I'm looking for a really cheap distortion pedal, I don't need it for anything other than playing in a small band for my church... I have an Epiphone SG Special, with Humbuckers in it. I am limiting my budget to 30 or 40 max because I need it really soon, and don't want to spend much on a pedal I rushed to buy.

Basicly Distortion Pedal for:
$40 max
Super heavy distortion is not needed, but I wouldnt mind it
Doesn't need to sound that good, just enough to be able to hear what I'm playing
Playing it through a direct box to monitors at my church, and my peavey vypyr 15w at home.

Only getting it for at church, my vypyr gives me plenty of distortion... Been lookin at Boss DS-1?
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
why don't you just take your vypyr?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
why don't you just take your vypyr?

+1
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
I will check into those pedals, as long as youre sure they're better than the Boss DS-1. And I can't hook up my vypyr to the direct boxes. Also, they don't have the stuff to mic my amp, and they dont want me to use just the amp.
For worship music, you'd get a better sound out of a good overdrive. A Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, or a Delta Lab TO-1 would all be in your price range (especially used). I would highly recommend against distortion, especially if you're going straight into the board. Do you use a direct box?

Edit: OK, you use a direct box, good. I also forgot to mention that the pedals I said are all 50, but thats brand new, and it shouldn't be hard to find an overdrive pedal used.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Last edited by souperman08 at Sep 16, 2010,
I used to play my DS-1 through a DI box at church, and it sounded fine... just make sure to spend lots of time playing with the tone knob to find something not too shrill... I usually used to put the DIST at about 12 o'clock and the tone at about 7 o'clock and then adjusted the level so that it was only slightly louder than the guitar clean

but like the poster above me said... an OD worked better... I used to use my BD-2 instead of my DS-1 after I got the BD-2... it sounded better...

maybe try a SD-1? or a digitech bad monkey
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Last edited by Musicman48858 at Sep 16, 2010,
Ok, Overdrive pedals then? We do play some rock music (Revolution - Starfield, Until he Whole World Hears - Casting Crowns, things like that) so would it still work? I'll have to take a trip to Best Buy or a Guitar shop to check these out.
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Sep 16, 2010,
the digitech bad monkey should be perfect... it won't get you into metal territory, but for rock it should be good... check out the sound clips on http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-DBM-Bad-Monkey-Overdrive-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=150831

i realize that the OD pedals listed are out of your price range, but maybe you can find them used or on Ebay for cheaper.... otherwise, it's well worth the extra 10 bucks for one of these over a DS-1
Gear:
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by Diesel Weasel
I will check into those pedals, as long as youre sure they're better than the Boss DS-1. And I can't hook up my vypyr to the direct boxes. Also, they don't have the stuff to mic my amp, and they dont want me to use just the amp.

whats wrong with the DS-1?

i dont think theyre better anyways
Unless my guitar center has a sale or used pedal in stock, I really can't buy online because I need it Sunday.
Quote by Diesel Weasel
Unless my guitar center has a sale or used pedal in stock, I really can't buy online because I need it Sunday.

Where are you located? And yes, for the stuff you play I would highly recommend overdrive over distortion.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Last edited by souperman08 at Sep 16, 2010,
Check out your local craigslist... there are often great deals to be had there on used pedals, etc.

otherwise, the extra 10 bucks would be well worth it

If 40 is the absolute MOST you can swing... check out the Boss SD-1 super overdrive... i personally like the bad monkey better... but this would be a better fit for you than the DS-1

Musiciansfriend has a direct input clip for the SD-1, give it a listen

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-SUPER-OverDrive-SD1-Pedal?sku=151339
Gear:
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Hey guys I found a BBE Green Screamer MK1 for $45 at my local Guitar Center. Also, on Craigslist a Digitech Screamin Blues for $30 and Boss OS-1 Overdrive/Dostortion for $50. Would anyone reccomend one of those or not.
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Sep 16, 2010,
Screamin blue's covers more gain that what a bad monkey does, but not as good as they bad monkey in it's department. It's a mix between a Hot Head and a Bad Monkey, $30 is a decent deal for one.
But considering the Green Screamer is $100 on MF, That's a good deal...
Does the Green Screamer sound good?
Yes, I would recommend it. I've been looking at getting one myself.
If you can, try to find a Boss OS-2. I just got one a few days ago. They can be difficult to find though, especially under $50. They kick ass though. 2 for the price of 1? Yes please.

It has a color knob, all the way to the left is pure OD, and all the way to the right is pure Distortion, and you can put it anywhere in between to blend the two to get whatever level of drive you want. It won't do metal though - it's pretty much an OD pedal, but you can add a lot more grit to it if you want.

The only qualm I have is that it sounds very very fat and warm, but I haven't messed with the EQ a whole lot yet, so I need to work with it some more.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
This thread is so full of fail it's not even funny.

A distortion pedal through a DI into a mixer will sound like complete ass, unless the DI has speaker/cabinet simulation. It will not just be bad, but unbearably bad. If the DI has speaker simulation, it will still sound pretty funny, but it might be usable... I wouldn't bet on it though.

The Vypyr has nice enough distortion already, it's limitations are in it's small and not so great speaker and the fact that it's a small, beginner's solid state combo. It's good for what it is and for what it costs, but buying a dirt pedal for it is a waste of money imo.
If the Boss OS-1 is going to sound fat and chunky... then no. I really don't want that, because I want to be able to play the pedal on clean songs, and put the drive to like 7 or 8 o clock for a little twang so it doesn't sound so bland. Plus it gives me more controll over my volume. So BBE it is? I'll check it out at guitar center.
^You need something with speaker sim if you want it to sound any good right into a mixer (most things that have speaker sim wouldn't need a DI box). Cheapest I can think of is a Vox Tonelab ST, which is around 200 bucks new, half of that used when you're lucky. A simple dirt box will not suffice.
I've seen my Guitar Instructor use pedals on the Direct Boxes while playing... he said it was an $80 Distortion Pedal, I don't remember what kind though. I'm sure the pedals will sound fine, because the one he uses does... and that's the only reason I want it, I don't want it for my Vypyr 15W.

PS - This is church not a huge gig. :P
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Sep 17, 2010,
I've done it too... it's not optimal but it's not "unbearably bad" either...
Gear:
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by TheQuailman
^You need something with speaker sim if you want it to sound any good right into a mixer (most things that have speaker sim wouldn't need a DI box). Cheapest I can think of is a Vox Tonelab ST, which is around 200 bucks new, half of that used when you're lucky. A simple dirt box will not suffice.

He said its for a worship band... I'm not just randomly bashing church music here, but my dad runs sound board for his church and believe me they aren't the pickiest people in the world about sound quality. Basically if the 40+ year olds see an electric guitar on stage then that is sufficient for them to feel 'hip.' Hearing it, much less it sounding good is an optional thing.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Oh and we do have huge monitors (speakers) in the front of the small stage, and 2 on stage. I think around 4 or 5 in total

Oh and it's an all Highschool Band for our Highschool Youth Group.
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Sep 17, 2010,
I see where you guys are coming from, but I've tried running dirt boxes through a DI and my god is it ever a terrible sound. I'd rather run the guitar clean entirely.
Boss Blues Driver or Ibanez TS7.

The BD is awesome...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Ok, then maybe my church does has the speaker simulation thing, because it sounds fine to me.