 16, 2010,
I know exactly how you're feeling. After a summer vacation without my guitar, I sucked b***s.
But it'll all come back soon, I guess. It did with me!
Quote by emil_sej
I know exactly how you're feeling. After a summer vacation without my guitar, I sucked b***s.
But it'll all come back soon, I guess. It did with me!

I hope so, thanks.
I'm kinda shocked how bad it is though.
My new rule is that I can still take a break from playing [learning lots of riffs/songs/licks wears me out and loses motivation - I prefer to create music, that's where the fun is for me], but not from keeping my ears in shape.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Probably not a bad idea, though I try not have too much "rules" to my guitar playing, as I mostly see it as a hobby.
I actually think you have inspired me to do some ear training myself, as I had kind of forgotten how funny it was. Thank you and good luck with it!
Quote by emil_sej
Probably not a bad idea, though I try not have too much "rules" to my guitar playing, as I mostly see it as a hobby.
I actually think you have inspired me to do some ear training myself, as I had kind of forgotten how funny it was. Thank you and good luck with it!

Thanks!
I find forcing myself to learn lots of songs tires me out and loses my motivation to continue playing.
Ear training doesn't, but I stupidly took a break from that too. I was just doing some interval comparison today [with my guitar in hand so my brain can relate the sound of the intervals to the fingering on the fretboard] and it was much more 'engaging' then learning a song, and in the 45 minutes I spent doing it, my brain probably learnt a lot more.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Man, ear training is f'in hard. Stuff like major 2nds/diminished 5ths/octaves are easy enough, but when it comes to P4 and P5s my brain apparently cannot tell the difference (not as often as i'd like anyway).
Quote by Calibos
Man, ear training is f'in hard. Stuff like major 2nds/diminished 5ths/octaves are easy enough, but when it comes to P4 and P5s my brain apparently cannot tell the difference (not as often as i'd like anyway).

I get that too. Best thing to do is keep at it [or use your guitar to help you. Era training by using your guitar as well can really help kick things up a bit]
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO