been working on learning how to build chords from scales, and i get the major and minor scales, but when dealing with say, harmonic major and minor, diminished scales, etc, there aren't any lessons that i've found dealing with those. so i tried a few out, and i just want to see if i'm doing this the right way. i just picked something and made the basic triads..

harmonic major 1 2 3 4 5 b6 7

in the key of c
C D E F G Ab B

C E G- 1 3 5- Cmaj

since the the 2nd chord in the scale is built off of the d harmonic major scale
D E F# G A Bb C#

F# and A are not in the c harmonic major..i would need to flatten both of them to make..

D F Ab -1 b3 b5- Ddim

and then repeat for the rest of the chords in the scale..and i would get the following..

E G B - Emin
F Ab C - Fmin
G B D - Gmaj
Ab C E- Ab aug
B D F - Bim

hopefully i am doing this right..the light build went off in my head yesterday afternoon when i did this..lol hopefully i am right? i may be wrong about the d harmonic minor scale having a flat in it..i just know it can't have a and a#..any corrections anywhere in my reasoning would be wonderfully appreciated
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw
Quote by sqrrloncrack
since the the 2nd chord in the scale is built off of the d harmonic major scale

There's your mistake, the 2nd chord of the scale is still built off the C scale. So it would be the 2nd, 4th and 6th notes.

You get the correct result at the end by flattening the notes but this is a bad habit to get into.
Last edited by pwrmax at Sep 16, 2010,
well i know it;s the 2 4 and 6 in the scale, but i learned to determine the type of chord (maj/min/aug/etc) it helps to look at the scale relative to the chord, compare the result, and and it helps get the chord formula, like 1 b3 b5. theres a lesson on it here on UG called "what chords are in what key"

as long as i'm still getting the right results i'm cool lol eventually i won't need to do it the long way to figure out that D F Ab is a diminished chord and that Ab C E is an augmented chord and so on. i'm still just getting started with all this theory nonsense after playing blindly for a decade going "this sounds cool but i don't know what it is"
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw