Greetings.

I'm after a new guitar, either an Ibanez S670PB or S770PB. The price difference is like 200 Australian dollars. Just wondering if the s770pb is worth that extra 200?
There is also a RG570 and RG560 for abit cheaper, 2nd hand thou.
I quite like the feel of the ibanez neck. Ive tried other guitars, like schetchers, esp ltd and jacksons, but i like the ibanez more.

So what do you think? is it worth paying an extra 200 dollars?
Ibanez Rg570EX
-Nailbomb & Liquifire
ENGL screamer 50
Dynacomp-TS9/808-OCD-Phase 90-Small Clone.
The only difference between the two is the fact one has 22 frets and one has 24. If you want to pay 200 dollars for 2 frets that is entirely up to you

The S series are very nice guitars however.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
If you play out of the neck pickup often, go for the 22 fret
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by archenemyfan
if you're not dead set on a S the RG570 will be of better quality

Completely untrue, although the whole matter is subjective based on the particular guitar, RG's are not "better quality" than an S series.

Just because it's made in Japan doesn't mean "omg it's better".

I've owned both, as well as an 89 RG550, and I wouldn't trade my S series for it ever.

Also, the RG will have a wizard original neck, so if you like the feel of the S series neck (wizard II), really play the RG first.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Sep 16, 2010,
^ I dont have time to write long winded replies so I'll just pretend to agree with you completely ignoring the fact that they are from completely two different lines,one said to be higher in quality than the other by ibanez themselves.
Quote by archenemyfan
^ I dont have time to write long winded replies so I'll just pretend to agree with you completely ignoring the fact that they are from completely two different lines,one said to be higher in quality than the other by ibanez themselves.

Nowhere ever did Ibanez say an RG was higher quality than an S series. ROFL! Please link me to that or don't post it.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by guitar nubsauce
Nowhere ever did Ibanez say an RG was higher quality than an S series. ROFL! Please link me to that or don't post it.

who said RG's have better quality tahn S's?

I said MIJ ibbys have better quality than korean ones

..god
Quote by archenemyfan
I said MIJ ibbys have better quality than korean ones

For the most part I would agree, but you're comparing apples to oranges. S series has completely different specs.

Would an S series from Japan be better than one from Korea? Yes.

I wouldn't recommend somebody an RG over an S series though because the RG is Japan and the S series is not..

Early RG series had major neck snapping problems due to being too thin, whether the RG he's looking at has a stripe I don't know. I've snapped the headstock right off an old MiJ abusing the whammy. How's that for build quality?

Either way, being a past owner of all discussed, I would put my s series quality up against and old RG any day.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Sep 16, 2010,
Quote by guitar nubsauce

Early RG series had major neck snapping problems due to being too thin, whether the RG he's looking at has a stripe I don't know. I've snapped the headstock right off an old MiJ abusing the whammy. How's that for build quality?

Either way, being a past owner of all discussed, I would put my s series quality up against and old RG any day.

what stripe?a walnut stripe?

actually,that contributes very little to make the headstock stronger,its the volute that matters most

breaking a headstock by whammying?thats unbelievable,there are millions of other old MIJ RG's that have pretty strong headstocks,...

again,why only RG's?the new s5470's have super wizards which are as thin as original wizards

I can show you some real quality issues with some S's aswell,not every guitar is perfect...
Quote by archenemyfan
what stripe?a walnut stripe?

actually,that contributes very little to make the headstock stronger,its the volute that matters most

breaking a headstock by whammying?thats unbelievable,there are millions of other old MIJ RG's that have pretty strong headstocks,...

again,why only RG's?the new s5470's have super wizards which are as thin as original wizards

I can show you some real quality issues with some S's aswell,not every guitar is perfect...

It's not "unbelievable", in fact, 2 minutes of quick google searching and you would believe it.

Prior to 1992, the necks were not re-enforced, causing the locking nut area to completely snap. Which is why anything after 1992 had a skunk stripe.

Also, super wizards are re-enforced, so that has nothing to do with it.

It's all just a matter of opinion, but I've owned many RGs and had many problems with original edge, lo pros, edge III, twisted necks (non-stripe), breaking necks (non-stripe).

I've owned my S series for a while now and have ZERO problems.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by guitar nubsauce
It's not "unbelievable", in fact, 2 minutes of quick google searching and you would believe it.

Prior to 1992, the necks were not re-enforced, causing the locking nut area to completely snap. Which is why anything after 1992 had a skunk stripe.

Also, super wizards are re-enforced, so that has nothing to do with it.

It's all just a matter of opinion, but I've owned many RGs and had many problems with original edge, lo pros, edge III, twisted necks (non-stripe), breaking necks (non-stripe).

I've owned my S series for a while now and have ZERO problems.

Actually I didnt can you post some links?I'm really interested now

what do you mean by reinforced?

lack of titanium truss rod?volute?

I dont know,the bubinga stripe does add some strength but mainly its the volute that make the headstock stronger

I know,those necks were fragile,but that wont stop me from choosing a MIJ ibby over a korean one

necks can warp on any guitar..???
Last edited by archenemyfan at Sep 16, 2010,
Neck problems stem around the locking nut area being too thin on the original wizards, which is why they were re-enforce in 1992.

http://www.studioauditions.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1236

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-148901.html

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1261044
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
I prefer the S shape better. i like its sexy roundness. But 200 dollars for an extra 2 frets hmm... sounds expensive.
Ibanez Rg570EX
-Nailbomb & Liquifire
ENGL screamer 50
Two extra frets and the loss of tone in the neck position. Up to you. I love my neck pickup sounds, and I was not happy with the 24fret neck pickup.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by Milotic
I prefer the S shape better. i like its sexy roundness. But 200 dollars for an extra 2 frets hmm... sounds expensive.

Its a hundred bucks a fret man I think Ibanez is trying to copy Alembic with its prices.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by archenemyfan

I highly doubt that, and I'd question the reliability of your source.

Anyway, I own the S770-FM and it's a dream to play. My only problem with it is the neck pickup, which does suck a bit. If you're a hardcore neck-pickup-player, don't go for 24-frets. That being said, if you're into fast guitar solos (Gilbert, Satriani), you'll much appreciate the extra two frets.

What stuff do you play? What other guitars do you have?

EDIT: Here's a bad photo of the FM if you change your mind. Looks a lot less orangey in RL.

Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
Last edited by ArpeggiateTHIS at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by ArpeggiateTHIS
I highly doubt that, and I'd question the reliability of your source.

-_-

whatsbetter ? A prestige or a korean ibby?
Quote by archenemyfan
-_-

whatsbetter ? A prestige or a korean ibby?

Prestige, if they're similar guitars.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
Quote by ArpeggiateTHIS
Prestige, if they're similar guitars.

there you go!

Usually rg5xx>korean ibbys
Quote by archenemyfan
there you go!

Usually rg5xx>korean ibbys

He said if they are similar guitars. I would put my S670FM against that RG570 and im pretty sure it would play better and sound better. Mine is indonesian, the RG570 is japanese. However my guitar has had a pickup swap and a professional setup and fret dressing. So its not always prestige > non prestige.

The OP may find the S series better just due to preference. He may prefer the smooth action of the ZR trem and the tuning stability. The thinner, more contoured body and the lighter weight of the S. It would be down to preference.

If it was say a comparison between an S670 and an Ibanez S5470 both stock then it would obviously be the japanese made one. As both are guitars of the same line.
My Gear

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless

The OP may find the S series better just due to preference. He may prefer the smooth action of the ZR trem and the tuning stability. The thinner, more contoured body and the lighter weight of the S. It would be down to preference.

This.

Seriously, RG and S do have more than a few major differences. For example, S-necks generally aren't as thin as the wizards used on their RG counterparts (or, should I be wrong, I know for definite that the S770 neck isn't wizard-thin).
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
Quote by Talentless
He said if they are similar guitars. I would put my S670FM against that RG570 and im pretty sure it would play better and sound better.

thats completely subjective...and you have no proof to show that..i'm pretty sure that the RG570 will be better to me as they were some of the best guitars to come out of the ibbby factory

Mine is indonesian, the RG570 is japanese. However my guitar has had a pickup swap and a professional setup and fret dressing. So its not always prestige > non prestige.

fret redressing means there was something wrong with the fre finishing quality in the first place...so that minus to the quality,you're comparing an upgraded guitar to a stock one...

smooth action- doesnt even make sense
tuning stability- thats complete BS...Lopro's and Original edges are rock solid....

well ya thats why I said in the first place that

Quote by archenemyfan

please learn to read

If it was say a comparison between an S670 and an Ibanez S5470 both stock then it would obviously be the japanese made one. As both are guitars of the same line.

you people need to realise that I was talking from a standpoint of quality
.not playability etc. etc.the MIJ one will have better wood quality,better fret ends,better fretboard edge finishing,better paint and so on..

i'm done
I do play Gilbert stuff and i also use the neck pickup a fair bit for rhythms as well. Would it be a good idea to get the S770PB and upgrade the neck pups? or are the pups not the issue?
Ibanez Rg570EX
-Nailbomb & Liquifire
ENGL screamer 50
Quote by Milotic
I do play Gilbert stuff and i also use the neck pickup a fair bit for rhythms as well. Would it be a good idea to get the S770PB and upgrade the neck pups? or are the pups not the issue?

It's not the neck pup that is the issue if you go with the 24 fret, it's the placement under the node. It will sound a bit thinner than the 22 fret. There will be absolutely nothing you can do about it, the 22 fret neck pickup will always sound better than the 24.

As for arch enemy, give it up man. Stop being such a snob, just because something comes from Japan doesn't automatically put it as a better guitar then one from Indonesia. You honestly just don't know what you're talking about, lol. I would put my Japanese strat up against my USA strat ANYDAY, and honestly, the japanese one plays better and has a more solid build. Guess what? I paid $350 for my Japanese strat with OHSC, and $900 for the usa. Did I mention my USA was a deluxe? Top of the line besides custom.

I sold both my 550 and 770 (89 and 92) for $250 (which is exactly what they were worth to me), then turned around and paid $450 for my s series, BECAUSE IT WAS A BETTER GUITAR IN EVERY ASPECT.

Oh, by the way, if you never played an original edge I would suggest keeping you're mouth closed. They are far from greatness. They are high and clunky. He was dead on when he said better action with the ZR, because the ZR has a lower profile than the original edge. The original edge was high and uncomfortable for me, not to mention your talking about a 25 year old tremolo, which quality wise, time has really taken a toll on them all. If the original edge was that great, I'm pretty sure they would still make it?

Thank you, good day.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Sep 18, 2010,
Indeed the smooth action of the ZR is an accurate way to describe the trem. With a lot of knife edge trems they get harder to push down on as you push them lower. The ZR is a ball bearing trem, one of the advantages of it is that its easy as pie to push down on. Smoother action of the trem -_-
My Gear

Stinnett M7 in the works
Hey guys, i think i found some S5470 Prestiges going for 1000-1500, reckon i should go for them?
Ibanez Rg570EX
-Nailbomb & Liquifire
ENGL screamer 50
Well the fretwork and action right out of the box will be much better on the S5470 so taking it to get a setup will be less of a concern. If you can afford it go for it!
My Gear

Stinnett M7 in the works