Well, it's a month until my birthday and the missus asked me what I would like. Other than the obvious I thought I'd upgrade my amp, pending the advice of experts on here.

I'm pretty much a beginner, playing for about 8 months.
I have a Pacifica 112 and a Roland 15x cube.
I would mainly use the amp for in the house and via headphones for practice, so I don't need anything too loud.
I'm into alt. rock and a bit of metal mainly, but would also like something with a nice clean tone.

Looking to spend no more than £200, and would happily go second-hand.

what dya think, is there anything out there that is going to be a noticeable step up from my Roland ?

Cheers
Blackstar Ht-5.

Edit: It might be a little over your price though
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Sep 16, 2010,
^ the HT-5 doesn't have very good cleans. TS since you're a beginner and will be using headphones/can't play loud i'd suggest a decent modeller like a Peavey Vypyr 30

It has better tone than the Cube IMO and anything tube with decent cleans and metal tones is frankly going to be above your budget unless you can find a good used deal
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Sep 16, 2010,
I have a Vox 30, sounds really good in my opinion. Never tried a Vypyr, maybe try both out and see which one you like.
I have a Vox VT30 and I love it. The cleans and crunch are amazing. Some people don't like the hi-gain models because they're "not so hi-gain" but i'm happy playing Opeth and a little BTBAM with them. The effects are nice too.

You should try a Peavey Vypyr, i've tried the Vypyr 30 and it sounded nice. It's better for metal (in general) than the VT but the cleans, crunch, etc aren't as nice IMO.

I've tried only the Cube 20 and i loved the clean channel (modeled after a Jazz Chorus) but i haven't tried the bigger cubes that have more models. Look around and try them all.
Hola.
Thanks for all your advice.

So, after a quick look, I can pick up a VoxVt30 on E-bay for around £150, and a Vt15 for just over £100.

A Vypyr30 is going for around £175.

A couple of follow up questions if I may.

As I'm only really practicing at home right now, what does a 30 give me other than wattage, that a 15 doesn't ?

If I was to find a few extra pounds behind the sofa, what sort of amps would I be looking at that were a significant step up from the one's mentioned, let's say in the £300-£400 new range.

Cheers
at that range you could start getting into some small tube amps, but for what you want a 30 watt modeler would be ideal. Go with the Vox VT30. They Vypyr sounds pretty bland and is pretty complex to set up your tone.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lee_d_m
If I was to find a few extra pounds behind the sofa, what sort of amps would I be looking at that were a significant step up from the one's mentioned, let's say in the £300-£400 new range.

Cheers

That would open up a lot of possibilities. More options than you have now.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
That would open up a lot of possibilities. More options than you have now.

Are you going to keep those options to yourself
vht special 6 for what they are they are kool
have a look on thomann...absolutly killer deals
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Fender Greta + 1x12 Homemade cabinet - For sale PM for details.
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 - Goldtop
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah