Hi all.

I've been playing guitar for 3 years now, and i dont know any theory. I mean... give me tabs and i will play it. But i cant solo, scales, i dont know how notes relate to each other, why it is named C sharp, things like that. I think its a shame since i want to begin writing music, and i dont know any theory. I dont know it to start at a private teacher is the way to go. Or could anyone give some advice to lessons on the internet, or something like that? Thanks!

P.S i mainly play, metal, thrash and classic rock. If that helps, lol.
Starting by reading the sticky called Music Theory FAQ Guide would be a good start.
I learned music theory basics within my first year of playing or so. You don't need a private teacher to learn that kind of stuff or any lessons honestly.
I know what I know from experience through playing different instruments and making music.
Although, some people learn different ways.. can't say I have any suggestions for what you should use to teach you though. If you're in college, take a music appreciation course.
Private teacher = best thing you could ever do

You may also need to play a little out of your comfort zone as most teachers (or at least that are any decent with theory / and ones i have encountered over the years) are jazz / classical
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Quote by TechnicolorType
If you're in college, take a music appreciation course.
Actually, Music Appreciation courses don't usually include any theory. That's the aptly titled Music Theory I, II, etc.

However, you can learn a lot on your own. There's tons of books on this. There's the FAQs on this site. There's other online stuff. It's not hard to find info to learn theory.
The type of music you play doesn't really matter (at least to start)...theory is theory. I guess I would start by learning scales...a little boring, yes, but it will be a huge help in seeing how chords are structured, the notes they use, how chords get their shape, ect, ect forever...as for scales, I would practice pentatonic scales up and down the neck...they are the easiest to start with and used with incredible frequency throughout many types of music
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Actually, Music Appreciation courses don't usually include any theory. That's the aptly titled Music Theory I, II, etc.

However, you can learn a lot on your own. There's tons of books on this. There's the FAQs on this site. There's other online stuff. It's not hard to find info to learn theory.

I took a course of it last semester and it included a lot of theory. I can't say I learned much since I knew it all, but it would be an excellent course for a casual music listener (that doesn't play any instruments) or even someone who plays instruments but is inexperienced when it comes to more technical stuff.
It might be different for my school since that's the only music course we have.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Sep 16, 2010,
A teacher is the best way to go. However, if you are not into that then there are some links in my sig that may help. Be careful not to try to take too much in at once; you'll get overwhelmed and lose motivations. I'd suggest starting with learning about the major scale and intervals.
Quote by Marcipan
Hi all.

I've been playing guitar for 3 years now, and i dont know any theory. I mean... give me tabs and i will play it. But i cant solo, scales, i dont know how notes relate to each other, why it is named C sharp, things like that. I think its a shame since i want to begin writing music, and i dont know any theory. I dont know it to start at a private teacher is the way to go. Or could anyone give some advice to lessons on the internet, or something like that? Thanks!

P.S i mainly play, metal, thrash and classic rock. If that helps, lol.

Learn to read standard notation.