Hey guys, ok so I am writing an essay on the history of blues in 20th century america. I am not asking for help with the essay itself but wondering if someone could give me some suggestions with things to incorporate? I think I know where i am starting but any artists I should specifically look at? I have the basics (robert Johnson, etc) Anyways any suggestions would be appreciated.
When I die, want you to dress me in straght laced shoes
A box back coat and a Stetson hat;
I would say go back to where the blues came from, how it came about in the South of America with slaves on the plantations and cotton fields and all that. You should talk a little about the society and geography in which the blues came from. I would say talk about WC.Handy as he's one of the first known blues composers. Then artists succh as Bessie Smith and Ma Rainy, and of course the Delta Blues. Theres so many artists to mention: Robert Johnson, Blind Blake (ragtime), Blind Boy Fuller, Big Bill Broonzy, Charlie Patton, Son House, Blind Lemon Jefferson, etc. Then eventually move on to electric and Chicago blues and all that, BB King, Albert King, Magic Sam, Elmore James, too many to name. Then definately talk about the birth of Rock and Roll and the British blues boom and the effect blues had on other music. Thats all Ill say for now, hope that helps
I agree with all the people to mention that ^he^ put, but I'll add a few that I think were vital: Leadbelly was a cornerstone of blues music during the Great Depression, very badass dude. And there's someone very important that wasn't mentioned: Muddy Waters. Muddy Waters is among the most influential figures blues has ever known.

As for the British blues-rock movement, The Yardbirds are always a good band to bring up (the British movement ended up circulating back to America and all that). It's also interesting to note that some American blues artists, like Johnny Lee Hooker, kind of rode the blues wave in Britain when they saw the opportunity presented there.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
Aight, start with the origins of blues: Chain gangs and field hollers, as these influenced the first commercial blues artists, who rose to fame in the late 20's, IE: Charlie Patton, Robert Johnson and Blind Lemon Jefferson. Once you have the commercial beginnings of the genre explained, move to the emergence of blues in 40's-50's Chicago, where artists like Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, Chuck Berry, and Buddy Guy came out of. Then, cover the British blues of the 60's, with EC, Yardbirds, Led Zep, the works. Describe the effect blues had on other genres after that, and I'd talk about SRV reviving the scene in the 90's before concluding.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
what about texas blues, jump blues, t bone, Lowell Fulson, B.B and all the other none chicago cats though?

or the 70's 80's white guys - Fabulous Thunderbirds, Hollywood Fats etc
Johnny Winter is too important to be ignored. If you don't know what I'm talking about, do your homework. That is all.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by Bluesblitz
Aight, start with the origins of blues: field hollers.

or in other words slavery in America.
Quote by carmour
what about texas blues, jump blues, t bone, Lowell Fulson, B.B and all the other none chicago cats though?

or the 70's 80's white guys - Fabulous Thunderbirds, Hollywood Fats etc

And certainly don't forget the gospel side of things.
Nor, the British Revolution.

Quote by m33sta
Also how the electrification of the guitar changed the scene.

Which can easily be included into Muddy Waters/Chicago blues. (And T-Bone, for that matter.)

Quote by Jazz Funeral
Johnny Winter is too important to be ignored. If you don't know what I'm talking about, do your homework. That is all.

Actually. He's certainly ignorable.
While it hurts me to say it, (Because I him, he's not THAT influential.)

Quote by nic0le
or in other words slavery in America.

This is very important. The mixture of the traditional folk music in africa with Western instruments and music. Worships songs especially, as the negro slaves adopted Christianity extremely quickly, due to african traditions. Here they'd encounter praise songs, and interpret them through their own music. That alongside the field hollers is one of the true foundations of blues, and therefore 95% of western music as we know it.
Soy colombiano y en realidad esta pagina si que me ha sido de utilidad... Gracias a todos los que hacen sus tabs y los comparten.