Hello UG,

I've had an acoustic guitar for about 2.5 years now and I go through phases of playing everyday, but then I won't play for like 2 months. I really want to get serious about my guitar playing, but I always tend to make it t chord changes and barre chords and I just kind of quit playing.

I'm a college student (18 hours this semester), so how would I go about designing a practice regiment?

Note: I've played trombone for 10 years, so I have musical experience. It just seems guitar has even more muscle memory than playing brass, so I don't know if my trombone regiment of 30 mins 4 times a week would be effective. As I said, I keep stopping everytime I hit the wall.

Thanks UG!
--Kenny
Tear down the wall...

haha but seriously, you really do have to keep practicing through it. Barre chords are tough at first but the more you try to hold them the easier they get
practice as much as you can every day always, and diversify what you play. I play death metal, prog, acoustic, and jazz...a wierd combo eh? Trust me, diversity is key in keeping yourself interested and ambitious. I wouldnt anchor yourself to a schedule either, i tried doing that at first and i found myself wanting to stop playing before the hour i had set aside was up, now i can play for several hours and not even realize until i look at the clock.
I recommend that if you get to something that takes your interest away, just start playing something that you enjoy. so if you like to just improv, when you hit the wall, start to improv for a little while. If you do better learning on a schedule, like I do (it's not for everyone), then make sure that you devote each day of the week to something different. like taking classes in college, you may want to take a different class every day of the week, so your not forced to put up with the boring stuff every single day.

I like to set aside each day for working on something different. like I work on chords and rhythm on mondays, then tuesday is band, then wednesday I work on scales, thursday I work on speed, friday it changes(I choose to learn a new technique and every friday will be devoted to that till I get it to about adequate then I move it to thursday to work on speed), saturday band, sunday is my day off to refresh or random where I'll work on something that I feel I didn't practice well enough during the week, or it takes over if i had to miss a session during the week for whatever reason.

I choose to stay structured because I will never progress if I don't. Before structuring my studies i would just seek out and play riffs to songs I liked, and if I couldn't get them down, I would just give up and go onto another riff. I have progressed greatly since then. Again I'm only telling you what worked for me and I understand that scheduals don't work for everyone.
30 minutes a day, 4 days a week isn't really that much. You will improve, but it will take a while to see any results. Do you have any breaks between classes? If you do, I'd use that time exclusively for homework and then spend as much time playing at home as you can. Try for an hour a day at least. Or you could just let your grade slip and spend all of your "free" time practicing
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Hey Kenny !!!
I agree with Krypticguitar,,, schedules aren't for everyone but works for me. If I don't have "Structure" I seem to wander aimlessly,,, kinda that attention deficit thing. LOL !!!

I spent a year trying to teach myself without making much progress so I broke down 3 months ago and started taking lessons. WOW what a difference !!! Now I practice a half hour each morning before work then at least an hour every evening after work. I really look forward to each practice now,,, especially after work !!! I have a HIGH STRESS job,,, and nearly RUN home after the day's done so that I can just get lost in making music !!!! It's KRAZY how much better I'm getting. I'm no Eric Clapton or Eddie Van Halen, but compared to where I was even 3 months ago amazes me !!!

Hang TUFF Bro !!!
Foggy
Quote by KFrost2008
Hello UG,

I've had an acoustic guitar for about 2.5 years now and I go through phases of playing everyday, but then I won't play for like 2 months. I really want to get serious about my guitar playing, but I always tend to make it t chord changes and barre chords and I just kind of quit playing. [...]
--Kenny

Consistency really is key when it comes to improving on the guitar (or any instrument, for that matter).

If you find yourself playing a lot and then not playing at all it's usually because you got into it so much that you started setting yourself goals that you couldn't see through. You're essentially putting things off. I was the same, so I know exactly what you're saying. The trick is to break things down.

I definitely recommend reading http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com/motivation/3-time-proven-ways-stick-practice-routine/